“50th Birthday Weekend”
Review of The Mill Hotel

The Mill Hotel
Ranked #12 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed January 9, 2012

Having stayed there three time previously, we chose the Mill Hotel as the place for my wife's 50th birthday celebration along with 16 family members and friends 6th and 7th January. Everybody seemed very pleased with the standard of room and we spent the first afternoon relaxing in the pool and then the bar. We had a meal for 16 booked in the Canaletto Restaurant and everybody agreed that both the standard of food and the service in the restaurant was excellent. To be honest the food in this restaurant is always very good and is well worth the money. We ate out on Saturday night at Sergios which was good but we had to wait over an hour for a table despite making a reservation 5 days in advance.
We had lunch in the hotel bar Friday, Saturday and Sunday(watching the City vs Utd game) and we enjoyed the lively and friendly atmosphere in the hotel bar and the great choice of beers, wines, snacks,and the friendly service provided by the bar staff. I would also add that the drink prices for a hotel are very reasonable - I paid for all the drinks for the birthday dinner and the bill was OK.
There is no doubt that this is a very well run hotel, that maintains high standards which is why this was our 4th visit. One slight disappoint which surprised me - I thought that the Hotel could have acknowledged my wife's birthday by maybe leaving a small gift in the room for example some chocolates or maybe a bottle of wine.
Overall the Mill Hotel proved to be a great choice for a family celebration and we have left with many happy memories.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the canal, but away from the main road
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank sheppybob
Write a ReviewReviews (1,575)

Reviewed January 9, 2012

Stayed here for one night but wished it was for more! Lovely hotel with the perfect location. Room was the club class and was spacious and comfortable, didnt try the spa facilities except the pool was fine although a little cold! Had dinner out so cant comment on the dinners but breakfast was fine and served by friendly staff.

Room Tip: Rooms on the other side of the canal from reception will probably be quieter as bars etc are all loc...
Reviewed January 9, 2012

I went to the Mill Hotel and Spa yesterday for a spa day with my sister. The whole experience was excellent from start to finish. The staff were excellent, I was lucky enough to have Candace as my beautician and she honestly does the best back massage I have ever had! The light lunch (in the Peppermill Restaurant) was very good and more filling than expected. The pool area is very well kept and again the facilities were excellent.

A top day at an excellent hotel!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 8, 2012

We have just returned from The Mill for my husband's birthday, joining friends as a surprise, 7/8 January 2012, rooms overlooking the river, huge, spotless as always, the pool and spa luxurious and the 'Dinner Dance' is always great but last night was amazing! Great food, 3 courses and not extortionate, £22 pp, and the bar bill not bad either! The restaurant staff were totally professional and courteous and credit to the DJ for playing all our requests, the place was jumping,fully booked, and at around midnight they bring out complimentary bacon rolls....! Lovely breakfast also.

My huge thanks go to the front desk staff, especially Keren, Roni and Kate, so discreet with my plans keeping the surprise, and Keren finding us a table at the last minute when I had completely forgotten to make the reservation, as promised she called me Saturday morning to say they had sorted it.

I know we all have great weekends away and buzz about them when we return home, however this hotel is outstanding compared to any other as for the service we received for the price is unheard of these days, Well Done guys we will be back, as will our freinds after their first visit, Thankyou, Ellie and Degs

Room Tip: ask for river view to avoid the flyover
Reviewed January 8, 2012

having been told about this hotel by friensds,i decided to give it a try and was not dissapointed,the hotel staff were all very friendly and accomadating,we stayed for 2nights(6/1/2012-8/1/2012)and had a great time.My girlfriend couldn't believe we were stopping there,plus we went into the town on the saturday to go shopping and used the hotel as a base.We will deffinately come back for another stay in the future.

Reviewed January 6, 2012

We stayed at The Mill just before New Year for our wedding anniversary. We had a Club Room which was huge, It was very clean and just the right temperature (I had read lots of reviews that said the rooms were too hot - they have obviously rectified this problem). Our room was facing the street but you could not hear any traffic, despite it being quite busy. The pool and changing rooms were immaculate. All the staff were very friendly, especially the check in staff. We did have to wait about 10 minutes for a table at breakfast which was fine, and the buffet was terrific. The hotel is in the perfect location - between the city and the railway station. Overall, a great hotel and excellent value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for a canal side room for a better view!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights (10/12/11 - 12/12/11) for a nice romantic break without the children. This is our 3rd stay at the hotel in the last few years and we always stay around Xmas time. The hotel has obviously has a refurb and our room was modern, clean and tidy. The room wasnt too hot which other reviews I have read suggest. The pool, sauna etc facilities are excellant. The food at breakfast was also excellant. My wife even asked about mushrooms as they werent on the buffet breakfast and she loves them, so the waitress then got the chef to cook some and it was no trouble. Nothing negative to say about the hotel, the receptin staff were very helpful. Chester itself has some excellant bars, pubs and restaurants.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple