“Pitiful”

Alfresco
Ranked #43 of 46 Coffee & Tea in Chester
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Pitiful”
Reviewed May 12, 2014

This café is in a lovely part of Chester and I would have expected a really nice light lunch in equally pleasant surroundings. It was absolutely the worst excuse for a café I have been to. The surroundings are dirty, the tables and chairs uncomfortable and have been shoe-horned in leaving no space for the waitress to serve food or drink. The table I sat at had a plank of wood as it's table top. Giving it the benefit of my doubt, we ordered a sandwich each. My ham salad on granary bread came with very wet diced iceberg lettuce, cucumber that hadn't been sliced, tomato still with stalk on, one slice of thin ham and buttered bread so thick I had to dismantle the entire sandwich to remove some of the butter. Absolutely hideous and not a place I would recommend or will ever return to.

• Visited May 2014

“A speedy lunch”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Food here was great, but we were soon rushed out once our plates and cups were empty. I know it was lunchtime and the place was quite busy, but we were asked to leave with what we felt was undue haste! The same waitress asked us 5 separate times 'Was everything alright with your food today?' which was a bit irritating. Not the best place in Chester for lunch, but ok.

• Visited April 2014
Chester, United Kingdom
“Delicious coffee and cakes”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Just a lovely little spot for coffee and homemade cakes. They also do a mean jacket potato and hot sandwich selection. Well worth a visit for something a bit different

Visited February 2014
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“Do not go here.”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Very rude man took our order. Spoke to us like we were peasants. Staff were unorganised and indifferent. Left without trying the food or drink.
McDonald's is opposite and the staff there were far more pleasant.

• Visited March 2014
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“An experience I'd rather not repeat.”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I visit Chester regularly and like to try different restaurants and cafes. Thought I d have an inexpensive snack and called in to Alfresco. The staff seemed disorganised and ran around like scalded cats. I was sick of being pushed as they raced past with food without an apology. I had a coffee and coronation chicken(warmed up) on baked potato . I can honestly say I have never had anything like it. More like a stir fried chicken dish. Horrible. For the £8 I could have got something much better elsewhere.

• Visited February 2014