“Wonderful location but check your bill!”

1539 Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #49 of 570 Restaurants in Chester
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Restaurant 1539 offers the most unique backdrop in which to enjoy a drink, a delicious meal or mingle in the Roof Lounge. Our menu offers twists on classic British favourites alongside dishes inspired by flavours from across the globe. The menu features some classic grills and fresh seafood.
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Food was really good- excellent rack of lamb and my guests all enjoyed their food too.
The restaurant wasn't full but we were placed next to a large and extremely noisy party of about 16 young people and at times we could not hear our conversations.
We asked for tap water and I was charged £4 for that. My guest had pre ordered and paid for a bottle of Prosecco but it was also added to my bill again. Management were extremely apologetic and I was given a refund.
I would return for the great location and for the excellent food

1  Thank Sylv1950

Reviewed July 6, 2014

This place is absolutely fantastic !
The food is so very delicious with a fantastic, interesting menu!
The service is excellent!
All the staff are very polite and friendly.
The decor is classy!
In A stunning setting overlooking the racecourse.
Beautiful roof terrace where you can sit and enjoy some very interesting cocktails. Do try ' Lady Marmalade' Ooooh!
Would highly recommend here, especially if you are celebrating an occasion.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

I had been to 1539 once before over a year ago and and can remember enjoying the food and the experience.
1539 is a modern looking and well furnished restaurant with an excellent location overlooking the Roodee racecourse. It is not quite the type of restaurant where you expect a burger to be on the menu given the resplendent impression in location and entry.
However, I like a burger and consider it a test (like making an omelette) on the chef's ability - a simple meal that can be great or disappointing. The burger was dense, dry and clearly overcooked though seasoned well. The burger was served in a brioche bun - why ? It is clearly burger fashion to dress your burger in brioche. The bun itself had a stale texture and felt odd. Very disappointing. The chips were ok.
However, other members in our party enjoyed the lamb and the tomato linguine; the latter being more starter size than main. We had the titbits as a starter which were ok.
The restaurant has priced itself above the average and by the time you add vegetables and sides a main meal can be considered expensive. It also sadly lets itself down by, for example, not preparing (and using) cherry tomatoes in the titbits and using wholesale mayonnaise from a big tub. A restaurant with such aspirations and prices should be paying closer attention to detail.
Our party of 8 were given a long table where it was difficult for us all to join in a conversation - a large round table would have been preferable; having said this I didn't see such a table in the restaurant anyway.
My other gripe the burger was served on a wooden plate - I just don't like this way of serving food along with slate.
The staff were very good.
Unfortunately, I did not have the same experience as when I first visited and based on my most recent visit I would not rush back to 1539. As a whole I would say my experience was above average; if my burger was better it would have very good.

Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

I came here several times now, due to the fact that it is the closest restaurant to the Holiday Inn Express.

Every time I come here I ask for the chef to prepare a vegan meal because they don't have anything vegan set up on the menu.

The chef tends to asks me what I want each time, to which I reply: "just get creative", and boy does he...

The last visit was the best out of all of my four visits, but it was also one of the best meals I've ever had.

John (the chef) prepared me a three course meal that I'll never forget. For me, most chefs are used to preparing the same things all the time and sometimes it is hard to judge their true talent, but John really outdone himself.

I enjoyed every bit of it with the starter and dessert costing £4.95 each, and the main £9.95. I've uploaded some pics so you can see what I'm talking about.

Service (carried out by Monica) was exceptional. Very friendly, attentive and always with a smile. Also the assistant manager and barman were very hospitable.

Atmosphere is very nice, and the place is very clean.

Overall, I can't wait to come here again at the end of the month.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Good selection of good food attentive staff reasonably priced well set out restaurant with a great view over race course.