“Lovely restaurant in a very old building!”
Review of El Gato Negro At The Blue Bell - CLOSED

El Gato Negro At The Blue Bell
Cuisines: International, Bar, Grill
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Visited her yesterday for an evening meal having looked on TA for Tapas restaurants in Chester. First impressions very good; we turned up early and they were able to accommodate without any problem. Sat down and our order was promptly taken, a fair selection to choose from and we went for a mixture of cold and warm, our favourites were the Chicken and Chorizu kebabs and the Jerk Chicken in Curry Sauce. Very tasty indeed, we ordered more bread to soak up the remaining sauces they were so nice. Dessert was a choc fudge cake and cheesecake, both very nice indeed. Full to the brim at the end and for £45 including 2 drinks we thought quite reasonable. Would recommend this place if visiting Chester and you fancy something a bit more authentic.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Having read some of the other reviews just now, I can't believe they are talking about the same restaurant. My wife and I and two friends decided to try this place while visiting Chester for the weekend. We picked it mainly because my friend likes paella but the restaurant looked inviting too. The building is very old with a lot of character and a good atmosphere.So far so good. On ordering the paella our spanish waiter told us it would take 40 mins to cook and so went off to give the order before promptly returning to take the rest of our order. That's ok we thought as we knew it was cooked fresh. As there would be a wait my wife and my friends partner decided to have a starter from the set menu and requested that it came out before the paella as starters normally do.Nothing complicated there, but 2 mins later an english waiter came over and took our complete order again saying that there was some confusion as the spanish waiter's english was not that good. We thought his english was fine. Anyway 30 mins later the starters had still not arrived and the next minute the paella came out (before the starters). My friend and I had to start eating the paella while it was still hot. It was nice but there were some under cooked grains of rice. In the meantime the two starters turned up and the staff were very apologetic and gave us a free bottle of asti. My wife said her starter of belly pork was nice. The next problem was when my wife's Aberdeen Angus burger turned up and had cheese on it which was an extra that she hadn't requested as she hates cheese. It looked nice but they said they would get a fresh one. When the new one arrived it was over cooked and rock solid. My wife likes meat well cooked but this was inedible. Again the staff apologised and said they would take it off the bill along with one of the paellas and they gave her a free cocktail as it was her birthday. On looking around at the other diners everyone seemed to be satisfied with the service and the food so I guess we must just have been very unlucky. The staff bent over backwards to help but in the end they were totally unorganised.

1  Thank inkypenn
Joanna T, Manager at El Gato Negro At The Blue Bell, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant.
We value all reviews be they positive or negative to help us enhance our sevice.
I am so sorry that you had such a disappointing dining experience and I appreciate your acknowledgement that our staff "bent over backwards to help".
We are a new restaurant that has grown very quickly and our team strive to offer our customers the very best service.
We deeply regret that on this occasion we failed to deliver.Unfortunately the mis-communication, on this busy Saturday night , between our staff resulted in confusion which adversely affected your dining experience.
Your review has helped me to evaluate our sevice and refine our practices .
We do hope that next time you visit Chester you will give us a second chance!

Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

Have been a few times now and will be back again!
The building itself is fantastic as is the food, drinks and service. Authentic tapas along with a relaxed, yet professional service just add to the atmosphere. Fiancé loves the cosmopolitans!

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant.
Your review has helped me to evaluate our sevice and refine our practices .
We do hope that next time you visit Chester you will give us a second chance!

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Had 3 tapas with a glass of wine for £9.95 at lunch. All fresh ingredients, arrived quick and tasted great. Staff keen to please. Another great place to eat added to the list. Give it a try!

Reviewed January 24, 2014

On 21 January 2014 twenty four members of the Merseyside and Mid Cheshire branch of IWFS visited the restaurant which is in very interesting premises dating back to 1400.The selection of wines complemented the five course dinner which surpassed our expectations. The fish dish with a chilli sauce was memorable as was the fillet of beef in a rich sauce which just melted in the mouth.
David Bishop, the Chef, was complimented by all on his imaginative dishes.
Do not be in a rush as all food is prepared against the order.

1  Thank Tim H