“Great short break”

Crowne Plaza Chester
Ranked #13 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Very comfortable hotel, with the very biggest bed I've ever slept in! The pool, gym and spa are really excellent facilities. I was very impressed that here was no extra charge for my daughter (who lives in Chester) to use them either. Only the charge for wifi seems unreasonable and stopped me giving this a 5 star rating. £5 for an hour! Just wanted to google local attractions and restaurants....

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
gm_cpchester, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Dear Guest

Thankyou for taking the time to review your stay with us, Im pleased you enjoyed one of our kingsized beds during your stay! Hopefully by the next time you stay with us, If you are an IHG Rewards member, The internet access will be complimentary. Free WiFi for rewards members will be introduced early next year, So hopefully the charge for the WiFi wont deter you from joining us in Chester in the future.

Kind Regards,

Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,794)

Reviewed October 29, 2013

We weren't going to the races but happened to stay here for one night when the races were on. I was a bit worried about noise - but it was fine. The rooms are good - we thought that they were up to scratch for the price. Check in was quick, very friendly and polite. The hotel is very well situated for wandering around the town of Chester. The hotel is much nicer in the rooms than the external appearance or the décor in the lobby might suggest. We found that it was a really relaxing stay (a rare child free night) and it was comfortable and a tad luxurious for stressed out parents!
We didn't have breakfast - and it is so near the town centre with its many coffee shops that if you prefer to pop out, it is easily do-able.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
gm_cpchester, Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Dear Guest,

Firstly, Thankyou for taking the time to review your stay with us. Its good to hear that you enjoyed a peaceful child free night, even though it was Chester Races! I will make sure I pass over your positive comments to our reception team in relation to your swift, yet polite check-in experience.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Chester in the future.

Regards,

Mark Tasker
Operations Manager

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Hubby and I booked an executive 2 night stay here and haven't been disappointed. Rooms are clean and functional - best bit was that our exec package included access to the club lounge where we had complimentary beer, wine and canapés between 5-8pm every evening (brilliant) and it also included breakfast which was very good.
Would like to recommend Hannah in the spa - fabulous massage for my poor knotty shoulders!
Staff have all been really welcoming and couldn't do enough for us - would def recommend!!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us in Chester, Im pleased to hear you enjoyed the benefits of our Executive Club Lounge, and our full English buffet breakfast. I will personally ensure that your positive feedback is passed over to the team during their team meetings this month.

Regards,
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed October 28, 2013

The hotel is very convenient to Chester centre, just a short walk away which is about its only real plus point. The hotel itself is tiered and not up to the usual crown plaza standards. Our room was dusty, stained and not very welcoming despite being an executive room. The bathroom was grubby with mould and past inhabitants deposits left visable to the eye.
Be aware that there are a group of contractors staying in the hotel long term, who are given access to the club lounge even though they have not paid for the access. They are rude, loud and have no regard for other residents. They cleared the complimentary food and beverages leaving nothing for other residents and were a very imposing bunch of men when drunk, leary, loud and swearing.
However, the staff are lovely and despite being goaded by the contractors remained calm and polite. However, our complaints should have been dealt with when originally raised and not ignored until check out.
We wont be staying again as it was a special weekend spoilt. The Hotel manager needs to decide if we wants to attract the usual Crowne Plaza resident or be a downmarket contractor hotel, the two don't mix.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else until the hotel is refurbished and the contractors leave
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
gm_cpchester, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your detailed review. I am grateful you took the time to discuss your comments with the management team who have taken action to rectify the issues you experienced in your room.

I can only apologise for the inconvenience caused by some of the other residents we had staying in the hotel.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

We spent an overnight here last week.
The hotel is very conveniently located for the city centre, literally a 2 min walk up the side street brings you out onto Northgate Street which is bang in the centre.
The hotel itself isn't a handsome building, the main entrance is under a rather depressing 1970's style underpass, but on the plus side you don't get wet getting if you get dropped off at the door! There is a hotel car park which was full, but we were given the same rate, by the hotel (£7 per night) at the one next door.
Room was all we needed, bath, shower, huge bed, tv, tea/coffee. Bar area was quite trendy. Didn't eat here though, so can't comment.
Would definitely stay here again for a night out in Chester.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for posting a review regarding your recent stay with us here in Chester. I am pleased you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again here in Chester. Sadly I will not be able to change the 1970 look

General Manger

Reviewed October 26, 2013

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza, Chester on business in October 2013.

My check-in was slow due to a group of overseas business travellers who all wanted to chat to the receptionist.

However, once they were out of the way, I fond the receptionist helpful and able to tell me everything within a short period of time. Room, fitness centre, breakfast etc.

The room was of good size, very clean and plenty of space for a single traveller.
I liked the touch of the sprays for a better nights sleep and that added to the calmness. The room was quiet and the bed very comfortable. Good bathroom and shower too.

Breakfast was very good too and lots of choice.

Others have commented on the price being high. I stayed for a Thursday night and using a business rate felt it was good value for money (under £90 including gym, wifi and breakfast).

I used the car park next to the hotel and only paid a couple of pounds as arrived after 6pm and left before 8am next morning. I would recommend this if arriving late and leaving early as car park could be more expensive otherwise (or if through hotel).

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

General Manger

Reviewed October 26, 2013

You won't find a smarter and more comfortable hotel than this in Chester City Centre.

Room was fantastic and large and I probably had the best night's sleep I've ever had in a hotel - my room also gave me access to the executive lounge on the 3rd floor wich served complimentart drinks and snacks each evening. You could also take a quick continental breakfast there if you did not want to go downstairs to the main restaurant for the full-monty english breakfast.

Just two minor criticisms:

1. I arrived at 21:25 and was advised at reception that the restaurant was still open for orders - when I got in the restaurant at 21:30 I was advised that they stopped taking orders at 21:30

2. The window seat I had in the restaurant for breakfast had some paint peeling off the wall next to me; the mould kindda put me off my breakfast a little, which was a shame as they had a great selection which tasted great until I'd noticed this.

I didn't use the spa facilities, although i understand that there were some within the hotel somewhere.

Notwithstanding the above minor critcisms, I would deffinately stay here again, and if it were not for these minor details, would have given the Crowne Plaza a rating of excellent.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Andy_and_Mark

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent stay with us here in Chester. I was pleased to read that you had a fantastic nights sleep and enjoyed the use of the Club Lounge.

I have noted your comments regarding the paint work and restaurant opening times for resolution.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Chester in the near future.