“It's the little things that matter...”

Crowne Plaza Chester
Ranked #10 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed July 22, 2013

With most large hotels these days you are guaranteed a decent room and a shower that works. What determines a good or bad hotel is the little things. Sadly, the Crowne Plaza Chester did not really live up to it's price tag...
Following his cancer treatment my husband had his last consultant's appointment scheduled for a Monday, so we decided to take advantage of the racing at Chester and turn the trip into a celebratory weekend break. We had stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Cambridge when my husband was there on business and it had been absolutely faultless, so had no hesitation in paying the rather hefty charge to stay at it's sister hotel in Chester.
When we arrived the hotel car park barrier wasn't working and no one was answering the call button, so we had to pay to park in the public car park until we had checked in and sorted the problem out. We had arrived before lunch so didn't mind that our rooms weren't available but asked for somewhere where we could change our clothes and get ready to go the race course. We were directed to the changing rooms at the spa - perhaps a reasonable enough solution on the face of it, but my husband said the male room was full of people showering, the floor was soaked and everywhere was steamy and wet; he ended up going back along the corridor and changing in the toilet.
When we got back from the races we went to our room, kicked off our shoes and opened the minibar - it contained just two bottles of water. Thinking that it might just be an error due to being busy, we said nothing and expected it to be replenished next day. It wasn't - nor were the bottles of water that we drank replaced. On check out we were told that management is phasing out the minibar system.
The breakfast in Cambridge was the best hotel cooked breakfast I had ever eaten and their waffles were absolutely scrummy, so I was looking forward to a delicious Sunday morning breakfast. Unfortunately I was to be disappointed - less choice, less well prepared. The fruit salad was sat in so much water it was virtually tasteless and the grapefruit didn't appear to have a single unbroken segment in it. The hot buffet looked as though it had been sat there for hours - dry bacon, crusty beans, chewy hash browns, very dark and wrinkly sausages, solid fried eggs and the most dry looking scrambled egg I have ever seen (someone put a dollop of butter over it to try and improve the look, but it didn't work!). On the other side of the buffet I was shocked to see preserves still in their supermarket jars - one doesn't expect jars of Tesco Lime Marmalade in a hotel of this rating! The few Danish pastries on offer also had a sad supermarket look to them. Trying to be generous I thought again that perhaps it was due to being busy and would improve the next day, but it didn't and in fact was worse - when I asked for tea I was given a pot of hot water and with the tea bag delivered separately a full five minutes later...
My husband needed to access the hotel's Wi-Fi to keep up with work e-mails but we had to pay £15 per day for this (most hotels are free these days). Sadly the connection was so bad that we ended up walking down the street and standing outside another establishment!
In fairness to the reception staff, they were all friendly, helpful and polite and were a pleasure to deal with. Our room was a reasonable size and clean. But at Crown Plaza rates, this wasn't enough to make up for the lack of attention to detail elsewhere and we left feeling rather ripped-off and disappointed.

Room Tip: If a minibar is important to you, check whether your room actually has one.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear guest,

I am sorry to read that your time with us was disappointing and you left feeling dissatisfied.

Firstly, I would like to extend my apologies concerning the car park barrier; someone should always be there to answer the alarm, but unfortunately when we are busy it can be hard to ensure someone is in the vicinity to respond. I’m sorry there wasn’t a more appropriate location for you and your husband to change clothes but nonetheless, I hope you enjoyed your day at the races.

Breakfast, as you correctly observed, is one of the busiest times of day for us but this is no excuse for a slip in our high standards. As we usually receive the highest compliments from our guests about breakfast, I will be looking into this instance to ensure it doesn’t happen again.

Our WiFi is free for guests who are of Gold or Elite status in the IHG Rewards Club. This service will become available for other guests next year. I am pleased, however, to read that you found our team members to be excellent and your room clean, comfortable and spacious.

I would like the opportunity to restore your faith in Crowne Plaza Chester and invite you to email me on gm.cpchester@qmh-hotels.com so we can discuss your review further.

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Chester

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Very nice spacious hotel. We had a family suite. We didn`t use the pool as we thought we might as we were out and about in Chester instead. Beautiful city well worth a weekend trip with lots to see, and loads of history.
Hotel reception staff were great, very helpful and seemed to love their job! The sofa bed hadn`t been made up when we got there but a quick phone call sorted that.
The restaurant food was good, there was something lacking in the ambience but I`m not sure what....music?? the breakfast was first class.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review.

I am very pleased to read that you found your stay with us as a family to be excellent. I’m pleased our team members were impressive and I have taken notes concerning the ambience of our restaurant. I hope to welcome you all back soon for another relaxing stay and an excellent breakfast.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed here for a night on business. The hotel has its own secure car park (£7.50 overnight charge) and seems to be aimed largely at conference guests, there were certainly a few events on whilst I was there. The check in was easy and a very pleasant lady chatted to be about the hotel and local area. The room was a good size with plenty of electrical sockets - this is surprisingly rare!
I had room service which was ok but it's the first salad I have had where the chicken has had bone fragments in it! Breakfast in the morning was lovely with a good selection of food.
The best selling point of the hotel is the location - 2 minutes walk gets you into the picture postcard centre of Chester.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your time with us.

I am extremely pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found everything to your liking. Whereas I am happy you found your room to be comfortable and our location a bonus, I am sorry to read that your meal wasn’t quite up to scratch. I will be sure to mention this to our chef so this will hopefully never happen again. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

This is a perfectly acceptable hotel - but beware the extras. Immediately next door to the hotel is a car park which charges £2 for overnight parking - pre-payable. Not having any change I approached reception to get some coins. They told me not to park there but to go to their own car park farther down the street. I did as I was told and found £7.50 added to my bill the following morning. Only after a lengthy exchange with the receptionist was the charge reduced to £2. And since when was £5 per hour an acceptable charge for wi-fi in the bedroom? I stayed in 3 separate hotels on this trip and this was the only one to attempt to charge me anything for wi-fi. Surely if you have wi-fi access in the hotel rooms, the norm is to provide it free of charge. Well, Crowne Plaza, if this is company policy, I certainly shall not be staying with you again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for your review.

The car park next to our hotel is not managed by us and we cannot guarantee the safety of your car unlike our car park which we know is monitored 24/7 with CCTV and is very secure. I agree, our team members should have pointed this out and the charge; I will mention this to our reception team to ensure this doesn’t happen again. Our charge is within line for secure car parking in central Chester and we monitor these prices to ensure our guests are getting a good deal. The rate of £2.00 is from 5pm untill 6.3am when considerably higher charges are applied as it is a short stay car park

Concerning our WiFi charges, it is free for our Gold and Elite members of our IHG Rewards club in any IHG hotel for the duration of their stay. Despite you finding us a perfectly acceptable hotel, I am sorry you stated you won’t be returning. I hope you change your mind so I can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Great location,nice big rooms which happened to be air conditioned and needed to be. Bed was comfortable and the room came with standard complimentary basics. Did use the spa and pool albeit the pool was nice and steam room was a welcome addition the cleanliness was poor. Nothing more repulsive then dodging man hair when walking round the changing rooms.Shower area needed a good clean and they had no soap dispensers. Location was excellent and at the doorstep of the city. However this room cost a ridiculous amount and for that I would have expected much more

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for reviewing your time with us.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us although you found it lacking for the price you paid. I have taken into consideration your comments concerning the cleanliness of the leisure facilities and I will be certain to discuss this with our team members.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were using the hotel as a base over a weekend, the functional side of the hotel all works and the staff were very helpful to us.
The main arrival/departure point is on the lower ground floor and is not at all appealing, the reception is on the next floor up (well organised and efficient with staff who do actually go the extra mile). The restaurant and other areas are on the ground floor which is actually not on the ground at all and has access to the hotel's own car park (very limited spaces), note that the alternative parking option is not far away but it does shut overnight and this can cause issues!
There are very limited disabled parking spaces in the hotel car park - if you require one talk to the staff.
Many of the carpets in general areas need replacing, however our room was large and comfortable and well equipped, the wall paper was starting to peel in places but everything was clean and worked well.
On the days we stayed, the lady front of house in the restaurant for breakfast was exceptional and made the experience (the selection and quality of the food were excellent also).

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank L0GCH0PPER
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share the highlights from your stay with us.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found everything to your liking. I am continually proud of our team members and the wonderful compliments they receive. I will share your kind words with them and I’m very happy you found our food to be high quality. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We arrived on a Saturday morning and the receptionist was very helpful as i needed directions to a hairdresser quickly very quick check in our room was lovely and i really appreciated the magnifying illuminated mirror we had a great stay and it is very conveniant for the town center i would stay here again !

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found everything to your liking, especially our check in service and the bedroom furnishings. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.