“Tasty Food”

Ranked #417 of 569 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Rose Garden is just the place to sit and enjoy a break from it all while still being just a 2 minute walk from the main shopping area, and the City Walls have steps straight down into our lovely Courtyard.
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

We visited the Rose Garden to use the Living Social afternoon tea voucher - thanks to Facebook and email we were aware the business had been closed due to the weather and the owner offered to extend the voucher if we couldn't use it before the expiry date.

The good points:
1. Location is good.
2. Service was prompt.
3, Food was tasty - not necessarily homemade, but still good. The sandwiches were fresh, the quiche, scones and cakes looked and tasted shop bought rather than homemade.

The not so good:
1. The place was filthy - we had to wipe clean everything that was given to us. Tea cups and saucers, plate, cutlery / even the table! All looked like they hadn't been washed since the last time they were used!
2. The pages of the menu were stuck together due to food and drink being spilt on them.
3. There was no atmosphere - there was only 1 other table in use at any one time, and sport on the radio did nothing for the ambience.
4. The cream and jam for the scones was poorly presented - clearly left over and topped up from the last use rather than freshly decanted.

Given the variety of eateries in Chester, the Rose Garden needs to put a bit more effort in. This was a good offer, and even at full price the afternoon tea is value for money, but cleanliness is a vital ingredient which was seriously lacking on our visit.

3  Thank debs25
flossy50, Owner at The Rose Garden, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

I am glad you enjoyed the food, I can assure you that all the food (except the bread) is homemade by me.

I can only apologise for the cleanliness and will be speaking to the staff regarding this. I am awaiting a fresh delivery of menus

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Along with other contributers I was unable to use the voucher purchased from LivingSocial. I also rang on numerous occassions usually to be greeted by 'the person you are calling is unavailable and their voicemail is full'. On the 1 occassion that the phone was personally answered I was informed that on my chosen date the restaurant was fully booked. I was visiting Chester on the day so decided to visit the Rose Garden to book another slot - what did I find? it was closed! so much for it being fully booked!
I had told the owner that I wanted to redeem a voucher - did that impact on the incorrect information, is it a scam and they do not honour any voucher?
I have contacted LivingSocial to request a refund, as yet no response, another scam!!?

4  Thank kmunro28
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Having been given a voucher as past of our xmas present by our daughter it took me several days of constant telephoning to eventually get to speak to someone. Our first choice date was "fully booked" so we settled on 24th January. On arrival the cafe was shut with a sign to say it would be closed on 18th Jan due to the snow. By the 24th there was very little snow left in the Chester area so this was not a valid excuse. I suspect that the owner has discovered that the price she was charging would mean working at a loss.....however she may have generated much repeat business if her afternoon tea was good....we will never know as I have asked my daughter to claim a refund from Living Social. Does anyone know if the cafe owner makes any money from unclaimed tokens as other people who turned up at the same time as us seemed to think it may be a scam?

5  Thank cheshirecat11
flossy50, Owner at The Rose Garden, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2013

Whilst there may not have been snow in chester but there certainly was in my village 35 miles away! The closure was updated daily on our facebook and twitter feeds. We are coming to the end of the living cial deal and were therefore fully booked most days people were trying to redeem their vouchers before it expired. It is certainly not a scam and I have redeemed the majority of the 900 vouchers sold. Those affected by the closure last week have been offered to rebook, as you were on the sign on the door. Had you contacted me we could have accomodated you at a later dat

Reviewed January 25, 2013

No answer from over ONE HUNDRED phone calls. Messages always full. Tried to get afternoon tea by calling before Christmas. When the lady arrived (after 1pm) she wouldnt let us book for later that day. She gave me an email address to book. I emailed a week ago to book - no reply so we turned up on the date I asked for. Shop shut and had been for a week. WHY DIDNT I GET EMAIL EXPLAINING THIS? NO EXCUSE FOR SUCH BEHAVIOUR! I feel I have been conned out of my money. Those people who went and supposedly had a good time - HOW ON EARTH DID YOU GET THROUGH BY PHONE OR EMAIL? SEEMS MIGHTY FISHY TO ME AS THIS WOMAN IS A REGULAR PIMPERNEL. MAR

4  Thank Michael R
flossy50, Owner at The Rose Garden, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2013

I am at a loss to how to respond to your comments. You would have been turned away if you arrived without a booking as all produce is made fresh each morning and I would have therefore been unable to provoide the food on offer. As for an email this week I have replied to every one received and have a list of provisional bookings ready for when the weather improves. I have no email from you and hewnce didnot reply.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

This prompt review is meant to warn Living Social voucher-holders that they could be wasting time and money travelling to Chester to redeem their 'Afternoon Tea for Two' vouchers.
This tea room has been closed completely for five days since close of business Thursday 17th January.
There is nothing on their website that says they are closed.
I booked a table a week ago for 2.30 pm today, Tuesday 22nd January. On arrival,everything was locked up, and the hand-written note in the window warned that they would not open on Friday 18th January if the forecast heavy snows arrived, and asked Living Social voucher holders to re-book by phone!
There have been no snowfalls since the previous reviewer wrote of his visit (Saturday) and everywhere else is open. I called their phone, but got the usual full-voicebox message.
A 30-mile round trip for no purpose whatsoever! I gave this business the benefit of the doubt but now hope they fold completely and stop messing people around.
Living Social helpline have promised me a refund. I will certainly never visit this place again.

5  Thank per41pp
flossy50, Owner at The Rose Garden, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Unfortunately I have been snowed in at home since last friday - I live almost 40 miles from chester. This information is posted on our facebook and twitter feeds and living social were informed. I do not have the facility to update my website daily. There is also a sign in the tearoom advising we were likely to be closed and offering to honour vouchers at a later date. You could also have emailed to check we were open.

Whilst you had a wasted trip I think its a little unfair hoping that I go out of business, after all I am not responsible for the weather conditions