“Excellent hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

Stayed two nights in a business class room, very spacious and comfortable overlooking the canal. Had dinner on first night, tasty food, good portions and good service, also has a real ale bar with fair prices. Used spa area on both days, nice facilities, also had a beauty treatment and it was excellent and very relaxing, my therapist was lovely. Overall, enjoyed our stay, all the staff are lovely and helpful, this is our third time and we will keep going back. It's only a short walk to the main shopping street and to other pubs and restaurants.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
morwell
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

Joined the lunchtime cruise after seeing the boat glide past our rental apartment. Joined other groups in the hotel bar where our lunch and drink order was taken, then all aboard. We slowly drifted upstream while we ate our starter and sorbet, then back to the hotel where are mains were delivered on board. When we were all asked where we were from it turned out there was a large group who have worked together for 15 years, 2 couples celebrating anniversaries, another Englishcouple and ourselves from Australia. Everyone having a good time. We went through a Loch but not up to the second one as it was being worked on, it wasn't a problem. Most of us got out at the Loch to have a look how it all worked, some had a smoke. Then back to the hotel. A great couple of hours. The staff were fabulous, letting me get up close to the front windows to take photos. The food was excellent, 4 courses including tea or coffee, even Decaff. £36 for 2 people plus drinks, which there was a good selection. Not suitable for wheelchairs as there are steps down into the boat.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carol H
Roda
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

Wow what a gem! Lunch for £12 for three courses of totally delicious food, beautifully cooked and presented. The service was attentive and friendly without over stepping the mark. A starter of duck breast on noodles with cherry jus followed by chicken breast in a cream and tarragon sauce served with fresh vegetables. Followed by fresh fruit in a chardonnay jelly served with delicious gin and tonic ice cream. A bargain, my second visit and I will be back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Nottingham, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

Good location near the centre of Chester. Public areas and gym facilities are good and rooms clean. That's the good bit!
Decoration in the rooms tired. The furniture and decor is like an 80s bed & breakfast.
The room I was initially given was right over the main entrance so I had the opportunity to listen to everyone's goodbyes as they left the bar. Kept me entertained until midnight!!
The room was booked by my company so I was unable to check out and find another hotel. I requested another room the next day which was quieter but then the inner door handle fell off when I tried to leave the room! Quality! I always base my reviews on whether I'd stop again and I don't think I'd choose this hotel again especially if I was paying myself!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank JohnWB1
Roda, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

I have been using this restaurant for several years, taking advantage of the lunchtime menu available from Monday to Saturday. For just £12 you can enjoy one of five choices of starter, main course and dessert and both the food and service are excellent. Chester is very much a tourist centre and, without doubt, this restaurant is one of its best kept secrets. The hotel spans a picturesque canal and, for a little more, you can enjoy a four-course meal aboard their own riverboat, the 'L'eau T Cuisine', while it makes its way along one of our old waterways. When I went this week, I enjoyed duck breast on noodles in a chilli salsa with a cherry sauce, cod fillet in a creamy spinach sauce with lots of excellently cooked seasonal vegatables and, to finish off, the most beautiful berry & fruit terrine, with chardonnay jelly and served with gin & tonic ice cream - what a treat, and all for £12! The 'Canaletto' is not in the city centre, but a short and pleasant walk along the canal will take you to one of the best 'value-for-money' restaurants I have ever found.

Steve

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank julie_mcpro
Wolverhampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

I stayed for one night on business. The hotel could do with updating as the carpets in the rooms are stained and it is pretty dated. However it has a fantastic gym and spa, which for me is a real selling point.

Although there is wifi, it is not in guest rooms and there was supposed to be a wired connection, but I didn't find it. I had a room on the canal side and it wasn't noisy at all. The tv has sky sports and a decent selection of channels.

Breakfast was ok and the restaurant and bar looked good although I didn't use them myself.

Overall a great place to stay if you are into fitness, otherwise there are better hotels in Chester for the money. I would have rated it average without the gym and it wouldn't be more than three star without the spa.

Room Tip: Canal side is quieter
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Dave_Wolves
Newbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

We spent a week in chester as my gf family is around there.
We booked this hotel but decided to chose another hotel after 2 nights.
The hotel is well located, the staff is friendly enough and it looks "funky" from the outside.
The problems do start once you get inside unfortunately.
It is clearly past it's best day and in need if investment... The furniture and style very much reminded me of an old people home to be completely honest.
Might have looked good in the 80' but now it is clearly outdated.
The room was rather small and decor was poor, at the same price you'll find much better in the area. The road noise is a real issue (dual carriage way is maybe 5 meters away), with sleep after 7am not an option. The noise of the bins being picked up early morning add some charm?
If it was priced as a 3 stars i would agree but for an hotel priced as a 4 stars it was a huge disappointment. Being Centre town is just not enough.

Room Tip: Look for a proper 4 stars, plenty of those in the area.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple