“Really good hotel”

Ranked #12 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Manchester
“Really good hotel”
Reviewed November 5, 2009

Booked to stay for a two nighter just b+b.Room was excellent,very spacious if a tad noisy due to some poor window joinery and double glazing, as we were situated over the bridge and next to the main road in to Chester.
We ate off the menu for the first night on one of the hotel specials and found the food excellent,along with the service.Excellent situated hotel just two mins walk into the centre itself,parking could be a bit tricky as stated.
Leisure facilities were a the highest order and were gratefully used to clear a dull head on the second morning.I liked the breakfast buffet idea,plenty of food and a good choice,the one gripe from me would be to change the plates,they were discoloured somewhat due to age and the dishwasher no doubt,and from my good lady she prefers her plates to be warm when hot food is placed on them.
But a definite recommend,and i would use this hotel again without hesitation.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
Liverpool
Reviewed November 2, 2009

We just stayed at the hotel for a relaxing break in a City never explored before although only on our doorstep. I'll post the negative bits first as there are'nt many - the parking is a logistical nightmare at this hotel and we only just got one, the car park is hit & miss, potholed and poorly planned. There's renovation work going on but that wont last forever. The rooms very confusing - we booked a club room and friends who came with us booked a premier, the rooms were identical! rooms 243 & 343 (one on top of the other) so we're confused if we were short changed or they were upgraded? One poster below stated they had a spa corner bath, chilled champagne and strawberrys in a premier - they told me a 'club' was one step below the champagne suite. I'd like an explanation for this as the club aint cheap. The spa and health club is fantastic, the staff were polite and courtious - very helpfull too. The restaurant staff were very clean and helpfull along with a fantastic breakfast to feed a king. Never dined here but there were a few deals worth considering that look good value. The room was spotless and cleaned everyday. The internet didn't work but hey-ho? The walk to the centre can be scary when dark - just turn RIGHT out of the hotel and you'll be fine. Would stay here again - when I see what the 'club' room is like!

England
Reviewed November 1, 2009

This has to be one of the worst hotel expereiences we have had. We opted for a city break (thur - Sat nights) and the location for access to Chester was fine - albeit a fairly dark walk at night - and the breakfast buffet was acceptable (although warm plates would have been nice). But that was about all on the positive side. The parking was abysmal and not helped by the scaffolding surrounding the building to facilitate the windows being replaced; the need to walk through a crowded, noisy and smelly bar area to access the stairs to our room was a nightmare and the response of a receptionist when advised that I was unable to access the self-advertised broadband connection from my room ('There's nothing I can do about it') was not only unexpected, but totally unacceptable. We were more than happy to leave on the Sunday morning and were really happt we hadn't taken our cat with us - there wasn't room to swing it the bedroom! Don't stay here!!

1 Thank Treelo2006
Ashover
Reviewed October 29, 2009

Although the hotel was ok, the parking was awful and would prevent me from visiting again. The breakfast was fine and the staff lovely, though the walk into Chester, along a murkey, dark canal side was a little creepy at night! The kids loved the pool as did I, though it can be very crowded at busy times with not enough room for everyone. Lovely fluffy towels though! The gym was fantastic.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank ClaireH95
Leeds
Reviewed October 27, 2009

We recently visited the hotel and had a fantastic time.

During our stay we found all members of staff really helpful and polite. We stayed in a club room which was a little dated around the edges but clean and tidy. We had lunch in the main bar and an evening meal in the restaurant, both served lovely food at reasonable prices with fantastic service. The bar serves an excellent range of real ales but does get very busy at certain times.

The location was excellent only a very short walk into the centre and it was quite nice to walk along the canal.

On the negative side the room was a bit too warm and even with the window open we couldn't cool it down. Parking is also a little tight and we found it difficult to find a space.

We will definately return to this hotel in the future.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2009

Booked the 'Indulge' package plus an extra night as a treat for myself and partner as an antidote to Autumn and dark nights. It certainly delivered. We managed to park ok but I imagine that it could be a bit tight at peak times. Welcoming reception staff. We had a Premier room as part of our package and it was super. Large with huge TV, spa corner bath and the chilled champagne and strawberrys were waiting for us. We also had a balcony overlooking the canal so a lovely retreat and extremely quiet - we did not hear another person on our floor during our stay. We noticed that parts of the hotel are undergoing renovation but this was not a problem to us and nice to see ongoing improvements for the future. We used the leisure area and pool and they were super. Our package also indulged us in 3 spa treatments each and these were superior to those I have had at other health spas and we got a gift to bring home too! Food in the restaurant was excellent and plentiful. Staff attentive and we felt really looked after. Recommend this highly based on what we got for our package - it was superb value for money and we would return withough hesitation.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2009

We arrived at the Mill Hotel to see it covered in scaffolding. It wasn't the picturesque converted Mill that was sold to us, but this can't be helped if they're having some renovations. The car park, which is free, is very tight for spaces and was a struggle for a Ford Fiesta to park up. The reception staff were polite, and we checked in with no problems under the £180 deal from there website for two nights B&B plus a three course meal on one of the evenings.

The room was very basic. Small, but comfortable, double bed, and the bathroom was basic (including not toilet roll, but toilet paper squares as per a public toilet!). The space was small and no dressing table, plus you could hear people moving in the ajoining rooms.

The location is excellent, just a two minute walk into the centre which was ideal for both day and night as no need for buses or taxis.

The breakfast was very good. Plenty of choice for both a cooked breakfast OR a more healthy option of cereals, fruit and yoghurt.

The three course meal in the Canaletto Restaurant was also very good, and the service was excellent. As was the choice of real ale in the hotel's main bar, however as this man bar is a public one, it does get very, very busy.

The hotel also has a selection of Canal Tours, and we took the Roman High Tea tour on the Sunday (this happens every day at 4pm, but you need to book). This was a very enjoyable hour spent going up and down the Chester Canal.

The one big incident which turned us off the hotel was when we went to the health club in the hotel to use the swimming pool and sauna facilities. Despite the fact that there are no private cubicles, I put my belongings on a chair so I could use one of the showers. Once I had showered, as I was packing up my toiletries I noticed something "brown" in the corner of the chair. On further inspection, I realised this matter was human waste. I promptly complained to the desk staff in the health club and she advised me to fill in a form. I said it needed to be cleaned, and was possibly on my belongings. The staff replaced my shampoo with substandard toiletries, but they did offer to reimburse me after I spoke one of the managers. I was not satisfied with the resolution, or any follow up that the hotel provided, so I brought up the matter when checking out and I spoke to the General Manager who was very helpful, understanding and was very embarrassed about the situation. He did apologise and in return knocked £65 off the bill. He said that members would be warned about the incident and he was going to check CCTV.

This obviously marred our trip, but on the whole the Mill Hotel is good for its location, but I would seek out a smaller guest house in the future when visiting Chester.