“Ok but overpriced!”

The White Horse, Chester Racecourse
Ranked #185 of 554 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Large groups, Bar scene, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Chester, United Kingdom
“Ok but overpriced!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

Lovely venue, lovely setting on the racecourse and a brilliant play area outside for the children, although they do need to be supervised as there are some areas an adventurous toddler could throw themselves off.

My partner and I with our 9 yr old and 2 yr old went on a visit. Service was friendly and fast, the food ordered was average, and tiny portions for an adult. My main felt like a starter and there was no salad or veg and was served on a long thin oblong wooden board! I ordered chicken skewer which was ONE skewer and a tiny "glass" of chips with a spoonful of yoghurt dressing. I believe that cost £12 or £13 quid :/

I inhaled that in no time and was still peckish, I thought thank goodness I had ordered a garlic and cheese bread and got stuck into that. Unfortunately, that just tasted of butter and cheese, was eaten quickly and didn't touch the sides. I reckon the actual cost of making my meal was about £3-£4...Plenty of markup there...

The children ate their meals and they enjoyed them but there wasn't nearly enough for them. Although pudding was nice for them.

My partner got the buttermilk chicken burger and he said it was average, although his meal was bigger.

All in for 2 kiddy meals, 2 adult meals and some soft drinks the bill came to £52 which in my eyes is expensive for what I considered half a meal if that. Won't be returning.

• Visited March 2014

Chester, United Kingdom
“Awful from start to finish”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

We booked a table for 5 people at 1.30 we were all on time and were shown to our table. A few of the party had arrived early they had a drink already and 1 menu. When we sat at the table we waited 20 minutes before we got any menus and this was only after we asked for some more. We ordered some sharing nibbles to start and our mains. By 3pm I had to go and find someone to check if our mains were coming out! When the food was eventually bought to the table it was cold. The service was awful, the staff were made up of students who clearly had no training in customer service. As some water for the table had to be asked for 3 times. When check where the food was there was no apology or explanation for the delay. Tables around us had sat down after we had, had a 3 course meal before we got our mains.
We were really disappointed we left before we ate and went somewhere else for £15 a main I would expect hot food.

Chester
“OK but not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

Overpriced steak meal consisted of frozen chips, one mushroom and half a tomato.
Chicken and Bombay potatoes consisted of a few pieces of warmish chicken on skewer with small pieces of spicyish potatoes - not what I really expected, served on wood. Overall disappointing meals.

Widnes, United Kingdom
“Racecourse Attraction”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

Found this relatively new pub on the racecourse site by accident, after talking to racecourse staff. Visited with my partner for a light lunch. We only had the soup, as we had eaten a good breakfast in our hotel. Service was attentive, but not overbearing. We feel that we would return to sample further dishes when in the area again. Lovely venue, although it was quite warm with the log burners etc. We will return.

• Visited February 2014
Chester
“Lovely setting, nice food, enormous crèche!!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

My husband and I went for the first time for Sunday lunch. The setting is lovely and the food is nice. However, although it wasn't full, the majority of the diners were families with young children. Unfortunately, these families consisted of unruly parents who let their children scream and shout and run up and down the long walkway of the restaurant. While it may be nice for parents to have their children run to the other end of the room so they can have some peace and quiet, other diners have to suffer the consequential noise of their children.

The staff are mostly quite young and very polite but unfortunately lack the confidence to ask parents to keep control of their children. The enormous climbing frame/ship outside may have been a precursor of what to expect inside, unfortunately this clearly goes to waste as parents would rather sit down and let their screaming children play in the restaurant than the designated play area outside.

• Visited February 2014