“Don't plan a party here”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Lock Keeper

The Lock Keeper
Ranked #26 of 47 Nightlife in Chester
Cheltenham
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Don't plan a party here”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

Tables not set up for party,over-priced steaks that looked like cheap pieces,nothing done for the birthday girl at all.

Visited April 2014

Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Okay pub”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

Had a cocktail, waitress did not explain buy one get one free offer, when I went back to the bar and asked, I did get the free one. Don't know if this is a dodgy area, but there were some odd characters around for a Monday afternoon filling bottles up with water in the loos, drinking wine out of a bottle etc. Not the pubs fault, but not great.

Visited March 2014
Cheshire, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Disappointing to say the least”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

Based on the reviews it had received on trip adviser I booked for 16 of our family to have a meal to celebrate my son's 18th Birthday on the 16th of March 2014.
I telephoned and arranged all this two weeks in advance with the manager who assured me that they could cater for us with no problem.
The meal was booked for 5pm and we travelled over an hours drive to get there, I had asked if we could be seated together by a window overlooking the canal and was told it would be arranged I even called the day before to make sure everything was ok and was reassured once again by Ryan the manager that every thing was in hand.
When we arrived that evening the place was quite empty and as soon as it became apparent who we were, there was a lot of scurrying around and placing tables of different sizes, a mismatch of everything together by a window and emergency exit doors where it was freezing cold and had pillars which separated all the tables and most of us were hidden behind the pillars, there was no atmosphere whatsoever, that was the first thing that put a dampener on our evening.
There was a couple with a child sat in the corner nearby who had just eaten Sunday Lunch and had complained to the management because it was not very nice, we were now starting to get a bit worried as they seemed totally unprepared and then came the problems when we tried to place our orders from the menu that we had been assured would have everything available.
We were very limited to starters, very limited to main courses and in the end after much ado it became a reality that there was very little choice available.
All of our party were starting to get a bit agitated by this stage we were all starving after waiting all day to go out for this meal and I felt like a prat for booking it an hours drive away and not to mention the cost of travel and inconvenience to all involved in getting there.
The young man who was trying to sort us out was obviously very apologetic and embarrassed by it all and kept disappearing and relating the situation to Ryan the manager who was on duty and working the bar but did not have the decency to come and sort things out but instead just left his staff to face the unhappy customers.
I eventually had had enough and went looking for the manager who then brought the chef out of the kitchen to explain that there was a rush on that day and they hadn't ordered in enough food and openly admitted that it was a total disaster.
I asked if they could try and resolve this mess by getting us in somewhere local but they were unable to find anywhere to accommodate us.
By now we had already been there over an hour and things were looking very bleak and they were due to stop serving food at 8pm.
The young employee tried his best to help and in the end went round 16 local establishments looking for steak so we all could have steak and chips.
We were moved to a warmer part of the restaurant in a more appropriate seating area and eventually were served a meal pulled together with the help of local establishments which we got to eat around 9pm that night.
We were given complimentary cocktail's and wine by way of apology but by then what should have been a lovely family celebration was completely ruined.
I have to say in all fairness that the young man who tried to sort this out and also the young man who I might add was left to serve a table of 16 on his own could not have been nicer.
I think they definitely need to get some proper management in there as the young lad Ryan is incapable of coping.
I appreciate that other reviewers have had a better experience on their visit to this pub restaurant and can only speak truthfully of my own experience on that particular day.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank CelticSoul58
Chester, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Great staff, yummy food! ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

Came here on a Wednesday night with the groupon deal. I was greeted at the door by a young waitress, really friendly and helpful. Great food, good portion sizes!! Cocktails were lovely! (Not sure why people are winging). Definitely coming back!

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Sunday Roast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Unscheduled visit today, seeking hot food on a cold day. Best pub sunday lunch for a long time. Great food and service. Enough said.