“Lovely venue and good food”

The White Horse, Chester Racecourse
Ranked #185 of 567 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 6, 2014

I was in Chester on a business trip and as I stayed at the Holiday Inn I had dinner at the White Horse. In fact, if you stay at the Holiday Inn you are entitled to 10% discount, which is good.
I didn't have great expectations but the venue is really lovely: they have a lot of tables outside, there is a big playground and even if you stay inside they can open the big windows and the ceiling as well so it's like being outside.
I found the food selection good and I liked the idea that they had some special of the day. They also have some special offers some days of the week.
It is true that the staff (apart from one) wasn't overly friendly or welcoming, just polite and ok really (but this is what you normally get when you have a meal alone). It is also true that the food took long to arrive and the starter was a bit small for the price. However, the food I had was freshly cooked and really delicious and the dishes have good and unusual combinations of ingredients. I would go back and I would try it with friends as well on a sunny day!

1  Thank Diletta
There are newer reviews for The White Horse, Chester Racecourse

Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

There was a big group of us dinning this time, and the venue location/design set the expectations pretty high.
We made a reservation but they made a mistake and the food was delivered one hour later!
There was also a mistake made on their behalf when not making the correct amounts of mains that were ordered, which meant one of us had to wait another 15 minutes for his main...
What really pissed us off was instead of the staff members apologising for their mistake, they didn't take any responsibly for it, try to make it look like it was our fault, and didn't offer anything as compensation!
When we got the bill, the guy had to amend it twice due to mistakes that they have made (obviously in their favour).
They eventually knocked out a couple of drinks from the bill but that's not good enough.

Food was tasty with decent portions.

Toilet were dirty and it wasn't even that busy.

Won't be returning to this one I'm afraid.

Reviewed August 2, 2014

We visited the white horse on July 27th after booking a table for 2, after arriving we were seated and warned that if we wanted to eat there would be a 30 min wait for food. After waiting for 10 mins nobody came to take our order for drinks/food, so I asked a waitress if I could order, the drinks came promptly but another 15 mins passed and our starters hadn't arrived even though it was just a bowl of nuts! Again I prompted a member of staff who brought our starter to us. 50 mins later our mains arrived, we both had the loaded hotdog which was very poor, stale bread, and soggy salad accompanied our meal. There seems to be an abundance of staff a the white horse but no organisation, we were offered complimentary drinks but it didn't really make up for the poor service, and poor quality of food!

Reviewed July 29, 2014

The staff were friendly and attentive, the food and setting was perfect... I had the BBQ and teh outside worker was Jonny he was brill, seemed nautural relaxed and wanting to ensure we were happy

1  Thank Susan K
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We have become frequent visitors to TWH, even though it is out of way because it is a fantastic place for adults and children alike. My daughter loves to play on the pirate ship and just as equally loves to decorate her own pizza, whilst I can sit and relax in the beautiful surroundings watching my daughter enjoy herself. I've actually become quite partial to the Sunday lunch.
The staff are always friendly but it's the way they interact with my little girl that keeps us coming back, the simple comments on how she's decorated her pizza goes a long way, and talking her directly about her menu choices makes her feel all 'grown up'.
I just love the whole set up and it gives me a rare opportunity to actually just relax whilst my daughter plays. We'll continue to come back!

2  Thank AngelaEv