“our wonderful weekend in chester and north wales FROM THE STAFFORD HOTEL”
Review of Stafford Hotel

Stafford Hotel
Ranked #45 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed January 16, 2012

i have travelled all over europe in all kinds of accomodation so i am a reasonable judge .we cold called on this hotel and was greeted very well by the excellent staff, we wanted a cheap weekend break so we went for a 2 star option but we got far more than what we bargained for,we used the hotel as a base for the sights of chester and north wales .our experience was absolutley fantastic . the hotel was very clean ,very tidy and the staf were very very helpful to accomadate any of our requests or queries we had a lovely double room for £30 which did exactly what we needed the next day we had a good full english breakfast ,the helpful staff even put us intouch with a fantastic local spa day for £6 each . i cant say enough good things about the whole experience. thankyou so much THE STAFFORD HOTEL

Room Tip: after going all over the hotel iam pretty sure this hotel has the same excellent standard in each ro...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 19, 2011

I have stayed many times at the Stafford and find it the best value in Chester. I was there this weekend and have to say there was no such noise after 1am which I thought was most acceptable. The manager and staff are always pleasant and helpful and go out of their way to be accommadating to myself and other guests. Some rooms are a little dated but find them clean and welcoming and breakfast is great. I'll keep staying there when in Chester.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed December 18, 2011

Comfortably the worst hotel we've stayed at ever. The reception staff were pleasant and helpful, but the owner, well, I don't believe an owner would be so unsympathetic or unproffesional when she promised me at 2 am that the singing, shouting and door slamming would stop. At 4.40am I got dressed, went downstairs to complain and was told that the person causing trouble had done it before and they had just got rid of him. Why let him in then. I asked for a refund and she said ok if we left there and then. We managed 2 hours sleep and needless to say the manager was "at home" by that time. For the sake of 1 night I can put up with insufficient tea, milk, coffee and toilet roll but not cleanliness and certainly not a manager who puts the wishes of a few private friends in the hotel bar above those of paying guests. I am self employed and I value each and every one of my clients as without them I have no business. Needless to say, on future visits to Chester we will go nowhere near the Stafford. At the time of booking it was the only hotel that had rooms available, No wonder.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere, anywhere. Park bench would be quieter and more comfortable.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dave D
Reviewed December 9, 2011

Stayed here last night, really can not understand some people on here!!! i payed £40 for my self and partner which included breakfast !!excellent value!! , the room was well fitted, especially the en suite, clean and tidy, bed was comfy. Staff were smiley, extremely helpful (especially when somebody forgets shampoo) and friendly, I stay in hotels regularly due to work and normally stay with macdonald hotels, i stayed here due to cancellation and will definitely be returning when i'm due in chester again.

Just had to review this place after seeing all the negativity, think people need to take in-to consideration the room rate before slating it. if you want to be waited on hand and foot go to the Grovsner and pay £220 a night! YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 7, 2011

Had a great time in this basic but very friendly hotel. The room was comfortable and the breakfast great, as was the service in the bar. I paid £50.00 for a Saturday night and would certainly stay here again. Great location and good value for money.

Room Tip: Go for the four poster
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 27, 2011

This is a late review as we have been home a month after about 50 nights in paid accomodation in the UK. We stayed there in mid September, 2011. This hotel, conveniently located 200m from the railway station, IS a bit old, BUT it was clean and spacious. The bed was comfortable. Breakfast was more than adequate. The staff were very helpful and friendly. If you needed anything, you just had to ask. For me, thats fine! We let them know we were travelling by bicycle, and needed somewhere to lock them up for 3 days. They were ready for us, and had set aside secure space. For other places this was a big problem, but not here. Chester is a great place, and staying here won't hurt you. (There is no pool, I just can't unclick the feature )

Room Tip: Book ahead.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 20, 2011

I booked three rooms at the Stafford Hotel, two doubles and a twin, from me and my boyfriend's band. This hotel seemed like the perfect option as it was on the same street as the venue the boys were playing at and was priced at £50 a night.
When we arrived we had to wait at reception while the girl behind the desk finished her personal phone call with someone called "Babe", we were then told that only two rooms were booked and that the twin would have to be changed. As the boys staying in the twin sorted themselves out we were given our room keys and paid for two doubles, by card.
We spent less than 10 minutes in those rooms. In room 24, which my boyfriend and myself were given, the bed was rock solid, there were hairs stuck to the mirror, the desk was cracked and dangerously sharp, there was a stain on the wall that I'd rather not know what it was, the bathroom floor had been swept - into the corner, the toiletries holder was rusty and dirty, the bathroom mirror had toothpaste stains from the last customer, the carpet was stained, the dust was unbelievable, even the kettle was filthy and the ceiling was cracked.
In room 35, which was given to another band mate and his girlfriend, the wall paper was peeling from the walls, the carpet was also stained, the seat that they had been given had a horrible stain on it (possibly blood), there was a stain in the bath tub, on the curtains in the bathroom (which were outdated) were splatters of plaster, and on the windowsill a bag containing spare taps, above the radiator was a piece of wallpaper that didn't match the rest of the room. All of the above was enough for us to decide to complain, when leaving room 35 we realised that because of the badly cracked door frame the door did not actually need a key to enter the room, and could be opened when lent on.
When we approached the girl behind the desk she refused us a refund, refused to allows us to see the manager, and then took our keys from us saying that "If you leave with those keys I will ring the police and send them to your house" and pretty much kicked us out.

We ended up in another hotel, costing us a further £78 per room.

TERRIBLE SERVICE, UNCLEAN, FALLING DOWN.
DO NOT BOOK WITH THIS HOTEL.
ABSOLUTE DISGRACE.

Room Tip: Please DO NOT book this hotel. Worst hotel in the UK!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Abbeyyy
Lesley H, Manager at Stafford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2011

I have been awaiting this reveiw as your comments you made on leaving for warned me that it would be the course of action you would take is a refund was not obtained. On the said evening I was not on duty but was in my apartment and could not come to see you due to illness. However I was informed of the whole episode immediately. The booking was for two doubles and a twin but because of a plumbing issue in the twin we had to offer two single rooms in place. The rooms were discounted from out usual Saturday rate of £70 inc to £50 inc. The phone call that the receptionist was taking at the time was from a member of staff checking hours for the following day. There were approx ten or twelve of the group in the hotel , when the receptionist was checking them in she asked if they wanted 3 separate rooms or would they prefer to stay together in the hen suit which sleeps 8 , to which one of the females in the group replied no we want two doubles . The 2 doubles were checked in and paid for on cards and the rest of the group which consisted on all men beliberated on all of them staying in the hen suite at a cost of £25 each instead of just 2 of them staying in the twin . The men went out side to think about it and never returned even to pay for the twin room oringinally booked leaving this room empty awaiting their return. All seemed fine with the room one of the men from the doubles had been out leaving the others in their rooms for atleast 1 hour , on his return to the hotel he stated to the receptionist that there had been a problem at home and they were going to have to leave, because both rooms had been used for an hour or so and there was no way we could service them and re sell them I was unable to offer them a refund. Shortly afterwards all the party of four came down to reception and began to complain about issues with the rooms, stating that they did not think they were worth £50 per night even though as stated before this was £20 less than other guests were paying. They requested that I come to see them but as stated before I was off duty due to ill health, however my staff member did come down to confirm that a refund could not be authorised. They then asked could they keep the keys as they have paid for the room and in response were told that would be fine as long as they were returned the following day or there details may be passed to the police, to which the gentleman replied "See you on f....ing WATCHDOG" O n the following Monday I received a call from Late rooms requesting a refund for the customers, I relayed the above information and pointed out that the customer in actual fact still owes for the room that was never paid for but left empty as we werent informed it was not required. I can assure you that all doors in the Hotel are perfectly secure and cannot be opened without a key, There is a patch of mismatched wallpaper in the room although all painted with the same colour emulsion, I have addressed the issue with the dust found in the light fitting although I must state that the photograph must have been taken from standing on top of a chair. I can assure you if we had been able to service and resell the rooms incurring no loss of revenue then we would have done so but as it was evening time this was not an option. In my opinion the reveiw given has been a case of "sour grapes"