“Executive?” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 45 Hotels in Chester
London, United Kingdom
“Executive?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Stayed here for one night on a combined business/pleasure trip with my wife. Someone else chose the hotel and booked the room. I do not like to have to enter the hotel through a gloomy underpass. Nor do I like the Crown chain's pretentious aesthetics once you get indoors - much to much red and bling and cheap marble - but I realize that many people will disagree.

On the plus side the hotel is centrally located, the staff in the reception was very welcoming and helpful and our (third floor?) Executive Room was spacious and clean - with a stunning view over the race court towards the mountains in Wales.

On the minus side the window had net curtains that could not be drawn unless you stood on a chair to unhook it in the corner - only to discover that one of the double glazings had been punctured and was misted over. And even worse, the windows could not be opened - a real turn-off in any hotel room. The King Bed was good but the pillows were all the same: Too big and too firm.

Also, Executive meant access to a lounge, which turned out to be a crowded, confined space with no real windows and a television on full blast. This was also where the included, continental breakfast was served - or rather, set out, since there was no staff in sight. The selection was limited and not very good, several of the plates were dirty, and there was not enough cutlery.

On top of that, you had to pay for wifi access. Really, in 2013? If that's executive I am glad we didn't end up in a regular room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us.

I am sorry to read that although you found several aspects of your stay good, you left feeling disappointed with what you experienced. Firstly, I would like to explain why our bedroom windows do not open due to safety reasons. I understand this is uncomfortable for some guests but it is a Health and Safety necessity. I am pleased to announce that should you be a Gold or Platinum member of our IHG Rewards Club (formally the Priority Club) you will receive complimentary WiFi for the duration of your stay.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Mark Thacker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Took my wife for her birthday... hoped my platinum status and the fact I sent an email, would get us some little extras but it got us nothing! Room ok, good location. I expect there are much hotels in Chester, don't expect their loyalty scheme to count for anything.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am sorry to read that you found your platinum status was not taken into account during your time with us but I am pleased you brought it to my attention so I can ensure this never happens again with our guests. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

derbyshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in an ‘executive’ room at the Crowne plaza in Chester.

Good points:
Excellent, attentive & helpful staff.
Good location.
Nice Spa
Excecutive lounge was nice, but could be bigger

Bad Points
Executive room was not quiet due to adjoining door.
Executive room appeared no different from standard room
Expensive parking, when you can see it cheaper from the room window.
Wi-Fi not complimentary (and expensive)
No attempt for glass recycling in executive lounge
Black-out curtains did not.
Aspects of room dusty
Loo roll was the cheapest available.

Room Tip: avoid exec rooms with adjoining doors
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us.

I am pleased to read that you found our executive lounge to be nice and our team members excellent. I am concerned to read that you found multiple issues with your executive room which left you feeling dissatisfied with your stay. I have taken all your comments on board and they will be discussed with our team members as soon as possible to ensure this does not happen again. I hope this will not deter you from returning to us in the future.

Blackpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

After a hectic week working all over Europe our Chester weekend was eagerly awaited. First visit to this hotel and initially the unusual set up with a combined multi story car park was a little unexpected. But from the checking in to check out the stay was excellent. The staff here are the most cheerful and most polite, friendly I have come across. Well done to all of you. We took a club room and it was very clean, large enough and very relaxing. We did not have a view but this was about retail therapy and chilling. The restaurant food was good, tasty and with a rose Pinot at 20 Gpb a very good price for a hotel of this class. Bar and restaurant have good views and service excellent. The club lounge is on the small size but I was not here for that. You walk out the door turn right left and you are in the main pedestrian shopping area. So super location. Spent far to much in the lovely shops and had relaxing time in the hotel. Had a room in a quiet zone on the 4th floor and sleep was super. My test for a hotel is would I go back again , and I can say absolutely yes. Good job !!

Room Tip: We were in the quiet zone on the 4th floor, was great sleep. No noise ! No night clubs no shouting n...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found our team members to be the most cheerful you have come across as well as having a wonderful night’s sleep. I’m extremely happy to read that your stay was so good and I will share it with our team members so they know how good a job they’re doing.

I hope to welcome you back soon,

Twyford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

Excellent location in the charming city of Chester. Helpful staff, parking available on site, good selection available at breakfast.
If you enjoy a decent pint, you will have to seek out one of the many excellent local pubs. The hotel bar had numerous lagers available, but no real ales. I understand that hotel bars may not sell sufficient volume to warrant ale on tap, but surely it is possible to offer a selection of bottled ales. We do not all drink lager !

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found everything to your liking. I have taken your comments on board concerning the ales and I will discuss them with our teams. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Poulton Le Fylde, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just had a 3 night break here and found it very relaxing. My husband has some mobility problems after breaking a leg but the hotel staff helpfully gave us a first floor room close to the lifts. The hotel entrance is in an underpass, leading to the car park, which seems rather bleak but once inside it was spotless in the elegant public areas as well as the bedrooms, which had all you could need for a good weekend. Everyone was very friendly. The town centre is close so it is easy to find from the hotel. I took advantage of the pool and spa; had a massage with shells which was very relaxing. I had the best few nights sleep I've had in ages - partly due to the quiet atmosphere and partly to the very comfortable firm bed. We booked room only as we went to Chester to meet up with friends living nearby, but we would certainly return to the hotel again and try their food as the menu looked very tasty.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and had a wonderful couple of nights sleep with us. I’m very happy to read that everything you encountered during your stay was perfect and you would happily return in the future. I look forward to welcoming you back when you’re next in Chester.

Wirral
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just got back from an overnight stay here.
on arrival,Rebbeka at reception was cheerful,polite and very helpfull-she is an asset to this hotel-I do hope management appreciate such a good advert for the place!!!
Had an executive room,on the 3rd floor-very good room,with wonderful views to the Welsh hills.
The club lounge,with canapes from 5-8pm,hot and cold drinks-beer,wine,etc,was a nice place to sit,chat and have a drink before dinner-free internet,tv etc.
Both dinner and breakfast,was included in the deal,and we enjoyed both meals-dinner was greay-and the buffet breakfast was wonderful.
Every member of staff was happy and cheerful.
Thank you Chester,we has a wonderful visit!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us. I will be sure to share your review with the team members in question and I’m very happy to read that everything was to your liking during your stay. I hope to welcome you back to the hotelsoon.