“Parking a Nightmare!”
Review of The Mill Hotel

The Mill Hotel
Ranked #12 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed October 29, 2009

Although the hotel was ok, the parking was awful and would prevent me from visiting again. The breakfast was fine and the staff lovely, though the walk into Chester, along a murkey, dark canal side was a little creepy at night! The kids loved the pool as did I, though it can be very crowded at busy times with not enough room for everyone. Lovely fluffy towels though! The gym was fantastic.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank ClaireH95

Reviewed October 27, 2009

We recently visited the hotel and had a fantastic time.

During our stay we found all members of staff really helpful and polite. We stayed in a club room which was a little dated around the edges but clean and tidy. We had lunch in the main bar and an evening meal in the restaurant, both served lovely food at reasonable prices with fantastic service. The bar serves an excellent range of real ales but does get very busy at certain times.

The location was excellent only a very short walk into the centre and it was quite nice to walk along the canal.

On the negative side the room was a bit too warm and even with the window open we couldn't cool it down. Parking is also a little tight and we found it difficult to find a space.

We will definately return to this hotel in the future.

Reviewed October 27, 2009

Booked the 'Indulge' package plus an extra night as a treat for myself and partner as an antidote to Autumn and dark nights. It certainly delivered. We managed to park ok but I imagine that it could be a bit tight at peak times. Welcoming reception staff. We had a Premier room as part of our package and it was super. Large with huge TV, spa corner bath and the chilled champagne and strawberrys were waiting for us. We also had a balcony overlooking the canal so a lovely retreat and extremely quiet - we did not hear another person on our floor during our stay. We noticed that parts of the hotel are undergoing renovation but this was not a problem to us and nice to see ongoing improvements for the future. We used the leisure area and pool and they were super. Our package also indulged us in 3 spa treatments each and these were superior to those I have had at other health spas and we got a gift to bring home too! Food in the restaurant was excellent and plentiful. Staff attentive and we felt really looked after. Recommend this highly based on what we got for our package - it was superb value for money and we would return withough hesitation.

Reviewed October 26, 2009

We arrived at the Mill Hotel to see it covered in scaffolding. It wasn't the picturesque converted Mill that was sold to us, but this can't be helped if they're having some renovations. The car park, which is free, is very tight for spaces and was a struggle for a Ford Fiesta to park up. The reception staff were polite, and we checked in with no problems under the £180 deal from there website for two nights B&B plus a three course meal on one of the evenings.

The room was very basic. Small, but comfortable, double bed, and the bathroom was basic (including not toilet roll, but toilet paper squares as per a public toilet!). The space was small and no dressing table, plus you could hear people moving in the ajoining rooms.

The location is excellent, just a two minute walk into the centre which was ideal for both day and night as no need for buses or taxis.

The breakfast was very good. Plenty of choice for both a cooked breakfast OR a more healthy option of cereals, fruit and yoghurt.

The three course meal in the Canaletto Restaurant was also very good, and the service was excellent. As was the choice of real ale in the hotel's main bar, however as this man bar is a public one, it does get very, very busy.

The hotel also has a selection of Canal Tours, and we took the Roman High Tea tour on the Sunday (this happens every day at 4pm, but you need to book). This was a very enjoyable hour spent going up and down the Chester Canal.

The one big incident which turned us off the hotel was when we went to the health club in the hotel to use the swimming pool and sauna facilities. Despite the fact that there are no private cubicles, I put my belongings on a chair so I could use one of the showers. Once I had showered, as I was packing up my toiletries I noticed something "brown" in the corner of the chair. On further inspection, I realised this matter was human waste. I promptly complained to the desk staff in the health club and she advised me to fill in a form. I said it needed to be cleaned, and was possibly on my belongings. The staff replaced my shampoo with substandard toiletries, but they did offer to reimburse me after I spoke one of the managers. I was not satisfied with the resolution, or any follow up that the hotel provided, so I brought up the matter when checking out and I spoke to the General Manager who was very helpful, understanding and was very embarrassed about the situation. He did apologise and in return knocked £65 off the bill. He said that members would be warned about the incident and he was going to check CCTV.

This obviously marred our trip, but on the whole the Mill Hotel is good for its location, but I would seek out a smaller guest house in the future when visiting Chester.

Reviewed October 26, 2009

5 female friends spent a 3 night stay Thurs to Sun.a special deal of £249 for twin room bed and breakfast and evening meal on a night of our choice. entertainment at weekend
the hotel could not be faulted in any way staff friendly and very effecient rooms clean and comfortable the meals are first class good location for site seeing lovely swimming pool and hot tub was fab after a tiring day out. would highly recomend it

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 19, 2009

My wife and I stayed at The Mill Hotel with friends on a weekend shopping trip from N. Ireland. The hotel was easy to find using their directions and a little help from Google Maps. The car parking spaces are a little tight but there are plenty of them. There are about 4 car parks in total dotted around the hotel. Outwardly it is a very industrial looking building as you would expect from a converted mill but the inside is excellent. Very welcoming reception staff and the room ( Business room, 4th floor ) was spotless with toiletries, tea/coffee, flat screen tv, iron etc. The only meal we had in the hotel was breakfast. We didnt get down until 9.30 and there was still freshly cooked food being put out. Great selection of hot and cold food with attentive staff.
The only slightly negative comment would be to say that it was a little too warm in the room for me, but my wife loved it! Each to their own.
Chester was an excellent base for shopping and sightseeing. I recommend Chester city centre, the City Walls and Cathedral, Cheshire Oaks Outlets and the RAF Museum at Cosford.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 15, 2009

Stayed mid week for 2 nights. Standard room was small, with a tiny bathroom, but had everything you needed. Unfortuantely the room over looked the dual carriageway and was the noisiest room I have ever stayed in and had very little sleep over the 2 nights even with the window closed, it sounded like the traffic was great big large vehicles roaring up and down ( plus the usual boy racers!!!) Breakfast was fine and plenty of tables (previous review said queueing for breakfast??)Staff were fine. Short stroll to town centre, lots of leisure availble in hotel and good ales in bar.On the downside our room was over the bridge so there was a lot of going up and down different floors, going over bridge, down a floor again, to reach reception and restaurant.and then back again.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple