“Brilliant little cafe!”

Cafe At The Walls
Ranked #76 of 564 Restaurants in Chester
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch
Description: WE MIGHT BE TINY BUT OUR FOOD IS MIGHTYFamily run coffee shop, situated next to Chester's historic walls. Close to the River Dee and Chester race course. Home cooked meals are also available with a daily specials board. Soup of the day is served with a hot crusty roll and butterServing traditional afternoon teas and cream teas and a wide selection of home baked cakes.We also serve an all day full english breakfast as well as a wide variety of breakfast baps, to eat in or take out. Picnic lunch deals available, along with a variety of sandwich's, panini's and baguettes, freshly made to order. A range of coffees and teas. Don't see something on the menu, just ask, we will do our best to accomodate your requests.WE KNOW ACCEPT CARD PAYMENTS
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Brilliant atmosphere! Popped in for a sandwich and a drink and was very pleased with the service and the food was first rate! Highly recommended!

I have to add, these reviews giving negative feedback, I really don't know where they get it from!

claireeee_12, Owner at Cafe At The Walls, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

thankyou for your lovely review, glad you enjoyed us, hope to see you again soon

There are newer reviews for Cafe At The Walls

Reviewed November 27, 2013

We went into here last week for a light lunch. I do not mind plastic table cloths in cheap eateries, but it is a bit of a shame that they were in such bad condition that the pattern was partly worn away.

Preparation of the food took quite a while, but luckily we were not in a rush. Food was not too bad, but I had to look hard to find any meat in my steak, mushroom and onion baguette (three pieces about 2 inches by half an inch very thin meat) and there was not much mushroom or onion either. The minted lamb baguette looked better.

The towel in the very cramped toilet was completely grey with dirt - luckily I had a tissue to dry my hands with, but I wondered how the staff dry their hands!

As we were visiting on an offer, we gave a fairly generous tip, but had no thanks whatsoever, not even a smile. The tip was just put into the tub on the counter with a very sullen face.

As we were leaving I did mention, very quietly, that if she was going to use towels in the toilet it might be an idea to make sure they were clean - thinking I was giving a bit of advice to someone trying to make money from a business. I was amazed at the response. She said, 'It was clean this morning', in an extrememly loud and rude voice, making no attempt to go and see the state of it. My floorcloths are cleaner than that was.

Oh well, obviously a bad day!!!

12  Thank TringWirral_England

my table cloths are not cheap plastic worn or faded. the baguettes are known for there generous fillings, you did not have an issue with these on the day. you told me about towel, which i said eas s fesh one that morning snd i would go and check it, which i did as soon as you left. i thanked you for yout £1 tip when you were talking to me. i was neither rude or sullen, this is not in my chsracter.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

We called into this cafe on a rainy day 12th october whilst walking the walls. The place is spotless and clean, very helpful staff with great service.

You can relax after the walk and enjoy the soup and sandwich deal, home made soup and sandwich of your choice, must be one of the best cafe i have been in they don't come much better then this.

It was a great surprise and i would fully recommend you pay it a visit

1  Thank ragitash
claireeee_12, Owner at Cafe At The Walls, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Thank you for your kind review. the soup is indeed homemade as are all the sandwich fillings, hot lunches and pies and cakes. we hope to see you againsoon.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

I wandered in here with a friend on the day of the Chester marathon, post night out. We were in hunt of good coffee and a decent bacon bap. Was not disappointed! Goooooood coffee, and decent bacon bap. Sorted.

Having just moved to Chester and the days I have spent walking round with my kids thinking... 'I am going to need to earn ALOT more money to live here'. I was beginning to spot a few little places up until now, which could be nicely slotted (price wise) in the middle of a scale that only ever started at 'maybe once a month', right up to 'Holy mother, how much!?'. With the alarming rate my children ask if they can go in most places we encounter, I have actually now found the holy grail with this little cafe along with a free pass for my pride. I can actually say yes to them as a regular thing here!

I could take my kids weekly after school on a Friday as a cakey treat, brekkie on a Saturday or lazy Sunday.

A Lovely, homely atmosphere with lots of choice on the menu. A delicious looking cake selection. And the actual best coffee in Chester. I have seen many signs claiming this, and only here have I found it to be true. I shall return!

3  Thank mecca_17
claireeee_12, Owner at Cafe At The Walls, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

hi there, firstly, welcome to chester, thanks for your great review. we pride ourselves on good quality home cooked food at reasonable prices. you and your family are welcome anytime. we do some fab milkshakes if you really want to treat your children!! hope to see you again soon :)

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I've had a lot of cappuccino's over the years, but this little cafe served one of the best. My husband said his cup of tea was really nice too. We also ordered breakfast baps and cake. The food was fresh and tasty. Good value and very friendly little cafe. A great stop off point when walking the city walls.
A big bonus for us - we were able to take our two little dogs inside with us. Much better than having to sit outside on a chilly and showery day.

2  Thank HollieHamster
claireeee_12, Owner at Cafe At The Walls, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Hi, thanks for your review, so glad you enjoyed us, we are indeed dog friendly and yours were very well behaved and welcome anytime as of course you and your husband are :)
All our food is prepared to order and we always use quality meats, eggs, veg and salad etc, sourced as locally as possible. Hope to see you again :)