“Great location and value for money”

Crowne Plaza Chester
Ranked #10 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed here for a three day break in March. We chose it because of its location, a three minute walk to the shops in Watergate Street, and its modern facilities including a great indoor swimming pool. We were not disappointed. The hotel was spacious, comfortable and efficiently run by very helpful staff in all areas. We booked regular king bed rooms online with breakfast included at a good rate. The rooms were spacious and well equipped. Our room, 135, was very warm, even when the radiator was turned off. This was due to the main heating pipe running along the skirting board. We managed to get the room temperature under control using the efficient air conditioning unit - a little surprising for March. Breakfast was the normal buffet style with a good choice of hot and cold food. There was also a small a la carte section, but beware. Don't order these if you are in a hurry. One of our party had to wait 30 minutes for a small portion of smoked haddock! We tried the Silks Bar for dinner on one occasion. It was adequate rather than special. We later decided to try the multitude of cafes and restaurants that abound in Chester. If arriving by car there is a very convenient and secure car park attached to the hotel. Overall a very good choice.

Room Tip: Rooms facing west have great views over the racecourse to the Welsh hills together with lovely sunse...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your time with us.

I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found everything during your stay to be to your liking. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Chester

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We Stayed at the Crown Plaza Chester for 1 night, it was a birthday treat for my Husband and booked a spa package in the Executive Room.
The Room itself was nice, clean and comfortable, we had robes but no slippers, and found the room to be a little warm, could not get the air conditioning to go below 17 and had to sleep with the window open. We did not use the mini bar, or the Executive Lounge.
The swimming Pool and Leisure facilites were not the best kept, and i found them to be a little unkept, the female changing rooms had towles left all over and the area around the pool had cups left by the side.
The Staff at the Hotel were very helpful, and the location of the hotel is excellent.
The breakfast at the hotel is lovely, so much choice and freshly cooked and good quality food. Although the staff were helpful, basic things like milk and sugar, butter was only on some of the tables, not all of them and when asked they said they were running out!
Overall we enjoyed the stay for the money would probably have expected a little higher standard, but if we were to return to Chester would consider staying here if the price was less.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us.

I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and our spa package. I’m glad your room was comfortable and you found our team members to be very helpful and your breakfast to be of a high quality. I have taken your comments concerning the tidiness of our leisure facilities into account and I will be sure to discuss them further with our housekeeping team. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed in this hotel on 1st and 2nd Feb with my daughter for a spa weekend on 2 night weekend break with dinner on 1st night. Excellent location, nice room and lovely dinner on Friday night and as the restaurant was nearly empty did not bother to book for next night. However at 8.30pm on Saturday night we were refused a table as we hadn't booked even though there were several tables empty in the restaurant and we had to eat in the bar,they wouldn't let us have the restaurant menu and the bar menu was overpriced and rubbish to be honest. I complained on checking out and the receptionist took my details but nobody contacted me. On the plus side the spa treatments were wonderful and the staff in the spa very pleasant.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Thank you for reviewing your time with us.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us including your meal and spa treatments. I’m sorry you were turned away the second night for dinner but as we get very busy it is hotel policy to book a table for dinner to avoid disappointment. If you would like to discuss anything further directly with me, please email me on gm.cpchester@qmh-hotels.com.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Jut stayed at This Hotel in Chester for my cousins graduation. I am used to staying in Crowne Plaza's in America London and Europe. This was an Older styled Crowne Plaza nestled in the heart of Chester walking distance to the cathedral and the city centre was a stones throw away so location was excellent. The room itself was small compared to other Crowne Plaza's, but comfy and clean. The facilities were as you would expect bar, restaurants, spa gym pool etc. We were lucky to be upgraded to Club exec floor which is always a bonus with access to the lounge for free beverages, snacks and alcohol in the evening always a nice perk. We had lunch at the bar and buffet breakfast in the morning all satisfactory. I would say this was an average hotel, the staff however were really friendly and pleasant at all times so top marks there, Jack at the bar was especially helpful throughout our stay and made cocktails to order he took care of us. The hotel itself could probably do with updating but all round this is a reliable hotel with all the facilities you need and in a very good location.The staff that make this hotel somewhere you would return as you feel looked after.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KazandtheGang

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us.

I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and found our hotel to cater for everything you needed while with us. I am happy you found our team members to be helpful, friendly and polite throughout your time with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I booked a stay for 1 night for our anniversary for myself, my husband and our 2 daughters aged 8 & 6 years. I work in travel and don't comment often but have to say what an exceptional hotel this is.
I had contacted the hotel by email before our stay to check a few things and they replied within minutes which was great.
We arrived at the hotel on 16th March at about 10am, we had caught an early train and while aware it was to early for check in we asked if we could leave our bag. The reception staff couldn't have been more helpful, they let me fill the check in form in to save time later and stored our bag for us. We asked how to get to the shops etc... And they gave very good directions.
After doing some shopping and sightseeing we returned to the hotel at 1.30 to see if the room was ready, it wasn't but they gave us the room key cards as as we had booked an executive room said we could go to the lounge for a drink and someone would come and tell us when the room was ready.
10 ,minutes later a really nice young man came and told us the room was ready for us.
The room was really nice, very clean and had loads of room even with the 2 extra beds they had put in for our daughters. We had been left extra towels and even a bottle of wine courtesy of the hotel for our anniversary.
We went out for something to eat so I can't comment on the restaurant but we came back at 5pm so my husband could watch the rugby. The club lounge serves soft drinks all day but from 5-8pm it serves alcoholic drinks (bottles of beer, blue vk and wine) but as we had the children we didn't really want to go in as assumed it would be busy. The hotel gave us a family pass so we didn't have to miss our and we had our drinks in the bar which was exceptional. Very nice to be able to sit and have a few drinks while watching the rugby and our children had been given an activity pack from reception so that kept them well entertained.
We even took a drink back to the room at about 7pm.
My husband went to the lounge at 8pm to get us a few coffees before bed but the coffee machine broke, he called reception to see if the could do anything and they said someone will be sent to fix this however in the mean time he was welcome to get a coffee from the bar which he did. Again couldn't fault the staff!
Beds are great and comfortable my only negative would be the noisy neighbours we had who argued most of the night and slammed the door then lets say 'made up' for the rest of it. Can't blame the hotel for this but it did ruin the night a bit.
Plenty of hot water in the morning for all 4 of us to have a shower and breakfast was amazing!
The hotel even called us a taxi the next day which arrived within minutes.

All in all a wonderful stay, every member of staff we met where brilliant and couldn't do enough for us. I don't understand these reviews about it being standard it's nothing of the sort. I stay in a lot of hotels with my job some bing top 5 stars and haven't had service like this.

We will be returning

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful and concise review of our hotel.

I am very pleased to read that everything, especially the service you received from our team members was nothing short of excellent. I am very happy that you and your family enjoyed your time with us and left feeling refreshed and satisfied with your night at Crowne Plaza Chester. I look forward to welcoming you all back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

As a weekly traveller I have stayed in all the chains and managed to get top-tier at Hilton and Marriott and have always been rewarded for my loyalty. So as a Platinum Elite we stayed at the Crowne Plaza as a quick break and wished we never :( I was told that there was no upgrades, unable to use the Executive lounge because hotel policy and have been charged £20 for breakfast.
The room is very average, clean but there is some dust and black marks on the walls ( and a couple of cobwebs for good measure!).
Lots of noise .. Emergency services all night like Beruit!! As someone who brings new clients and colleagues into hotels all the time then certainly this hotel for its poor service is off the list.
Maybe time to look for loyalty from another chain who do want me business :)
I can't say anything positive...

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank basisboy

Thank you for reviewing your time with us.

I’m disappointed to read that your time with us was not enjoyable and you found nothing positive to say about our hotel. I have taken your comments concerning the cleanliness of your room and your Priority Points and will be sure to discuss them with our team members. If you could like to discuss any of the issues you encountered with me further, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly on gm.cpchester@qmh-hotels.com.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Having stayed at the crown plaza several times , I would recommend it . The rooms are lovely and clean ,the breakfast is delicious and an excellent variety of choice .The staff are lovely and very helpful .

Room Tip: All the rooms we have had have been excellent
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for reviewing your time with us.

I’m pleased to read that you have always enjoyed your stays with us and would happily recommend us to others. I’m glad you enjoy everything our hotel has to offer and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.