“Beautiful hotel”

Ranked #1 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We visited Edgar House after reading the positive reviews and it lived up to our expectations and more! The room was beautiful, gorgeous decor, large sash windows and a lovely terrace overlooking the river. The owners of the hotel are friendly and welcoming without being 'over the top'. It takes only a few minutes to walk into the city centre and parking was free. We had a wonderful stay here and we will definitely return. Thank you for a fabulous night away from the kids!!

Michael S, Owner at Edgar House, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear KGStaffs
Thank you ever so much for your lovely review. It was our absolute pleasure to look after you and Andy, and I do hope we can look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.
Best wishes,
Mike.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I've visited Chester a few times and stayed at the Chester Grosvenor prior to this occasion. Browsing on-line I discovered Edgar House because of its rave reviews and as a result made a booking over a long weekend.
I wouldn't say this lightly but what a truly fantastic experience. I'm a bit of a stickler for attention to detail but Edgar House surpasses by some margin anywhere I've ever stayed before. The rooms are simply stunning with some having a higher bed for example, so the lovely river outside the window can be seen. The subtle lighting, beautiful bathroom and the balcony overlooking the weir on the river - fantastic. The food is quite obviously locally sourced, we had breakfast on one of the morning we stayed, I wish I'd had it on the other. Everything has so much care lavished on it. I'm running out of adjectives to describe this lovely hotel.

Personally though I appreciate what must have been an incredible about of work that's gone into creating such a wonderful place, even the smallest detail obviously carefully thought through. The owners Mike and Tim are caring delightful hosts who were even kind enough for example to offer my girlfriend and I a glass of champagne while we waited for a taxi they had booked. I particularly loved the honesty bar housed in a black telephone booth and the private cinema available to residents. Had I the time I'd have stayed all week. I loved it.

Room Tip: Pick a room with a balcony. Sitting outside with a glass of wine overlooking the river is delightful...
1 Thank SG54LAM
Michael S, Owner at Edgar House, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear SG54LAM
Thank you ever so much for your wonderful review. I have to say it makes us feel very proud, but also humble at the same time to have created something which gives people so much pleasure - which is of course our raison d'être.
We would be delighted to welcome you and Charlotte back again very soon.
With very best wishes,
England
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We live in Chester and wanted some luxury for a night away from the kids. It was everything we wanted. Great location, luxurious room and fantastic service. We would recommend the breakfast in your room, sat in bed overlooking the river and walls made us forget the normal madness at this time of the day.
We will be returning.

Michael S, Owner at Edgar House, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Skibumengland
Many thanks indeed for your super review. We're thrilled you had a great time - we try to make sure that being pampered is high on the agenda! :)
Great that you enjoyed your breakfast in bed too.
It would be lovely to look after you again, so we hope to see you again soon.
Best wishes,
Coventry
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We've stayed in hundreds of hotels and B&Bs and Edgar house is by far the best to date. The location is fantastic, the renovations fabulous and the personal service from Mike and Tim was world class! So called six star hotels don't offer service like this and it really made our weekend. Restaurants booked for us, offers of breakfast in the room (as was our arrival lunch) just made us feel like we were being utterly spoiled. As we arrived early Mike showed us the other rooms too... They are ALL fantastically appointed and decorated.... Our room, a river view with balcony was out of this world. If you are after a fantastic weekend... Book Edgar House... Go on do it , no need to look any further!! (And no, I'm not on commission!!).

• Stayed June 2013
Michael S, Owner at Edgar House, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear JonHine69
What an amazing review, that's fantastic. I'm so thrilled that you and Catherine had such a great time and that you felt spoilt - that's exactly our aim of course.
I hope you can find the time to come visit us again soon.
With best wishes,
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2013

From the moment you arrive to the moment you leave... It is an experience to savour!

The Rooms are stunning & beautifully designed... We were lucky enough to be there in the gorgeous sunshine & imagine waking, after a deep sleep, pushing open our balcony doors & hearing the sounds from the River Dee gushing over Salmon Leap!!! Bliss!

The service, food & gardens are first class but with a personal touch you seldom find in hotels today!

We cannot wait to go back... & couldn't recommend Edgar House highly enough! Our dilemma now is do we tell all our friends about our discovery....or do we keep it a "hidden gem" for as long as we can!!!

Thanks Mike & Tim for a wonderful experience ....see you soon!
Lou & Karen

Room Tip: Each has a unique decor....the website should help you choose....we loved the Riverview Deluxe with...
Michael S, Owner at Edgar House, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Lou and Karen
Many thanks indeed for your fantastic review. It was as always a pleasure to serve you again.
The weather did help it has to be said, so you could enjoy the balcony and the garden. The sight of Lou eating a "Full Edgar" under the Weeping Ash is one I will remember for a while :)
Please come back again soon. Mike.
Silverstone
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Myself and friends booked Edgar House for a weekend away in my home town of Chester for a relaxing break and a trip over into N.Wales for a day at the races at Bangor on Dee.
We booked a 2 night stay and from the moment we arrived I knew we had found somewhere special.

The attention to detail is out of this world...rooms were large, sumptuous and plush with fantastic wet rooms laiden with Molton Brown toiletries. Beautiful sash windows overlook the River Dee which gently helps you drift off to sleep after a busy day in this beautiful city. Breakfast was inviting and relaxed with an extentive but locally sourced menu.
Quirky touches such as the honesty bar, housed in a phone box added theatre with 2 lounges to chose from whilst you sip a G&T !

This is simply a wonderful place to stay, centrally located within a 5 min walk into the centre of town, but quiet enough to relax and unwind....I cant wait until my next visit.

Room Tip: Speak to Tim, he will tell you all you need to know.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Katiehugs
Michael S, Owner at Edgar House, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear Katiehugs
And I like that username by the way :)
Thank you SO much for your great review.
It was an absolute pleasure to have looked after you guys, and we're so pleased that you had a great time. I am writing this response from the garden, where you had lunch - the sun has finally poked his head out today, so making the most of it.
I hope you can come back again soon.
Best wishes and thanks once again.
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I don't even know where to begin: the entire experience was absolutely fantastic!

The attention to detail (and perfection) greets you from the moment you arrive: Tim and Mike (the owners) were very welcoming, the decor is very modern and the rooms are OUT OF THIS WORLD! I absolutely loved the finishing touches and the individuality of the rooms: the very unique beds, the luxurious bathrooms!

We had a room with a balcony where we had breakfast - absolutely amazing views and the service was impecable! Food: amazing!

Best of all, I loved the passion that Mike and Tim had for their business and ensuring that we had a great experience.

Practical info: parking is available in courtyard; town centre is 2 minutes walking distance; Edgar House offers a great food menu - tables set in a fantastic garden overlooking the river - open to non-residents as well; coffee in the room is REAL coffee (not instant!)

Absolutely loved it, thank you!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gabriela S
Michael S, Owner at Edgar House, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear Gabi
We're absolutely bowled over by your wonderful review. Thank you SO much - it means a lot to us. We're thrilled that you and Peter had such a lovely time, and we hope we can welcome you back again soon - and if we ever get any summery weather this year, perhaps breakfast on your balcony would be even more enjoyable without a blanket :)
Many thanks again Gabi