“Great old building”
Review of Blue Bell 1494

Blue Bell 1494
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Bell 1494 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 555 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: International, Grill
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Enjoy the ambience of dining in the oldest surviving domestic structure in Chester,where the first licence to serve ale was granted in 1494 !A genuine medieval inn
Dublin, Ireland
“Great old building”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Visiting Chester over the weekend ,our Hotel recommended this great little restaurant ,food was great,loved their outside yard ,we could have been in Spain ,worth a visit if your in this lovely city

• Visited March 2014

“Lovey food, friendly staff”
Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

Tried El Gato for the first time last night and will certainly be returning. Service came from 2 lovely waitresses - one of which was more chatty and made us feel really welcome. Food was fab. We tucked into loads of tasty tapas and my son enjoyed a main meal as well. Loads of choice for veggies (could have ordered double the things we did but saving stuff to try on my next visit!) we all had puddings and they were yummy. Can't wait to go back. Thanks For a great evening.

Chester, United Kingdom
“Authentic Tapas In Chester Absolutely Amazing Food !”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I have eaten tapas in this gorgeous restaurant twice in the past month .Why ?because my first visit at lunchtime was so lovely I had to go back again.The food was exquisite my friend and I had fresh plump olives and bread to start with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.We then decided to have a selection of tapas to share ,I adore Spanish food and this was even better than I could have expected .Everything was cooked fresh ,piping hot and alive with different flavors .The staff and owners were friendly ,professional and knowledgeable about the food and wines they had to offer.
After my initial visit I could not stop thinking about the food and had to back again ,
Well I went last night early evening, the ambiance was to die for cosy ,candle light and beautiful Spanish music playing in the back ground..Food lovely had selection of tapas again,but I had bread with tomatoes that had been cooked fresh from an old family recipe by one one of the Spanish staff.I then finished with cheese and figs that had been sent over from Spain and a delicious Spanish dessert wine just fabulous !!!!
I cannot rate this establishment highly enough from the interior and exterior they have a courtyard at the back with the original bell dating from the 14th century it is remissant of an old Spanish plaza I had my coffee and dessert out there .Even the ladies toilets(boudoir) had a feminine twist totally in keeping with the authenticity of the quintessential architecture.
I have booked for Mothers Day they have a great menu ,reasonably priced with a free glass of bubbly for your mum.
Try this restaurant it is unique, in my experience one of the best places in Chester.
Hasta La Vista ,
J Shires.

2 Thank jilly s
“Amazing food, amazing atmosphere”
Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

Recently visited The Blue Bell on a first date and I have to say I couldn't have chosen a nicer setting to fall in love. The decor and atmosphere were fantastic. We eat on an early Thursday evening off of the Early Bird menu, 3 tapas plates and a glass of wine for £10 was insanely good value. The hughlught of my meal qas the Salt & Pepper Calamari rings which were simply divine! The service was fabulous and we were well looked after, we even had a visit from 1 of the owners Joanna during are meal who explained a small amount about the history of the building and the famous Blue Bell itself. All in all it was a beautiful evening with a beautiful girl in a beautoful restaurant. Needless to say I got the second date. Benjamin Swash

“Not the best or worst place I have ever been to”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Visited El Gato Negro mid-week with family and friends and left a little disappointed. There were no major issues with anything - the service was excellent, the food was nice, the venue was quaint....I was just expecting a lot more.

The venue itself and menus are a little strange - is it Spanish? Mexican? English? The variety may work for some people but getting multiple menus and being sat in a restaurant with decor and themes from a variety of places seemed a bit odd.

The spanish tapas itself was nice, well cooked and enjoyable, but doesnt come close to many local tapa places or others that we have visited at home or abroad. We had been waiting to go here for some time and were really excited about it, so £60 later with drinks we left a little disappointed.

I wouldnt rule out going back and wouldnt tell people not to go, but it just didnt quite do it for us.