“Not the best choice for good food and drink”
Review of Oaklands Hotel

Oaklands Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chester
Oaklands Hotel
Ranked #37 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Not the best choice for good food and drink”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We visited this for a meal and drinks as we were staying just down the road and saved us walking too far that night, but wouldn't make a special return visit in a hurry!

Nice enough interior with mixture of high and low tables. Beer garden out the back and large carpark at the front.

Husband and son were happy with their gammon steak meals but I was disappointed with my 'Lamb Shank meal'. The lamb shank was very tender and well cooked ,the few garden peas ok........ the bit of 'powdered' mash had been microwaved to reheat it so half of it was rock hard. The yorkshire pudding was also rock hard so obviously microwaved as well, infact so hard that I had to pick it up with my fingers to bite chunks off.The 'jug' of gravy was only a quarter filled.
Not wanting to spoil the night for the others I didn't complain but would not eat there again.

My 'sparkling' draught cider was so flat ,with froth on it, that it was not enjoyable. Had a pint of Stella and lime afterwards instead which was a bit better. But not the most well kept of drinks!

On a plus side there was free wi-fi available so son was happy.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank StaffordJas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Mackworth, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2013

rooms very dated stopped for 1 night, reminded me of throw back from the 60s. Room we had looked like a revamped office.Food not bad but lack of staff made it a problem if you were not a local resident. we had to wait. staff friendly but not really bothered how long you had waited.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dionne P

Travelers are raving about these Chester hotels

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013

very poor food - not warm and all seemed to be microwaved. Not cheap either for the standard of food - good for drinking and watching football but would not eat here again. Sure of they could just sort the food out they would get more repeat business and not just drinkers.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

I had sirloin steak of which nearly half was grissle and it was cold!!!! my son had pizza which was so burnt the cheese was rock hard!!! We noticed that a couple of tables had left more or less a whole pizza too due to the same thing. Too late to go anywhere else so we went to our hotel and went to bed hungry!!! AVOID THIS PLACE!!!!

• Stayed October 2012
Hawarden, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2012

we often go here for a drink, its a great place for a few drinks with family or friends however the food is terrible, weve tried on many occassions however food is usually dry and burnt, bread is dry and salad looks days old, everytime weve eaten we have been dissapointed so will not bother again however will continue to use as a pub, as for the hotel rooms i have not slept there however the stairway looks awaful enough to have put me off due to the scary victorian pictures on the walls which is very strange as th actual pub bit is modern. always sticky menus and tables and the manager always looks miserable.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2012

My husband and i stayed at this hotel Sept 2012. I can honestly say that this was one of the worst rooms i've ever stayed in. The room at first looked ok, a bit dated but ok. after being in there a few minutes we saw spider webs all around the ceiling the bathroom was awful, the shower head was held on with black tape and there wasn't even a bar of soap to wash your hands. The pub looks to have been refurbished, they should have taken the rooms into account as they are a big let down and i for one would never return to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank emma p
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Myself and my colleagues went for a meal here to celebrate my birthday - there was only one other group in there so it was nice and quiet. All was great and we looked at the menu and it seemed nice and reasonably priced - I ordered steak and ale pie with mash and my colleage had the roast chicken with Mash so we were ok and our food was nice - my other 3 colleagues all ordered something with chips and unfortunately the chips were cold - so they sent them back - and they came back out still cold so they sent them back again - at this point this is where the appalling customer service starts. The waitress sighs and says well he'll have to put new chips in it will take a few minutes ( if they had cooked fresh chips from the start we wouldn't be in this situation) - so third time lucky with the meals - meantime me and my colleague with the mash nave finished our meal.
the meals the chips come back again and fair enough this time the chips are hot - however the peas and onion rings are now stone cold having been sat on the plate waiting for the chef to do what he should have done in the first place.
jokingly my colleague says to the waitress "its a good job we are not mystery shoppers" to which she replies "well day I hope to earn enough wages to come out for a meal" almost justifying the poor show with the food.
She may have been after a tip - well here it is - try changing the attitude and you may find you'll earn more money
All in all put a bit of a downer on my birthday lunch and needless to say me or my 5 colleagues will not frequent this eating place again

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends