“Terrible. Simply terrible.”
Review of Canalside Inn - CLOSED

Canalside Inn
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Arrived at Canalside Inn on Friday evening at 7:45. Went to order food to be told over half of the menu was not available. Despite the menu stating food was being served until 10:30pm, when I placed the order a very irate woman from the kitchen came out and angrily told the barmaid that no more food orders were being taken but demanded that our order be the last one.
Ordered ham, egg and chips: chips warmed through, soggy and bland, dried up peas, stale bread and on top of that, remarkably they thought it acceptable to charge somebody to serve them a few slices of wet, processed, shaped ham. The whole meal was so appalling I barely touched it and when asked at the end of the meal if everything was alright, I complained with no refund or apology offered (why ask if you're not bothered?!).
I have never given a 1 star rating on tripadvisor before, but this really was awful. There are that many excellent places to eat in Chester (another 3 within 30yards of the Canalside Inn) - there is simply no reason to accept this level of service and quality in a busy city centre.

2  Thank gdm81

Reviewed July 11, 2013

with it being so hot and sticky decided to visit town for a couple of drinks and some pub grub,it,s a nice stroll along the canal to the inn and the pub itself is well kept with plenty of outside seating and tables for the rare occasions we get good weather. not busy at all which is more likely to be down to location as people won,t walk too far for fear of getting too tired !! after a drink each we ordered our meals which consisted of goats cheese salad and a nice leek soup (in case I got cold) followed by a cheese and leek burger and fishcake all seemed homemade and tasted good sadly the chips were the usual frozen variety which was a pity,service was o.k. but the young girl looked so miserable and didn,t seem to want to be there,no smile,no conversation,all in all hard work which was a pity,and would make me think twice before eating there again.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

We had intended to eat here in the evening of our stay in Chester but decided to go elsewhere where we would be made more welcome.
We had walked past the bar in the morning and thought it might be ideal for an evening meal. On walking back in the late afternoon sun, we decided to have drink at an outside table. I went in to order, only to be met with a stare from the barmaid. I must have looked shocked by her expression because she continued to stare and uttered a gruff 'You alright'. Not 'Can I help?' or 'What would you like?' Not even a 'Yes please?' Just 'You alright'.
I asked for a pint of a particular brand of beer from the pump but was told that it was off. There were other beers on offer, but all of them brands unknown to me. I was not offered any alternatives or given guidance on the types of they were. Needless to say, we did not stay there or return in the evening.
A fine example of how good manners cost nothing but ignorance is costly in business.

Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Initially we were going to go to the old Harkers Arms next door but due to the children ban we went to canalside. It was very quiet, other than another group with children . The food was nice and good value. We had baguettes with salad and chips, ( over oiled salad) but chicken melt was lovely! Service could be improved if the guy serving us actually spoke ! He just guestured who's food was which !! Rude ! Would go there again thou !

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We went to the Canalside on a Saturday afternoon about 3.00ish- it wasn't very busy, there were just a few people in watching football.
I went to the bar to order food for our party of four, we had decided to get 2 of the 'sharing platters' for starters and then steak meals for main courses. I tried to order the starters but bleach blonde waitress with half bitten nail varnish was confounded by the till, I can't in fairness say anything other than she was very pleasant and apologetic though but in the end we had to give up on technology and she wrote everything down on a piece of paper and took it into the kitchen, meanwhile I was receiving cheeky txts from my other guests asking if I was lost !! I sat back at the table (finally) and the waitress came over with cutlery, unfortunately they hadn't got enough steak knives so one of us had a kitchen type knife... the meals then arrived but the main courses came first... when we asked about the starters we were told "we were going to bring them all at the same time" duh!! so we cancelled the starter needless to say... when all the meals turned up my pepper sauce was missing so I had to ask about that, I started my dinner and it arrived some time later. They also provided a pot of mustard on request but nothing to serve it with so we had to delve in with our forks. I can only say that the steaks were very tasty and cooked as requested, the meals were however served on cold plates so by the time I was finishing, the peas had reverted to their former frozen status. We ordered deserts and a while later were told one of them was not available so had to choose an alternative, the deserts came, were nice enough but we were given soup spoons to eat them with... the restaurant was not very warm and with the televisions playing sport not really for us...

1  Thank 35Hunter