“Never disappoints!”

Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Had another delicious meal here, very good menu, nice and varied. The service was excellent and there was a nice cosy atmosphere perfect after a hard days shopping! I would recommend booking at popular times and definitely at a weekend to guarantee a table. Oh, and the ladies toilets are fab!

1  Thank Emma W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,604)

Reviewed November 25, 2013

We had a great evening here. A delicious meal as you would expect from a Brunning and Price Restaurant in great, relaxed surroundings and lovely staff. Could not fault it.. Will be back next time we are in Chester

1  Thank Oram-Adams
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I've been looking at "The Architect" ever since it opened this summer, overlooking the Racecourse, and at last have enjoyed a meal there. Having read the previous critiques of the restaurant and knowing one of the reviewers, I was fairly certain that we wouldn't be disappointed, and that turned out to be the case. We ate early, below the bar, and were (foolishly) surprised to discover how busy it was at 6.45 pm. Then we realised that many of the clients had come straight from work for a drink.

So, from the start, the service was excellent - we couldn't fault it other than an order for one medium and one large glass of wine came as two mediums!! This would have been changed immediately had I not decided that it was all to the good for my health. The orders were taken efficiently and by a waiter with a good sense of humour. I ordered the braised lamb which melted in the mouth. The carrots were a little too soft but full of flavour, and the juice in which the lamb had been cooked was to die for. My partner had the hake with a red-wine sauce. Aside from not liking spinach (I did), her meal was delicious. Both meals were served on hot plates (always worth a star to me). At the end of the meal, we were not hurried, and a taxi willingly ordered. The cost including three glasses of wine (no, not for me) was £45.00. I know you could eat for a lot less, but not beat the overall experience.

Our only problem was the noise level. We were having to shout to hear each other at times, but we now know that quieter areas can be booked (N.B) and this we will do when we return, which is a certainty.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

Having not been able to get to the Architect to eat since it opened, I managed to do so twice in one week recently, the first being a Sunday lunch with a large group of about 20 people, and the second being a weekday evening meal with five people.

Whether you are eating or not, it is clear from when you first step into the Architect that the decor is absolutely spot on. It is decorated superbly and provides fantastic outdoor seating areas overlooking the racecourse during summer, and a warm, cost and friendly atmosphere in colder weather. I only hoped that the food did justice to the setting.

Fortunately, it did. Make no mistake that this is essentially pub food in terms of the selection, but it is very, very good pub food. The steak and ale suet pudding that I had might be the best example I have ever tasted of this dish; it was so good that I ordered it both times we ate there. Portion sizes were good, and the food overall was very good value for money bearing in mind the relatively modest cost. In fact, over the two meals not a single person in either group was anything but complimentary about their food.

To round this off the service on both occasions was efficient and friendly, particularly with the larger group where despite some slow down when the place become busier, we were never left waiting to the point where we noticed any delay.

The Architect really is threatening to become one of Chester's best kept secrets for locals, mainly because despite being within walking distance of the city centre it is a little off the beaten path. But if you're reading this and can go along at some point, do so. I can only recommend what is probably my new favourite local restaurant for comfort food.

TOP TIPS: I actually have three this time. 1) Parking is limited, so if you're going at busier times (i.e. evenings or weekends) consider parking at one of the two car parks further down Nicholas Street and walking, particularly in the afternoons/evenings when they are free. 2) The place does fill up for Sunday lunch, so get there at about 12pm to ensure that you get a table. 3) There are some tables where food is served to the left of the entrance which are quite close to the bar, and therefore a little noisier than the dedicated areas for eating. It's by no means excessively loud, but if you're looking for a quieter meal make sure you book a table in the dedicated eating areas and not near the bar.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

we dropped in for drinks and possibly to dine.
we didn't dine as the tables were in the main, messy , cleared however not cleaned,pretty basic stuff really.
we waited over 15 mins from ordering a coffee to it being served.....and asking for the table to be wiped clean of the food.
it was wiped with something called a cloth - not anything that would clean the table, and nothing that would give confidence it was clean!
the staff may be pleasant, but are slow, & sloppy.

1  Thank Suzi197