“To Iron Out Any Confusion”
Review of Jaunty Goat Coffee

Jaunty Goat Coffee
Ranked #1 of 36 Coffee & Tea in Chester
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I write this review as a response to the few negative assessments that seem to have accumulated over the past few months. I have been a customer and friend of The Jaunty Goat Coffee shop for a long time now and I thoroughly believe that this is the only place in Chester that offers an expertly crafted coffee, every time. I have worked as a barista myself and more importantly have tasted some of the finest coffee offerings that are available in this country (the majority of which come from stunning independents in the capital). Let me say that preparing a perfect cup of coffee every time is a near impossible task. There are a plethora of subtleties and nuances that are often overlooked when preparing a little cup of joy: temperature, espresso extraction and milk texture tend to be the most important factors to get right. I have read on this forum a review that commented on the coffee being ‘luke warm’ and ‘bitter.’ Might I just say, bluntly, that whoever wrote this must have been either joking or completely devoid of any knowledge of the product that they were consuming. Unfortunately the many coffee drinkers in this country are used to drinking what is technically a completely burnt product that has been prepared with one forethought - capital gain. A skilled barista can temper and texture milk so that its mouth-feel resembles more of a glossy cream and its natural sweetness is pronounced. The reason why a proper coffee is served at immediate drinking temperature is because at between 60 and 65 degrees centigrade the natural sugar (lactose) in milk becomes more soluble and its perceived sweetness is heightened greatly. As for the bitter aspect of the current blend in the Jaunty Goat shop – Bitterness, to some degree, is an inevitable consequence of brewing coffee, in fact, it is a necessary aspect many would argue, as a truly great coffee needs to be balanced and bitterness can offer balance to sweetness. I would completely agree that astringency is undesirable, however I do not believe that this particular customer would have the pallet to distinguish the two. The staff in the shop are wonderfully knowledgeable and absolutely know what they are doing, and why! I think that the coffee in this shop is absolutely the best offering in Chester, and one of the best in the north of the UK. I feel that the reviews that I have read that negatively comment on the quality of the product are doing total injustice to what, in reality, is an impossibly difficult job, very competently completed.

2  Thank Max B

Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

Spotted this on a day out with my boyfriend and SO glad we decided to pop in. I'm a barista myself so tend to be a bit of a snob with coffee when I want to be.
Went for the espresso macchiato..... Verdict? Honestly the best coffee I have ever tasted. Smooth as velvet and not even a hint of bitterness. Amazing! These guys are obviously very well trained and have the best ingredients to start with.
Really cool place too, nice and clean and would fit in in any city centre. A lot of the other coffee places in Chester are a bit twee and while they are lovely this really stands out in terms of decor and style. Staff were pleasant.
If you walk past don't hesitate about nipping in, you seriously will not regret it! Now pleeeeease open one in Manchester so I can get my fix every day! :)

1  Thank 06Thom
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

Great coffee, amazing carrot cake. Love the choice of coffees on offer. My friend had an scoop of ice cream with an espresso shot over it! Genius!!

1  Thank Jennifer S
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I visited with my owners on a perfect Sunday morning, who had recommended the wonderful coffee. As I am not a coffee-lover, my needs were still attended to, and I had what can only be described as the most delicious bowl of water I had ever had. It was served in a lovely china bowl - perfect. The staff were very kind to bring it out, and very friendly to me. Great place for belly rubs and chill outs.

1  Thank Mishka M
Reviewed March 28, 2014

When im in Chester i always pay a visit hear, as i personally think its the best coffee out there.I usually have a latte and It is really smooth,i actually think it tastes like a flat white as its that good..The only criticism is that i think you should do larger cups of coffee because im always wanting more!.....Friendly staff as well, Instead of people going to their usual coffee chains they should try your coffee instead and im sure they wouldn't be disappoint!
Keep up the good work guys.

1  Thank waynester05