The Mill Hotel
$90
$89
$87
1,646 results
All reviewscanal boatreal ale bardinner cruisecanaletto restaurantbusiness roomoverlooking the canalclub roomcity centrepremier roomdinner dancecar parkbar priceshealth clubbreakfast was buffet stylespa facilitieslovely hotelbar area
Reviewed October 26, 2009

We arrived at the Mill Hotel to see it covered in scaffolding. It wasn't the picturesque converted Mill that was sold to us, but this can't be helped if they're having some renovations. The car park, which is free, is very tight for spaces and was a struggle for a Ford Fiesta to park up. The reception staff were polite, and we checked in with no problems under the £180 deal from there website for two nights B&B plus a three course meal on one of the evenings.

The room was very basic. Small, but comfortable, double bed, and the bathroom was basic (including not toilet roll, but toilet paper squares as per a public toilet!). The space was small and no dressing table, plus you could hear people moving in the ajoining rooms.

The location is excellent, just a two minute walk into the centre which was ideal for both day and night as no need for buses or taxis.

The breakfast was very good. Plenty of choice for both a cooked breakfast OR a more healthy option of cereals, fruit and yoghurt.

The three course meal in the Canaletto Restaurant was also very good, and the service was excellent. As was the choice of real ale in the hotel's main bar, however as this man bar is a public one, it does get very, very busy.

The hotel also has a selection of Canal Tours, and we took the Roman High Tea tour on the Sunday (this happens every day at 4pm, but you need to book). This was a very enjoyable hour spent going up and down the Chester Canal.

The one big incident which turned us off the hotel was when we went to the health club in the hotel to use the swimming pool and sauna facilities. Despite the fact that there are no private cubicles, I put my belongings on a chair so I could use one of the showers. Once I had showered, as I was packing up my toiletries I noticed something "brown" in the corner of the chair. On further inspection, I realised this matter was human waste. I promptly complained to the desk staff in the health club and she advised me to fill in a form. I said it needed to be cleaned, and was possibly on my belongings. The staff replaced my shampoo with substandard toiletries, but they did offer to reimburse me after I spoke one of the managers. I was not satisfied with the resolution, or any follow up that the hotel provided, so I brought up the matter when checking out and I spoke to the General Manager who was very helpful, understanding and was very embarrassed about the situation. He did apologise and in return knocked £65 off the bill. He said that members would be warned about the incident and he was going to check CCTV.

This obviously marred our trip, but on the whole the Mill Hotel is good for its location, but I would seek out a smaller guest house in the future when visiting Chester.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2009

5 female friends spent a 3 night stay Thurs to Sun.a special deal of £249 for twin room bed and breakfast and evening meal on a night of our choice. entertainment at weekend
the hotel could not be faulted in any way staff friendly and very effecient rooms clean and comfortable the meals are first class good location for site seeing lovely swimming pool and hot tub was fab after a tiring day out. would highly recomend it

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 19, 2009

My wife and I stayed at The Mill Hotel with friends on a weekend shopping trip from N. Ireland. The hotel was easy to find using their directions and a little help from Google Maps. The car parking spaces are a little tight but there are plenty of them. There are about 4 car parks in total dotted around the hotel. Outwardly it is a very industrial looking building as you would expect from a converted mill but the inside is excellent. Very welcoming reception staff and the room ( Business room, 4th floor ) was spotless with toiletries, tea/coffee, flat screen tv, iron etc. The only meal we had in the hotel was breakfast. We didnt get down until 9.30 and there was still freshly cooked food being put out. Great selection of hot and cold food with attentive staff.
The only slightly negative comment would be to say that it was a little too warm in the room for me, but my wife loved it! Each to their own.
Chester was an excellent base for shopping and sightseeing. I recommend Chester city centre, the City Walls and Cathedral, Cheshire Oaks Outlets and the RAF Museum at Cosford.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 15, 2009

Stayed mid week for 2 nights. Standard room was small, with a tiny bathroom, but had everything you needed. Unfortuantely the room over looked the dual carriageway and was the noisiest room I have ever stayed in and had very little sleep over the 2 nights even with the window closed, it sounded like the traffic was great big large vehicles roaring up and down ( plus the usual boy racers!!!) Breakfast was fine and plenty of tables (previous review said queueing for breakfast??)Staff were fine. Short stroll to town centre, lots of leisure availble in hotel and good ales in bar.On the downside our room was over the bridge so there was a lot of going up and down different floors, going over bridge, down a floor again, to reach reception and restaurant.and then back again.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We moved here from the queen hotel (see review). what a relief, a warm welcome at reception, great rooms, great free internet and the prices are very reasonable too.
they have endless guest ales for all you beer lovers.
this hotel has a swimming pool, fully equipped gym, sauna, soliarium and jaccuzzi.
brilliant for relaxing after a long day.
its a few mins walk from the town and right on the side of a canal which does boat cruises run by the hotel. the staff are always polite and wecoming all over the hotel and i would have no hesitation in reccomending it to visitors to chester.
will certainly be using this hotel in the future. and the parking is free too.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business