“Fantastic staff and great food”
Review of Oddfellows chester

Oddfellows chester
Ranked #136 of 569 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 28, 2013

This was my first visit and was pleasantly surprised by the decor attentiveness of the staff. The restaurant provides both indoor and outdoor seating, we sat outdoors within a courtyard with lots of cosy areas to choose from and ample seating. We ordered only a main and dessert as it was fairly early, along with a cocktail each. The bartender was excellent and provided a variety of options. The waitress was efficient and took our order promptly while we sat drinking our cocktails. The food was very well presented and well cooked, and the dessert was fab. We both enjoyed our meals thoroughly and would happily return.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

There's not much wrong with the food. The menu is interesting and offers lots of choice but the problem is none of it is great. The Simon Radley at the Grovesnor has the same kind of interesting ideas but is pulled off brilliantly. Here it just seems to miss by a fraction, the overly strong orange in the Osso bucco, the over powerful pickles with the scallops and the fine but bland desserts.
The two problems for this restaurant are its connection to the other Radley restaurant which it nurtures but will always suffer in comparison to, and the fact they price themselves half way to that menu. If it had been normal restaurant prices it would have been a satisfactorily enjoyable night, however the pricing leaves a sour taste. The worst example being we were charged £7.50 for the bread and olive plate which was placed on the table prior to our starters. We had had not ordered this, and therefore we all assumed this was complimentary ( as is the bread basket at most mid range restaurants).

1  Thank explorerUk
Reviewed September 11, 2013

good atmosphere and good drinking restaurant located in the center of the city would do it again.
But the food is a bit pricey

Reviewed September 11, 2013

I went to Oddfellows after the races with 2 of my friends.

I ordered lamb main as did my friend and my other friend ordered the Rib Eye Steak. The service was slow and the restaurant was only half full!

The lamb arrived and 1 was much bigger than the other so we complained and they changed one of them to a larger portion. My friends steak was very very well done and she had ordered it medium so we complained again!

They came out to say that they had run out of steak and that they were doing my friend some Rump Steak instead. When the steak came we had finished our lamb so it wasn't great that my friend was eating her meal on her own.

The Rump Steak was disgusting - it was two very large pieces and they tasted like liver. We complained to the Manager Mo and he said that he had tried it and that there was nothing wrong with it!

I was so disappointed as I have eaten her before and had good food and good service but this experience has put me off eating here again.

1  Thank Lisacarew_11
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

The positives
Great atmosphere, quirky decor, pleasant staff.
But, I had the steak tartare which is minuscule and actually the whole dish tasted unpleasant. Then Osso Buco which was served with a risotto that tasted of soap. The whole dish was in edible.

My advice. Go for a drink, avoid the food!