“Location a plus and a minus”

Crowne Plaza Chester
Ranked #10 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Gouda, The Netherlands
“Location a plus and a minus”
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here 4 nights for work and liked the central location, just a few meters from the shopping streets and restaurants. The downstairs entrance though is in a very (!!) uninviting and at night a bit creepy area next to a parking structure. Not a nice place to walk on your own. The room was fine, complementary bottles of water and good bathroom facilities. Breakfast is okay, with croissants, breads, hot dishes, cereals etc.

• Stayed July 2013
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your time with us.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and I would like to assure you that our downstairs entrance is constantly monitored and very safe. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Mark Thacker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Turkish first
La Plata, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Do not let be impressed by the first sight of the place. Outdoors is not as it is indoors. Once you get into the lobby everything changes. Lobby and ground floor are really luxury.
The rooms are simpler ones but they are very comfortable and quite clean. Though an executive one, it lacks large dimensions but it was OK. We have been upgraded to Club level so we had access to the Club lounge: not great but OK.
Down: Wi fi access
Ups: one: Location. The center is just one block walking.
Second: Spa and fitness center. Indoors swimming pool is immaculate and though having arrived there only 45 minutes before closing time in no moment the young in care showed any sign of hurrying us. Relax at the swimming pool after a long day visiting Chester was a pleasant moment.
To get the hotel from the train station, we took a taxi which was not very expensive.
We loved Chester, if it happens to come back I would go again to this hotel.

1 Thank AndreaF_11
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking your time to review your stay with us.

I am very pleased to read that you found our hotel to be comfortable and relaxing. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed our leisure facilities even for a short amount of time – I hope to welcome you back very soon for another trip to Chester.

Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We went to The Crown Plaza for my Daughters Hen night and it was fab. We had arranged to do pole dancing and this was held in the Hotel, straight after that we went in the Spa and off to our rooms to get ready. The rooms were lovely and very quite which I love. We had access to the executive lounge so we all gathered in there before we left for the evening. It was great in the morning to as we could all eat together in the lounge.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor and it was perfect.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Julie M
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your break with us.

I am extremely pleased to read that you enjoyed your daughter’s hen night you organised with us as well as the spa and your room. I hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Rhyl, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel last weekend, for a mother and daughter spa break and we had a great time, we were upgraded to executive room although not the largest it was very comfortable. We used the facilities which were great and had excellent treatments at the spa, staff were very good and reception staff excellent. Thank you all for a great time just what we needed. Debbie Rollins

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Debbie,

Thank you for taking the time to review your spa break with us, I’m very pleased to read that everything was extremely enjoyable and it was just what you and your daughter needed. I hope to welcome you both back for another relaxing break.

cuffley
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This hotel is situated within the city walls. Approx 5 mins taxi ride £4.00 from railway station. Reception is on first floor and the staff are very helpful. Daily newspapers available for free - just collect from paper stand in reception. Check in and out easy.
Rooms are light and airy. Complimentary water everyday and fridge in room. Bedtime saw a small package placed beside the bed with aroma therapy sprays for good nights sleep. Comfy bed, dressing gowns and slippers provided, If you have forgotten toothpaste or other essentials a call to reception and complimentary supplies appear.
Its only a short walk to main shopping area turn right out of hotel.
Breakfast good, staff attentive for replenishing supplies. Chef happy to cook omelettes etc .

Room Tip: Check out prices for your stay on line eg trivago.We never paid up front for breakfast and paid £10...
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your time with us.

I am very pleased to read that your time with us was excellent and everything you experienced was wonderful. I hope you enjoyed the little touches we provided; the aromatherapy kits really do help you drop off. I hope to welcome you back for another relaxing stay.

Isle of Man
Reviewed July 22, 2013

With most large hotels these days you are guaranteed a decent room and a shower that works. What determines a good or bad hotel is the little things. Sadly, the Crowne Plaza Chester did not really live up to it's price tag...
Following his cancer treatment my husband had his last consultant's appointment scheduled for a Monday, so we decided to take advantage of the racing at Chester and turn the trip into a celebratory weekend break. We had stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Cambridge when my husband was there on business and it had been absolutely faultless, so had no hesitation in paying the rather hefty charge to stay at it's sister hotel in Chester.
When we arrived the hotel car park barrier wasn't working and no one was answering the call button, so we had to pay to park in the public car park until we had checked in and sorted the problem out. We had arrived before lunch so didn't mind that our rooms weren't available but asked for somewhere where we could change our clothes and get ready to go the race course. We were directed to the changing rooms at the spa - perhaps a reasonable enough solution on the face of it, but my husband said the male room was full of people showering, the floor was soaked and everywhere was steamy and wet; he ended up going back along the corridor and changing in the toilet.
When we got back from the races we went to our room, kicked off our shoes and opened the minibar - it contained just two bottles of water. Thinking that it might just be an error due to being busy, we said nothing and expected it to be replenished next day. It wasn't - nor were the bottles of water that we drank replaced. On check out we were told that management is phasing out the minibar system.
The breakfast in Cambridge was the best hotel cooked breakfast I had ever eaten and their waffles were absolutely scrummy, so I was looking forward to a delicious Sunday morning breakfast. Unfortunately I was to be disappointed - less choice, less well prepared. The fruit salad was sat in so much water it was virtually tasteless and the grapefruit didn't appear to have a single unbroken segment in it. The hot buffet looked as though it had been sat there for hours - dry bacon, crusty beans, chewy hash browns, very dark and wrinkly sausages, solid fried eggs and the most dry looking scrambled egg I have ever seen (someone put a dollop of butter over it to try and improve the look, but it didn't work!). On the other side of the buffet I was shocked to see preserves still in their supermarket jars - one doesn't expect jars of Tesco Lime Marmalade in a hotel of this rating! The few Danish pastries on offer also had a sad supermarket look to them. Trying to be generous I thought again that perhaps it was due to being busy and would improve the next day, but it didn't and in fact was worse - when I asked for tea I was given a pot of hot water and with the tea bag delivered separately a full five minutes later...
My husband needed to access the hotel's Wi-Fi to keep up with work e-mails but we had to pay £15 per day for this (most hotels are free these days). Sadly the connection was so bad that we ended up walking down the street and standing outside another establishment!
In fairness to the reception staff, they were all friendly, helpful and polite and were a pleasure to deal with. Our room was a reasonable size and clean. But at Crown Plaza rates, this wasn't enough to make up for the lack of attention to detail elsewhere and we left feeling rather ripped-off and disappointed.

Room Tip: If a minibar is important to you, check whether your room actually has one.
Dear guest,

I am sorry to read that your time with us was disappointing and you left feeling dissatisfied.

Firstly, I would like to extend my apologies concerning the car park barrier; someone should always be there to answer the alarm, but unfortunately when we are busy it can be hard to ensure someone is in the vicinity to respond. I’m sorry there wasn’t a more appropriate location for you and your husband to change clothes but nonetheless, I hope you enjoyed your day at the races.

Breakfast, as you correctly observed, is one of the busiest times of day for us but this is no excuse for a slip in our high standards. As we usually receive the highest compliments from our guests about breakfast, I will be looking into this instance to ensure it doesn’t happen again.

Our WiFi is free for guests who are of Gold or Elite status in the IHG Rewards Club. This service will become available for other guests next year. I am pleased, however, to read that you found our team members to be excellent and your room clean, comfortable and spacious.

I would like the opportunity to restore your faith in Crowne Plaza Chester and invite you to email me on gm.cpchester@qmh-hotels.com so we can discuss your review further.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Very nice spacious hotel. We had a family suite. We didn`t use the pool as we thought we might as we were out and about in Chester instead. Beautiful city well worth a weekend trip with lots to see, and loads of history.
Hotel reception staff were great, very helpful and seemed to love their job! The sofa bed hadn`t been made up when we got there but a quick phone call sorted that.
The restaurant food was good, there was something lacking in the ambience but I`m not sure what....music?? the breakfast was first class.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review.

I am very pleased to read that you found your stay with us as a family to be excellent. I’m pleased our team members were impressive and I have taken notes concerning the ambience of our restaurant. I hope to welcome you all back soon for another relaxing stay and an excellent breakfast.