“Definitely recommend you pop here for coffee!”
Review of Cinderbox Coffee

Cinderbox Coffee
Ranked #6 of 36 Coffee & Tea in Chester
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Cinderbox Coffee is a friendly, independent coffee shop in the heart of Chester. Save up to 30% on our daily deals. All deals are served with our finest, authentic, Italian, dark roast coffee. Here at Cinderbox we don’t do tiny, our coffee cups can attest to this. We have freshly made panini’s, bagels, croissants and sandwiches. We always have a variety of locally made cakes and pastries, with a range of gluten free cakes. New this summer we have Gelato, Cinder Shakes, Frappes and Smoothies. We have an outdoor sitting area, looking out onto Bridge Street, which is a popular spot to sit and eat our gelato, sip on our new shakes and relax. Cinderbox has a number of comfy couches, for those times you just need to rest your legs and have a coffee. We are open for breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea. The team at Cinderbox look forward to seeing you.
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Wonderful coffee/mocha I've ever had! Lovely relaxing surroundings and very nice Manager - nothing too much trouble! Thank you Jez! Looking forward to our next visit!

1  Thank jacquihughes
Jez S, Owner at Cinderbox Coffee, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2014

Thank you for the wonderful comments Jacqui! We’re really pleased to hear that you felt relaxed and that you received a high level of service. See you again soon!

Reviewed April 14, 2014

Went to Cinderbox for coffee and lunch with friends today. The staff were welcoming - nothing was too much trouble. The coffee was excellent as was the cheese and ham toastie. I would highly recommend this establishment.

1  Thank Pat T

Thank you so much for your comments Pat, they are very much appreciated by all of the team. Come back soon!

Reviewed April 8, 2014

Visited cinderbox am today ,
Great welcolme very friendly,
Fab coffees and toast.
Very clean and a very warm ,genuine welcolme
Will be back and bring the hubby

2  Thank Sal19661

We’re very pleased that you had a great experience at Cinderbox Sal. We look forward to your next visit - with the hubby! Thanks again.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

sunday morning chilled out, big seats, and coffee in the cinderhouse, very nice, very attentive, good price, thank you

1  Thank nigel28

Thank you for your kind comments Nigel. A relaxed atmosphere, great coffee and great service is our aim. We look forward to you visiting again soon!

Reviewed March 8, 2014

I went there to meet a friend. I was greeted with a smile from a man and placed my order. He was helpful as can be expected, very pleasant and I felt he was really genuine. The mini-library is a great touch and some of the photos around the place were lovely. The other staff member was lovely too.

1 of the 2 let-downs was the decor as a whole, which I felt was an attempt at branding. A good idea and done well, but a little too early in the game and un-necessary.

The 2nd was the espresso. I'm a coffee addict so I will drink almost any espresso when in need. I'm also a professional baristo so I can say in confidence that the quality suffered at the hands of the preparation. It was thin, hardly any crema and bitter to tasteless. I understand I didn't make my complaint known at the time, but that should never have been served. I can only assume they were either unaware it was sub-standard, or completely aware and not minding.

I don't mean to dig, as I said the people were lovely and it's clear a lot of caring has gone in to the business as a whole, just I think the coffee needs attention.

I'll be back for sure :)

Jez S, Owner / Manager at Cinderbox Coffee, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Thank you for visiting my coffee shop and for taking the time to write a review. You have obviously considered your review for a lengthy period of time as your visit took place in January of this year. I am pleased that you appreciated our high level of customer service and the warm, friendly ambience of Cinderbox. I will now address the two points that you raise.

Firstly: ‘an attempt at branding’. We are an independent coffee shop. We are one and only one. And we have our own identity. We greatly value our customers’ views and ideas and through this we have created (and continue to create) our environment. Our logo? Selected from an internet competition (which had over 160 entries from people all over the world). We think it is eye-catching. Our Wordle – proudly displayed on the back wall? A summary of what I, my friends and our customers believed a good coffee shop should be. This is not branding, it is what Cinderbox is about. ‘a little bit too early in the game’? I couldn’t disagree more.

Secondly: our espresso. Our grinders are checked regularly to ensure the correct consistency of our coffee grind. Our espresso machine is also regularly monitored to ensure the correct timing and the correct level of crema. I start every day that I work at Cinderbox with a double espresso myself, as I no doubt did on the day that you visited. As the owner, manager and a fellow trained barista I am disappointed to hear that you felt it should ‘never have been served’. Yes, we were ‘unaware’ that you were unhappy with your coffee. This was due to you not informing us at the time! In your review of another local independent coffee shop (aren’t we lucky to have so many independents in Chester?) posted two days earlier than this review, you appear to have been able to take the time to speak to the barista. As you say in your review of Cinderbox, we were ‘helpful’ and ‘lovely’ so I do not understand why you did not speak to us there and then, rather than wait until you left to write your review. Your comment regarding us being ‘completely aware and not minding’ about the quality of our coffee? An incorrect (and insulting) presumption.

We do look forward to you visiting again and hopefully, with the time that has passed since you visited, you would maybe now feel able to give us any comments during your visit. As a fellow barista I would very much enjoy discussing the coffee shop in which you work and your techniques: at Cinderbox Coffee we are always learning and developing and it is through constructive feedback that we aim to improve even further.