“Good food and service, recommended”
Review of Ellie's Bistro - CLOSED

Ellie's Bistro
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Mother and I dined here just before Evensong at Chester cathedral. I was a bit dubious at first because it was empty, but the waitress was lovely and welcoming. I particularly appreciated the fact that she took such care to guard our limited time. She was efficiency itself. I enjoyed my main course which was good to very good, but the sweet was absolutely excellent. The steamed pudding and custard had a delicacy which I usually find lacking these days. I will certainly return when I visit Chester in Summer 2014. 4.5 out of 5.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Went hear for a private party function room upstairs. Drinks were cheap but too soon realise the reason why!!! I was drinking bombay sapphire gin watered down. Complained too get shrugged sholders. Vodka also watered down. Shocking service. Will never be going hear again!!!

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Found by chance on Saturday when in Chester. Popped in for a coffee but also had a lovely sandwich. Great choice and good quality and at £5.95 including a good salad and bowl of thick chips was nicely priced. Also good value bowl of soup. Nice "buzzing" atmosphere and clearly very popular. Friendly, helpful and efficient staff. Extensive menu for "proper" meals. Will definitely go again.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

oh dear! called in today for coffee for 4 of us, place was a tip, no-one seemed to know what they were doing and there were no menu's available. we waited ages to get a menu and eventually went and found one ourselves! we finally got our order taken and then waited and waited for our drinks which were cold when they finally came. it wasn't even busy! worst place in chester - don't go!

Reviewed December 29, 2012

We visited Ellie's for a lunchtime snack whilst walking the Chester Walls. We accepted the offer of soup & a sandwich for £6 along with a baked potato. Both meals exceeded our expectations - tasty soup with a generously filled sandwich - potato accompanied with salad. This visit gave us opportunity to browse the menu. A good variety of well priced meals along with a reasonably priced wine list. The service was friendly if a little slow.
The Bistro has only been open for around 4 weeks (formerly The Rectory) and has new management. This shows in couple of simple areas which I'm sure will be sorted out - do customers wait to be seated? Is payment made at he counter or table?

In summary good value meals, snacks and wines in a friendly atmosphere.

1  Thank ChesterMike