“Excellent scones”

Dining options: Lunch, Seating
Chester, United Kingdom
“Excellent scones”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Visited this place for the first time today. What a hidden gem! Found the staff (which I believe are the owners) lovely, very courteous and helpful. The place was spotless and the food arrived in excellent time and was delicious as was the scone - the best I have eaten in a long time. I will definately be visiting again soon and will be recommending to my friends. After reading the previous review I find it unbelievable that we are reviewing the same place and feel quite saddened that such things can be said about such a lovely couple.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Abbie S

Highlands
“Abusive and confrontational owner!”
Reviewed April 12, 2014

I visited this cafe yesterday with my teenage children, to grab a quick coffee after some business in town, before an onward journey. As I am Scottish the owner thought it ok to make a comment about me "coming down to spend my money whilst I could - saying that he didn't mind it and would accept it" - I just laughed it off and grabbed my coffee and the children's drinks and went to sit in the sun. ( I only then realised he had been talking about Scottish money - ironic really as I paid with B of E notes and I have lived/worked in Chester for the past 20 years?!)
He then followed us outside and started to question me on the independence vote - I tried to put him off, I don't discuss politics as a rule, personal opinions are best left for the ballot box IMO. He went on to become very confrontational - telling me that 'you' cannot dictate to us English what we should do - 'you' cannot have the pound - 'you' will not be allowed into the euro, in fact face it 'you' are all just really members if a third world country and should stay there. I was horrified! I think I was actually racially abused? I love Chester, my son was born there and I have never encountered such a bigoted racially prejudiced outburst in all my time there. Do NOT visit this cafe, I actually cried upon leaving there, how dare this man treat his customers like this. I will be reporting it to the police, the council and all other relevant organisations. Please please be very careful if you are anything other than what he seems acceptable - the best of it is, I actually don't think he is a cestrian - sounded a bit more Birkenhead! What a shame in a visitor centre and cultural hub we still have people like this in our service facing roles.

Visited April 2014
4 Thank gilliegirl
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
“Wonderful time”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

My friend and I visited this café whilst visiting Chester on a coach trip. The place was spotlessly clean, they were playing christmas music and the staff couldn't do enough for us. My friend (who is a wheelchair user) was given personal assistance. Moving chairs etc. They answered our questions about where to go and when we asked a question they did not know the answer to they looked it up on the internet for us! They helped make our day trip a mmemorable one. I recommend the scones they are delicious.

• Visited December 2013

1 Thank Daphne1972
Cardiff, Wales
“Ungrateful service”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Visited today and was surprised by the unfriendly, ungrateful and quite frankly rude staff.

The cafe is based in the car park, and whilst I appreciate their purpose is not to provide change, when buying a can of coke I was presented with 'you'll have to have a note, I'm not giving out coins'. I had not made any reference to needing coins at this point - I was simply buying a can of coke. The member of staff then proceeded to tell a colleague 'I've lost count of how many times I've had to say that today'.

Rather than being rude and annoyed at customers who need to get change for the car park, i'd advise that they appreciate and value this source of income. I question how many people would use the cafe if it wasn't for this fact. The negative attitude of the staff would stop me from ever using them again and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

They have an opportunity to capitalise on passing trade but are instead wasting their chance by seeing everyone as an annoying inconvenience.

Visited December 2013
Sparky S, Owner at The Little Roodee Cafe, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
We are sorry if you feel that your custom was not gratefully received. This is most certainly not the case. Unfortunately we are asked at least 30/40 times a day for change for the car park and as a result are unable to give all coins in the change. As a private business we have to pay bank charges for change.