“Things that go 'yawn' in the night!”
Review of The Chester Tour

The Chester Tour
Ranked #3 of 21 Tours in Chester
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: All tours are led by fully qualified Blue and Green Badge Guides.A guided tour of Chester is the best way of seeing the city and there is a tour at 10.30am every day of the year. Tours generally last for approx 1.5 hrs so even if you are in Chester for a few hours make the most of your time here and let one of our experienced guides show you all the highlights of this beautiful city. A variety of sightseeing tours and themed walks are available all year round for both groups and individual visitors. Public tours run daily throughout the year (some tours are seasonal and availability should be checked prior to arrival). All tours are available all year round to private parties and groups but must be pre-booked.
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from the Chester Ghost Tours with my other half and my brother who I have come up to visit.

The poster shows a great view looking across the east gate bridge at night setting the scene for a scary tour. Christine our guide dressed in a black velvet gown with black umbrella looking the part. The tour doesn't even go up on the bridge let alone talk about it, you don't even touch the roman walls and stand well away from all the buildings that are talked about.

This is the most un-interesting and factless tour I have been on, and wish I gave my £8 to the juggling man who needed the money.

Reading from cue cards to back up her facts, stories with no enthusiasm, and people deciding to walk off half way through because it was frustrating for them. Each story came across as though it was being made up as she went along, stuttering and pausing. It became obvious that everyone felt the same. What have we paid for here. Trying to point out a wooden grave up high in St Johns church but a weak torch that couldn't reach it.

The stories miss key information that is well known and is more a basic history lesson with someone dying thrown in to make it relate slightly.

I am so disappointed with this tour and really would think twice about spending £8 on this.

2  Thank Stu_Med

Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

I have been on many tours of different towns across the UK however this is worst Ghost Tour I have ever been on!

This was not a ghost tour and every story was of unrequited love and suicide.

One couple left the group part way through and many complained amongst themselves about the quality of the guide's ability to share the history and knowledge of Chester's more infamous ghosts.

A real disappointment.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

I joined one of these tours last Wednesday morning - had a great time and would recommend it to anyone. I've been round Chester before but still learned lots. The guide was very knowledgeable and seemed to have an endless store of anecdotes about the city, its people and its buildings. She showed us hidden treasures that even most locals probably don't know about. One of the other ladies in the group had brought her grandchildren on their Ghost Tour last year and said they all loved it, so that's next on my list, hopefully for Halloween if there's a walk then.

2  Thank Rambler587
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I went on a Chester “Daily Walking Tour” starting at 10:30am on Tuesday, 13th August, (cost £6 or concession £5) with a group of people led by a senior resident of Chester, who was a wealth of information. We started at the Town Hall (Tourist Visitors Information Centre) where firstly, he explained the history of the Town Hall and the wonderful sculpture out front, then into the grounds of Chester Cathedral, where he pointed out interesting historical features; through ”The Rows” shopping walkways; past the beautiful Chester Grosvenor Hotel; over Eastgate, advising the history of the Clock, along the old Roman Walls to the amphitheatre; along the walls to Bridgegate and beyond; past St Olave’s old Viking church finally ending up back at the Tourist Visitors Information Centre to Chester. The tour went for approx. 1½ hours, which included time for photos. I loved it as it is an excellent introduction to Chester. I highly recommend this walking tour.

1  Thank Ross-Lyn B
Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

This was a great introduction to the city. Lets face it, you can't learn all of Chester's history in just over 90 minutes in foot.
What we got was a very interesting taste and plenty of ideas for futher exploration.
The guide was knowledgable and had an engaging manner.
The walk was at an easy pace with more standing than walking. I would guess less than a mile.
Well worth the cost.