“Nice atmosphere and tasty food.”

The White Horse, Chester Racecourse
Ranked #194 of 576 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We were quite impressed by the food and service. The Monday night we visited was quiet and may account for the extra attention we received. The food was very good and sourced locally we were informed by the chef who also offered a tasting sample of the excellent beef,as we could not make up our minds just what to order.We would suggest that this restaurant is a good choice whenever in Chester. We are returning next month with some overseas visitors and expect another good meal.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

I visited with my family on a Saturday for lunch, it was fairly busy but not packed - we got a table straight away. The service was terrible - we were actually very entertained by watching how this beautiful place was being run. The whole team seemed very young and inexperienced, with no-one actually in charge of them. One 'boy' was too busy watching the football results screen, and was actually putting plates on tables whilst still trying to watch the tv; the bar was full of empty glasses; it took a while to be served; our drinks were delivered half spilt. One couple near us complained and when they left abruptly, the only waitress actually doing any work got told off for not looking after them properly! Comical. Such a shame, as lovely outdoor area, gorgeous interior, food was just 'ok'. Will not be rushing back - what a waste of a business opportunity.

1  Thank Nikki T
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Visited this lovely restaurant last night for the first time. Very impressed with the menu and decor . The toilets in particular were of a very high standard. The only criticism I have is that although quick on getting starters we had to wait about an hour before we got the main course ! The staff were very friendly and I would definitely visit again though.

Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I are regulars in the 1539 so, are expectations where to receive the same kind of service. How wrong could we be it was terrible. We waited 50mimuites to be served and then received a response of cant you see we are busy! No excuse. The staff are young inexperienced and rude and I would suggest that they clearly need training and direction. We will defiantly not be returning instead we'll stickwith the 1539.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

This was my first visit to the restaurant and I will definitely visit again. The food was excellent, and the staff were very attentive and polite. No complaints whatsoever.