“A lovely period house, quiet residential area, a very good breakfast, a friendly owner.”
Review of Tentry Heys

Tentry Heys
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chester
Tentry Heys
Ranked #54 of 76 Chester B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I have been visiting Chester for abut 15 years because I love it and all its history!
I have stayed in various places, all ok, but some in the outskirts of the city where I did not feel safe or comfortable.

Tentry Heys is situated in Queen's Park, a very exclusive residential area where you are not bothered at night by people coming home all hours shouting and being a nuisance.
This is important to me.

Tentry Heys is a delightful red brick house, surrounded by large well kept gardens with a fish pool. Inside it is a typical gracious house of yesteryear, large high rooms, a wide staircase and every where is painted white and is light and airy. It always smells fresh.
The bedrooms too, are very high, very large.

Also there is a large parking are where the owner allows you on the final day of your stay to leave your car at the guesthouse while you enjoy a whole day if you wish in Chester. This is significant, because you would normally have to pay steep parking fees if you wanted to extend your stay by a few extra hours in the city.

I paint this background to indicate that I do not recognise the house that the other two poor reports describe.

In the five years I have been staying at Tentry Heys, I have never been shown into a room that is dirty and not been cleaned for several years - never!

I have never been given a room where I have had to clean the toilet before I could use it - never! - never!

I have never had ripped towels - never! In fact you are given fresh towels every day.

Let me tell you my experience of the many times I have stayed there. I go to Chester at least three-four times a year. Very often, when I have gone at a quiet time, the owner, Mrs Arthur, has always offered me a choice of rooms and I have been shown each one before I decide . Each room is always freshly cleaned with clean white bedlinen and clean unripped towels!
The only thing I have to choose is an upstairs or a downstairs room and which view I prefer from the window. That is all!

The bedlinen has always been clean and I have always had a good night's sleep.
Breakfast is, as I have always experienced it, cooked while I am eating my cereal and having a cup of tea. The dining room is very pleasant and the tables are well laid with matching crockery and cutlery. The kitchen is spotlessly clean; Mrs Arthur doesn't mind having a chat in the kitchen with you before you go out. I have been there when it has been busy, it is all very civilised and convivial. Mrs Arthur is a very friendly, accommodating lady, who always asks if everything is alright and whether you need anything else.

You have your own key so that you can come and go as you please.
I have often come back to the guesthouse in the afternoon either to bring some shopping back - or to have a little rest - I always come back to a freshly cleaned room, also to fresh towels (just to repeat - they are changed daily!). The hospitality tray is refilled with tea, coffee, milk and sugar.

This then, has truthfully been my experience. I live quite a long way from Chester and I can tell you that I always look forward to going there and saying at Mrs Arthur's guest house. It is comfortable and homely. It is like going to stay with a friend or a relative in a comfortable house.

Another plus is that it is on the 'good' side of the river, it is a very nice little walk down a leafy street, across the suspension bridge - and in five to seven minutes you are by the boats and the Roman Gardens - and Chester is your oyster!

Let me tell you the good news about Tentry Heys....at the time of writing it is only £50 a night for a double room plus breakfast..

For £50 a night two people get a clean bed in a comfortable room, breakfast and free ample parking space Plus a pleasant short walk to the bridge and you are on the city side of the river!

What more can you ask for a short break in Chester where you can bed down for the night, have a good breakfast and then have your days out exploring Chester?

Please go and see for your self and give Mrs Arthur a try; she deserves it.!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank CountryLovers-2NJ

Reviewed June 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed her for one night, we really enjoyed our stay, the deco needs updating,the location is excellent and the price is good too, Barbara is very friendly talking to us making sure we was ok. We will stay here again if we return to Chester again

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Loopyloucooper
Reviewed March 15, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed in a Chester guesthouse, Tentry Heys and were quite shocked by the state of it considering the owner distributes business cards showing that it is 3* ETB rated.
The room had obviously not been dusted or properly cleaned for some years, hanging with black cobwebs. I moved a small table to get to a socket and was horrified to find thick black dust and grime behind. The "bathroom" which was behind a sliding door that didn't close properly was similarly dirty. Ironically a paper band was on the toilet stating it had been hygienically cleaned. What a joke! When I lifted it off, my hands nearly stuck to the lid which was covered in grime. My husband spoke to the owner who suggested that we find somewhere else if we were unhappy with it. Having arrived just before a pre-arranged dinner,we spent the next 2 hours trawling the net, phoning and visiting local properties instead of enjoying our first night meal in Chester. When we returned to Tentry Heys to remove our belongings the owner was in our room with a long duster insisting that "my house is not dirty!" I pointed out that it was the first time I had had to clean a toilet before using it and we left.
We had chosen this property for its proximity to the city centre but found a lovely warm welcoming place on the Hoole Road at walkable distance.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jenny W
Reviewed February 20, 2012

My husband and I went for two nights, the room was initially cold, the towels were in poor quality with rips, and the bathroom (which was like a walkin wardrobe) wasnt very clean - although there was taping across the loo to indicate it had supposidly been cleaned!!. The room generally was quite nice but needed updating as the furniture was very dated & rickety. I always judge a good B & B, and we have stayed at alot. by the breakfast.. Firstly we had the option of 3 days "out of date" activia yoghurt to go with fruit, and cerials, then a very dry full english.. I think it has been cooked first thing then warmed up as it was in need of something to moisten it, luckily we had tea to wash it down with. The location is perfect just 5 mins over bridge to town. Chester itself is a super place, weve stayed there several times but by far this is the worst B & B.... Ohh and we had a powercut in our room so couldnt use the (very small) shower..sorry Barbara (and smile love you might be a bit more welcoming!!)

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sharon H
Reviewed June 22, 2010

We went to Chester last minute for a weekend stayover and after calling around found Tentry Heys for 50 pounds. Well, you get what you pay for I guess. The room was so so cold and there wasn't any way to turn on the heat. The window coverings were basically just muslim and didn't keep out the daylight, the shower fan sounded like it was about to explode off the wall, and the shower door was the fold out kind but it didn't even properly go straight enough to close. The light only worked with the horrible sounding fan and it was too dark to shower with the light off in the tiny bathroom. There was barely enough room between your knees and the sink while on the toilet. It was grubby behind the toilet and there was a lot of dust in the fan. When we went to ask about the heat, we couldn't raise anyone to help us. It is a nice close walk into town though, and there is room for parking off the street with a gate and the host serves a delicious breakfast. Just the room was depressing and unenjoyable. Oh, and she only takes cash, which we didn't know until we arrived.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NatureNewt
Reviewed March 8, 2009

I'm 20, and have gone to Chester many many many times. It is a great place - AWESOME for shopping, the Cathedral is great - you can't go to Chester and not visit it, plus the Refectory is great for a wee cup of tea and a bun.
The Rows are great - endless and have loads of one-of-a-kind shops. I'm from Northern Ireland but know Chester like the back of my hand hehehehe :D
If you're going, you must visit the Old Fashioned Sweet Shop (just opposite the Cathedral)
Plus, 20 minutes takes you to Cheshire Oaks outdoor shopping complex.
Tentry Heyes is very convenient to the shops, in a quiet homely part of Chester, just over the bridge. We have stayed with Barbara many times, she is very friendly. The B&B has small rooms and larger ones, most are ensuite. Decor is plain, with a lot of mirrors, but is clean. And you can be guaranteed that the central heating will always be on, plus breakfast is great.
Go on, give Barbara at Tentry Heyes a go :) :) YEO!!

PS: WHY is this thing talking about a BUSINESS CENTRE, SWIMMING POOL AND RESTAURANT?? it's a B&B for goodness sake, not the Grosvenor, Chester

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank MayFairQueenBaby
Reviewed March 30, 2007

Largish pleasant looking B&B in a very quiet residential area which is just a 5-10 min walk to the City over the river via the pedestrian suspension footbridge. Stayed here 5-6 times over as many years so can't be bad. Only has a few rooms. Off street car parking is limited but parking on road is ok. Decor is ok. No downstairs living room and breakfast room can be a bit of a squeeze at times. Breakfast is ok but every year I leave the sausage. Good value small single room with sink but no bathroom.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank nic1047