“Over rated”

Ranked #12 of 44 Hotels in Chester
north west england
“Over rated”
Reviewed February 21, 2011

I booked this hotel for a recent trip for myself and my 11 year old daughter for her birthday weekend. We wanted some relaxation time and also be close to town for sight seeing. The hotel is very close to the station and also near to town centre. However the walk from the station is not a pleasant one and is a bit run down.

The biggest disappointment was the size of our room. We had a double room with the smallest double bed in the world. The decor in the room was very tired looking and the carpet was stained in places. In the bathroom there were plastic cups - needless to say we didn't use these. Considering how much we had paid to say here it was extremely poor. We also had to walk through a very noisy bar to access our rooms not ideal on your way back from the pool casual with wet hair.

The best bit of the hotel is the spa facilities. We didn't really get the full benefit as you have to be over 16 to use most of them - the pool was fantastic and really relaxing after a full day out.

Breakfast was average and self service. Again considering how much we had paid I would have expected to be served. Reception staff were only Ok. There was one really helpful lady who gave us a map and details of how to walk into town. I was disappointed when checking out to find the left luggage area was totally inappropriate. I was told I could store it in there myself and it was totally unsecured. When I looked inside it was already packed full with other suitcases and a folded wheelchair and no room for ours. We got an earlier train home and left disappointed just after check in.

If you were thinking of staying here I would suggest that you go mid week rather than weekend when there is more choice about eating. At the weekend the restaurant is open for dinner dance evenings. Instead we walked into Chester to eat.

Despite the great spa facilities we won't return to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
rhyl
Reviewed February 15, 2011

me and my partner stayed on valentines day and night and was very very happy with everything the mill house had to offer, we stayed in the premier room....outstanding.... very polite ,very clean, couldnt do enough for us, after reading some reviews and looking at photos i was a bit worried , but i was so pleased when we arrived their and was made extremley welcome,i would reccomend this hotel to everyone i know and we are going back in march to celebrate our anniversary.A big thankyou to all the staff for making our stay wonderful...

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Sheffield
Reviewed February 12, 2011

I've probably stayed at the Mill two dozen times and I've also booked rooms for colleagues, I usually have a standard room which is £73 (inc breakfast) and find them to be adequate. The bar is very friendly and more like a local than a soulless hotel bar. The location is very good, right on the edge of the city centre and parking is free. I've tried other hotels in Chester but always come back to The Mill.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights in late January with a couple of friends and chose it from a selection of hotels in Chester based on Tripadvisor reviews, walking distance from the centre and the free carparking.

It is a 3star hotel and we were all pleasantly surprised by our very enjoyable stay. We paid a little extra for a business room (having saved on the free carparking) and the room was a good size – my only disappointment being it contained a double bed rather than a king size – there was plenty of room for a king size. The room contained all the usual expectations with the addition of an iron. The pillows were not very comfy, but they are always a lottery and very much to personal taste. The bathroom towels were large and fluffy and there was always plenty of hot water. The room was very warm but we were able to open the window as we overlooked the canal and it was not noisy.

The hotel has a fitness centre with health and beauty spa which appears to be a popular local facility to belong to, with free use for hotel guests. It is very well equipped, the changing facilities are excellent and also very clean. The swimming pool water temperature was very warm.

We had only planned to eat at the restaurant for the first night, but the food was so good and excellent value at 2 courses for £14.00, we ate there for both nights. We were glad we had because on the 2nd night – a Monday – we had the extra treat of the Wall City Jazz Band in the bar – including a guest appearance by a 92 year old drummer, Doug, and the hotel owner, Gordon Vickers on his washboard.

Last, but by no means least, the staff are all very friendly and appear to be very happy working at the hotel. Some of them have worked there for a number of years and to me this indicates it’s a good environment to work in. Happy staff usually means the guests will be well attended to.

A very enjoyable two night stay, overall the hotel could do with a little attention in certain areas but it didn’t detract from the comfort and enjoyable atmosphere.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank christineb
jengra
Reviewed January 25, 2011

We went to this hotel overnight,myself my 2 daughters and 2 grandaughters,as it was one of my daughters 40th birthday,and one of my grandaughters 16th birthday,the grandaughters had a double club room which was great and we had a quad club room,which should quite easily sleep 4,it consisted of a king size bed a single bed and the third bed was a mattress on the floor which was disapointing,as the room was cramped.Other than that we used the facilties swimming pool,sauna,steam room,jacuzzi,they were fantastic and we went for a meal in the restaurant it was a set meal @ £22 each but we could not fault it the food was delicous all for courses bon appetete !!!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank jengra
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2011

we arrived 3 hours prior to the reccommended check in time, we was able to check in straight away which was a great start to our day. The swimming pool,jacuzzi, steam room and sauna were very much enjoyrd my me and my partner and helped us to relax and unwind. The hotel is located perfectly close to the town centre and over looking the canal..Our room was cosy and comfortable and contained everythin we required although our room was quite small.The restuarant prices were quite expensive though, although the breakfast was included in the room price and was delicious.I would definitely reccommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2011

My Partner and I took my 75 year old mother to this hotel and the two days we stayed were an absolute nightmare, they obviously have a scam whereby they will at every opportunity take money from your credit card and will accuse you of smoking on the premises, they acused my 75 year old mother who is in ill health of smoking on the premises because the cleaners root through the bins to seek/ find or create evidence.

The general Manager Marietta Wiliams (The owners sister) decided to simply take £150 off my poor mothers credit cared without any further ado, when I took this matter up with the manager she agreed to be lenient due to my mothers age and ill health and stated that she would only charge her £60 instead! needless to say she still took £90 off the credit card...I wonder if they pay tax on this easily acquired income? I would never stay here again and it has in fact put me off going to Chester in general. I found the staff rude and patronising and many could not understand English.

• Stayed October 2010
MillHotel, Manager at The Mill Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2011
Response to Keith2811 from Maretta Williams, Hotel Manager.

Dear Keith,
I am responding to your review of your stay at The Mill Hotel.

The Mill Hotel is a NO SMOKING Hotel and has been for many years, long before the National Smoking Ban came into force. Our policy is clearly advertised on our website, Terms & conditions, Signage in the rooms & throughout the hotel & clearly on the registration forms signed on check in. The decision was taken as a business decision to avoid loss of revenue & to make the atmosphere pleasant for all our guests.
The hotel can be fined up to £2500 by the courts for allowing someone to smoke. I believe you do not nor did dispute the fact that Mrs Godfrey was smoking. The charge (which was reduced to £90) appears on your bill so is automatically declared in our sales so is therefore declared to the Tax Authorities.
Please see my reply sent to you directly.