“Beware the rip-off extras”

Crowne Plaza Chester
Ranked #10 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Clane, Ireland
“Beware the rip-off extras”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This is a perfectly acceptable hotel - but beware the extras. Immediately next door to the hotel is a car park which charges £2 for overnight parking - pre-payable. Not having any change I approached reception to get some coins. They told me not to park there but to go to their own car park farther down the street. I did as I was told and found £7.50 added to my bill the following morning. Only after a lengthy exchange with the receptionist was the charge reduced to £2. And since when was £5 per hour an acceptable charge for wi-fi in the bedroom? I stayed in 3 separate hotels on this trip and this was the only one to attempt to charge me anything for wi-fi. Surely if you have wi-fi access in the hotel rooms, the norm is to provide it free of charge. Well, Crowne Plaza, if this is company policy, I certainly shall not be staying with you again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for your review.

The car park next to our hotel is not managed by us and we cannot guarantee the safety of your car unlike our car park which we know is monitored 24/7 with CCTV and is very secure. I agree, our team members should have pointed this out and the charge; I will mention this to our reception team to ensure this doesn’t happen again. Our charge is within line for secure car parking in central Chester and we monitor these prices to ensure our guests are getting a good deal. The rate of £2.00 is from 5pm untill 6.3am when considerably higher charges are applied as it is a short stay car park

Concerning our WiFi charges, it is free for our Gold and Elite members of our IHG Rewards club in any IHG hotel for the duration of their stay. Despite you finding us a perfectly acceptable hotel, I am sorry you stated you won’t be returning. I hope you change your mind so I can welcome you back in the future.

Mark Thacker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Great location,nice big rooms which happened to be air conditioned and needed to be. Bed was comfortable and the room came with standard complimentary basics. Did use the spa and pool albeit the pool was nice and steam room was a welcome addition the cleanliness was poor. Nothing more repulsive then dodging man hair when walking round the changing rooms.Shower area needed a good clean and they had no soap dispensers. Location was excellent and at the doorstep of the city. However this room cost a ridiculous amount and for that I would have expected much more

• Stayed July 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for reviewing your time with us.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us although you found it lacking for the price you paid. I have taken into consideration your comments concerning the cleanliness of the leisure facilities and I will be certain to discuss this with our team members.

Somerset, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were using the hotel as a base over a weekend, the functional side of the hotel all works and the staff were very helpful to us.
The main arrival/departure point is on the lower ground floor and is not at all appealing, the reception is on the next floor up (well organised and efficient with staff who do actually go the extra mile). The restaurant and other areas are on the ground floor which is actually not on the ground at all and has access to the hotel's own car park (very limited spaces), note that the alternative parking option is not far away but it does shut overnight and this can cause issues!
There are very limited disabled parking spaces in the hotel car park - if you require one talk to the staff.
Many of the carpets in general areas need replacing, however our room was large and comfortable and well equipped, the wall paper was starting to peel in places but everything was clean and worked well.
On the days we stayed, the lady front of house in the restaurant for breakfast was exceptional and made the experience (the selection and quality of the food were excellent also).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank L0GCH0PPER
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share the highlights from your stay with us.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found everything to your liking. I am continually proud of our team members and the wonderful compliments they receive. I will share your kind words with them and I’m very happy you found our food to be high quality. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We arrived on a Saturday morning and the receptionist was very helpful as i needed directions to a hairdresser quickly very quick check in our room was lovely and i really appreciated the magnifying illuminated mirror we had a great stay and it is very conveniant for the town center i would stay here again !

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found everything to your liking, especially our check in service and the bedroom furnishings. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

This was our second visit to the hotel, this time for husbands birthday, the check in and out was very quick and staff polite and helpful. The breakfast was hot and plentiful. Had a great time in Chester even the weather was great. If I had one gripe it would be that the carpet in our room could do with being cleaned. Will hopefully return later this year.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am very pleased to read that your time was excellent and you enjoyed every aspect of your break. I have taken notes concerning your carpet and I will be sure to discuss this further with our housekeeping team. I hope to welcome you back to Chester in the near future..

melbourne
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Just another hotel which was poor by comparison to its namesake in Melbourne.
Whilst it provided a decent bed it was a little disappointing for the price paid.I'm not sure of the hotel options in Chester maybe The Travelodge might have been a better option,i know it was a heck of a lot cheaper.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review.

I am disappointed to read that your stay with us was not what you expected and I am sorry that you did not enjoy yourself.

Newton Aycliffe, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Can only recommend this hotel. Location is ideal if you're staying in Chester. I would advise booking in advance as we couldn't get in here on Saturday night. We booked elsewhere outside Chester for the Saturday night and booked this for the Sunday night. My only gripe is that the bar staff weren't as quick as they should have been. Everything else was really good. Room was a decent size and the bed was really comfortable. Bathroom was okay too. Breakfast had a great choice and only the really fussy might be disappointed. All the staff were polite and very helpful. We did look at some other hotels while we were here and I'm sure we picked one of the best. It's not the cheapest but we did get a good deal.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of your time with us.

I am very pleased to read your stay with us was fantastic and you found it excellent. I have taken notes concerning your thoughts on our bar service and will be sure to see if there is anything we can do to speed it up next time. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.