“Excellent tour”

Chester Civil War Tours
Ranked #3 of 21 Tours in Chester
More attraction details
Owner description: Bringing to life Chester's amazing story of its Great Siege, The Battle of Rowton Moor and the Pubs and Houses from the 17th century, all wrapped in the overall story of the English Civil War.
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Excellent tour”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

My children and I really enjoyed the tour and we feel we understand this period in history much better now. Our guided adapted the tour so that it was accessible for my daughter who is a wheelchair user.

Chester, United Kingdom
“Deva ain't just about the Romans.”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

This tour really gives you a different angle to Chester. So much history right on the doorstep delivered by a guide that clearly knows his subject. Recommended.
Deva ain't just about the Romans.

45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Fascinating history of Chester”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Really enjoyed my civil war tour with Viv. As someone who has lived in Chester all my life it was great to hear about the history of the city.. most people thinking of Chester immediately think of the Romans, they don't think of the key role the city played in the civil war. The tour took me around the walls learning about what happened during the great siege of Chester from 1645-46, with many tales of the past bought colourfully to life by an expert guide. Nowadays we rightfully complain about having no cinema or theatre etc, imagine how Cestrians felt in 1646 with most of the city reduced to rubble and being starved from the siege, reduced to eating vermin and family pets! Gave me a new appreciation of Chester, thanks!

Chester, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Civil War Pub Tour - what a great tour”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

This is truly a tour of Chester with a difference, absolutely brilliant. I have lived in Chester for over 20 years and to be honest was oblivious to the wealth of Civil War history. Ed really brought this to life during the evening with visits to the various pubs which you wouldn't normally give a second glance to unless you knew their history. It was really interesting and he clearly has a passion for history and certainly knows his stuff. I would highly recommend this tour to anyone. If you have kids and can't do the Pub Tour then go on the Battlefield tour instead. Thanks Ed for a very memorable evening, one I hope to repeat at some time.

Chester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Civil War Pub Tour”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Had a great evening the other night on the civil war pub tour. I have lived in Chester all of my life and this tour really opened my eyes to the history of Chester in the 17th century. We went to three pubs and it was lovely to go "behind the seens" in the pubs. We went into the celler where the beer is brewed beer in the pied bull, what a lovely pub it is too, beautiful staircase. I will definatley be going back to try some of the beer brewed on site. The tour takes you into rooms and areas that are not normally open to the public allowing you to get a real taste of what life was like in the civil war. The tour guide Ed was extremely knowledable and friendly and happy to answer any questions, he also really looked the part dressed as a Royalist. quite a bit of time is spend outside looking at the history of the rows and building so dress up warm. I would recommend this tour to everyone, a brilliant evening. thank you Ed.