“Would not stay again - Incredibly bland hotel”

Crowne Plaza Chester
Ranked #12 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed September 27, 2011

I stayed recently for a business conference and I can 100% say that I will never stay again. It wasn't terrible don't get me wrong but in every area there was something not right and this added up to an unpleasant experience that I would not care to repeat.

As some reviewers have said the entrance is not the easiest to find and when I tried to park in the hotel car park (at 8am) it was full. After having dumped my car outside the hotel I had to then go and find reception to ask where to park. Reception is up a flight of stairs and around a corner so not easy just to run in and ask. I was told there was an overspill car park and it was around the corner. The car park is never locked as far as I can tell and on arrival I had to swerve to avoid 2 tramps. I certainly did not feel safe parking there and on my exit the next day there were 4 tramps fighting (this was actually pretty awful and for a lone female traveller a terrifying experience) This overflow car park is not to be recommended especially as you have to pay and your car is blatantly not secure. If you are on your own, call the hotel in advance and demand they reserve a spot in the actual hotel car park.

I then tried to check in and whilst reception staff were pleasant enough they are certainly not capable of deviating off script. My room was not ready which was an inconvenience and seemed to be the case for the majority of people checking in. (Why tell us to check in early if this is not possible) I had to keep checking all morning with reception as they had no idea when it would be ready and then I had to accept another room?!?!?. In the end my room was not available at all and they placed me in another room at 2pm that afternoon. My original room was supposed to be on the 3rd floor in the executive area, i can only assume that due to over booking (or reception mistake) they had to change my room to one on the first floor. When this was explained I did not really care as I told them I just wanted a clean room that I could have a quiet nights sleep in later. Well a quiets night sleep is the last thing you get in this hotel. But I will come onto that as we have the meal to endure first, dry meat, deep fried broccoli (yes deep fried) and potatoes that tasted of soap. I cannot tell you how awful the meal was. It was like a bad school dinner from the 1970's.

Anyway, I retired for the evening only to find out that every room on the inside of the hotel is subject to whatever entertainment is on downstairs. Hours of music blaring was the limit to my tolerance. I did phone reception and ask for another room further away but they were fully booked. The staff are simply not capable of coping with the needs of customers and can only say yes, no or I will ask the duty manager. I gave up, stuck my head under a pillow and screamed.

After a terrible night I awoke and dreaded the thought of breakfast. After the evening meal I had very low expectations. Thankfully the breakfast is one of the few things the Crowne Plaza has managed not to mess up by mediocre service. It was lovely, I only wish checking out was as pleasurable. After getting the wrong room and demanding I pay my bill in quite an aggressive manner, they realised they had the wrong room on the screen and that everything had already been paid for. A terse apology and I was sent packing into the overspill car park to dodge drunken tramps fighting. I could not get out of there quick enough.

All in all if only one of these things had happened I might have but it down to a bad day but the whole experience was lacking in thought and customer service. It was a series of bad experiences followed by yet more bad experiences. I would not recommend anyone stay here unless every other hotel in town is full.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first floor in the rooms at the back (125 espeically) as you will not sleep.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank Ceri1
gm_cpchester, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2011

In response to your review I would like to explain that the over spill car park that we use is managed by the local authority, I will be discussing your concerns with them, with regard to vagrants in this area. I can confirm that parking attendants do check these facilities. I share your concern regarding this and would like to assure you that we will pursue this matter with them.

With regards to your check in experience I would like to apologise for the delay in your room coming available and the need to change your room to facilitate your check in. Our published check in time is 2pm and we endeavour to honour early check in requests when ever possible, unfortunately due to the business levels at the time and the volume of people with your party(100) arriving for a 9am start this was not possible.

I note your personal comment regarding the meal, which received positive comments form the event on the day from many delegates after an enjoyable day at the Chester Races.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed breakfast after a disappointing nights sleep after retiring from your function in the hotel

Once again I am disappointed that your stay was not as you expected, and i appologise for the shortcommings that you recived. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly regarding your review.

Kind Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,752)

Reviewed September 26, 2011

Stayed two nights on business trip. Not easy to find hotel entrance as under a bridge, but once found is quite close to city centre.
I couldn't get the room to warm up, but was ok once in bed. Obliging chambermaid fetched me a feather pillow as pillows in room too big to use two, too small to use one!
So second night was comfortable. Liked the aromatherapy treat in room and complementary water.
Has pool and gym.
Good breakfast and the chefs will cook you specials on request very happily.
Would go back if in Chester again

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed September 20, 2011

very good city centre hotel, great staff, make sure you get car park ticket validated at check out time to get discount £7.50 for 24hrs

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Only stayed here for one night, the staff was very friendly, and service very fast... I cant comment on must of the stuff... But we booked a club room which entitles you to free drinks, we arrived late and missed the free drinks, if the women on the phone had of told us the times we would of arrived earlyer... The room was lovely and clean, bed was so comfy and room services very fast... Some of the prices was expensive, but you expect this from a good quality hotel i would recommend this hotel, but as i only stayed one night i didnt have time to explore

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank georgina04
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Having heard very good reports about the Crown Plaza Hotels I elected on behalf of my three travelling companions to book two rooms at the the Crown Plaza Chester on a DBB tariff over two nights.
My first disappointment was having to pay for the car parking. Cheaper Hotels were available with free car parking.
Reception staff were very good and first impressions of the Decor was encouraging.
Room sizes were equal to some of the Premier Inn hotels and the bed was equally large and comfortable.
Disappointment number two occurred in the Bar area where afternoon drinks were served without any nibbles and the Gin was served with the Tonic added. We specifically asked for the tonic to be served separately. The air conditioning was set at a very cool level in spite of the Autumnal weather conditions prevailing during the 6/7Th of September2011.
The only other two people in the bar sat with their jackets on.
Disappointment number three, we were informed by the Restaurant staff that our Dinner allowance would be capped at £23. PER HEAD.
Although the presentation of the food was first class, the overall value for money was no where near that of other Busier Hotels. When we were in the Restaurant there were only twelve other customers. We met two people who had decided to eat out stating that the Menu in the Hotel was on the expensive side. Once again, the restaurant Air Conditioning was set Far too cold and we asked to be moved for the following night away from the ducting.
To Our amazement,during an afternoon drink in the Bar,
A Senior member of the Staff seemed to be conducting a Job Interview with a young lady whilst Televisions and background Music Played.
All in all, The ambience of this Hotel does not match the Bill.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank johnnyalan
Reviewed September 9, 2011

We stayed at the Chester Crown Plaza for two nights. It is a nice, clean hotel in a great location. The most impressive thing about the hotel is the friendly staff. They went out of their way to help us arrange a side trip to Liverpool that would fit into our tight schedule.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 8, 2011

Superb hotel, with great swimming pool/spa facilities. The breakfast is really recommended, biuffet style and great quality and service.
The bar doe snot deal with money after a certain time, so I would sugget placing a amount onto your room card which you can use throughout the night. The invoice can be seen on your television screen in your room. The rooms are very clean and great night sleep. The parking is payable even if you are staying at the hotel and to be honest we had a nigthmare finding a parking place and the places are very small.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
gm_cpchester, Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2011

Dear Neiljoann

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was pleased to read that you are looking forward to visiting us again here in Chester. Please be assured that your comments are shared with the team as they really enjoy receiving positive feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Chester in the near future.

Kind Regards