“Tasty roast dinner”
Review of Linenhall - CLOSED

Linenhall
Cuisines: British, Bar, European, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Chester
“Tasty roast dinner”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

One of the best roast dinners I've had and all at a bargain price of £5.95! We both had the roast chicken which came with both breast and thigh meat and a pie slice of stuffing which was a nice touch. The vegetables were cooked perfectly and it was well presented. Would definitely recommend and will be going back soon.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Jen S

Chester, United Kingdom
“Great Evening”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

12 friends and I went to Linen Hall for dinner to celebrate my birthday. We were all of the same opinion, we had a wonderful evening the food was cooked perfectly and the presentation was really good. Ben looked after us with excellent service and mixed fabulous cocktails. I have been back since with my family the food and the service excellent.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank 4Geri1963
North Wales
“Sunday Roast at Linenhall Bar - Watergate, Chester.”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Arrived around 12:30 to a very quiet bar with a very personable and accommodating barman.

We were confidently recommended the Roast Sirloin of beef @ £5:95 and sat in a quiet corner and read a paper for 10 mins whilst we sipped our wine and beer.

Our lunch arrived on a very full plate accompanied by good vegetables and well cooked moist tasty beef.
A Sunday roast minutes up the road is circa £12:95 so our experience and remarks reflects what good value this quiet bar is.
We even got extra gravy on request which made the Sirloin even better.

Good beer, good wine and excellent beef but the place needs to be busier on a Sunday.

Roasters need to Roast!

Well done to this quiet bar and its front of house and support staff.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank TENZNorthWales
“Food ok, quite pricey for what it is”
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Same set up as fat cat - bar tender showed us to a table and brought the menus over and discussed the specials which were quite expensive.

Asked why we would like to drink we looked for the drinks menu but was informed they didn't have one as we're working from the fat cat drinks menu.

Food was nice had better at other restaurants and got more for my money.

Went to lay the bill and we had been overcharged so make sure you check the bill!

Would I go again? Prob not there's a lot new nicer pubs in town than here

• Visited June 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
“New name, good food”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Having come into Chester for something to eat thought we would try the Linen Hall since it stopped being the Fat Cat. The outside look is really good and when you go in it's a good atmosphere. The staff were really pleasant, but not too hot on seating you or taking orders. We just found our own table and then went to the bar for menus and once we had chosen to order. Now many pubs have that kind of service, which is fine, but they do make it clear that's what you need to do. In actual fact I think that they are geared to take the orders at the table but.... Anyway, ordered food and drink (the bar has some nice beers if that's your preference by the way) at the bar. The cutlery was brought to the table and shortly after came the food, nicely presented. I had the fish and chips I thought it was a large portion, it looked well cooked and fresh it tasted delicious and was accompanied with three 'dips' two I really enjoyed but the third (seemed to be olives chopped up in mayo of some kind?) was horrible but that was the only low point regarding the food which was worth the trip. Somehow even the chaotic(?) service didn't bother me too much, although it might have done in other circumstances, and the two staff I encountered where really nice and seemed to be sincere in there desire that you enjoy yourself, the food and drink. Just sharpen up the act on the service and this will be a great venue. The bill came smartly when asked for (luckily I checked it as I was overcharged on the drinks) but once again was so slow that I got up and paid at the bar in the end. Oh and the water I ordered never came, but nor was I charged for it so?....

I'd go back to see if they had got everything together but wouldn't bother if there was no improvement. I think this could be a great venue, it's close to the racecourse so great for drinks and food pre/post racing or just to enjoy good food and drink, because they do serve good food and drink.

Try it but just be prepared to go with the flow!

• Visited June 2013