“Civil War Pub Tour - what a great tour”

Chester Civil War Tours
Ranked #2 of 19 Tours in Chester
More attraction details
Owner description: Bringing to life Chester's amazing story of its Great Siege, The Battle of Rowton Moor and the Pubs and Houses from the 17th century, all wrapped in the overall story of the English Civil War.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Civil War Pub Tour - what a great tour”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

This is truly a tour of Chester with a difference, absolutely brilliant. I have lived in Chester for over 20 years and to be honest was oblivious to the wealth of Civil War history. Ed really brought this to life during the evening with visits to the various pubs which you wouldn't normally give a second glance to unless you knew their history. It was really interesting and he clearly has a passion for history and certainly knows his stuff. I would highly recommend this tour to anyone. If you have kids and can't do the Pub Tour then go on the Battlefield tour instead. Thanks Ed for a very memorable evening, one I hope to repeat at some time.

Chester, United Kingdom
“Civil War Pub Tour”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Had a great evening the other night on the civil war pub tour. I have lived in Chester all of my life and this tour really opened my eyes to the history of Chester in the 17th century. We went to three pubs and it was lovely to go "behind the seens" in the pubs. We went into the celler where the beer is brewed beer in the pied bull, what a lovely pub it is too, beautiful staircase. I will definatley be going back to try some of the beer brewed on site. The tour takes you into rooms and areas that are not normally open to the public allowing you to get a real taste of what life was like in the civil war. The tour guide Ed was extremely knowledable and friendly and happy to answer any questions, he also really looked the part dressed as a Royalist. quite a bit of time is spend outside looking at the history of the rows and building so dress up warm. I would recommend this tour to everyone, a brilliant evening. thank you Ed.

Manchester, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Step back in Time”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I was in Chester for my birthday and decided to go on the Civil War Tour. The guide was very knowledgeable and brought the period to life. The tour was very informal and became a wander around town, chatting about history. The perfect way to spend an afternoon. I must say that I didn't know a lot about the Civil war period, but this taster has wetted my appetite to learn more.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“"Behind the scenes.. A right royal tour !"”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Want a pub tour with a difference ? One you will remember ? Then I recommend you do the Chester Civil war pub tour. I have lived in Chester most of my life & spent many years frequenting the pubs we toured but I had never noticed the three hundred year old staircase in the Pied Bull or statues on the Northgate rows. My eyes have been opened to Chester in the 17th century. We also were on the tour on 1st October. Our tour guide Ed, dressed as a Royalist complete with sword vividly described life in Chester during the civil war. I could almost hear the soldiers running to the Cross. Everyday life too was depicted, from wealth to poverty and sickness. We had a most memorable evening and were allowed private access to cellars and staircases. Would make a great Christmas night out !

Chester, England, United Kingdom
“Great way to kick off the year!”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I am the President of Chester University's History Society and we started our academic year with the Civil War Pub Tour. We have a mix of first, second and third years as well as post graduates and everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves! Not only was the historical content fascinating it was also a great way of going around the city we live in, but may not actually know that much about. The tour consisted of 4 civil war era pubs, none of which I have ever been to before but all were great and finding the history behind them, as well as the general civil war context was invaluable. Even though I am a history student at the University I am quite ignorant of the Civil War era - not any more! Also Ed and Vivienne are two of the funnest, nicest and most friendly people you could tour with, not to mention their vast amounts of knowledge! I would whole-heartedly recommend it to anyone!