“Great food, good prices, would return.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Belly Full Restaurant & Bar - CLOSED

Belly Full Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: Caribbean, Jamaican, Spanish
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Mold, United Kingdom
“Great food, good prices, would return.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

My boyfriend and I had dinner here on Sunday evening just past and thoroughly enjoyed every morsel, including the cocktails. We ordered from the tapas menu which was great value for money. We had the nachos, curried goat, jerk wings and chicken bites, accompanied by sweet potato fries, dumplings and flat bread. Everything was very tasty, especially the curried goat and the nachos. The cocktails were pretty good considering how cheap they were (2 for 1). The service was the good side of average, but could have been more friendly, although saying that everything was brought promptly, it just lacked warmth. And the only gripe really is that the table was slightly sticky..... needed a warm soapy cloth. Other than that we would definitely go back.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Gail M

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Plenty of Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

A large group of us visited here on a Saturday night. In contrast to a lot of reviews on here, we actually found the service to be very good with quickly served food and drink, and them getting us anything else we needed speedily. We had the nachos to start which were excellent, maybe the best I've ever had, followed by the 999. This is a sharing platter and definitely for lovers of meat, it includes 9 wings, 9 ribs and 9 chicken bites and garlic bread for £10 each. They also have a lengthy cocktail menu. A great restaurant with plenty of food.

• Visited February 2014
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Good but beware”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

We dined here on a Saturday evening, as we have never tried Caribbean we decided to give it a try, the food was very good, starters were excellent and a good night was had by all, the owner/chef Matt was very chatty and friendly until ..... This is where it it leaves a bitter taste, we went to the bar to pay, I gave the receipt a quick glance and noticed they had added 4 pints of coke and 2 spirits onto the bill (£15 in total) now I don't like to be cynical and like to see good in people but after realising they were trying to pull a fast one on us, I queried the bill, he admitted straight away that he knew that we hadn't had those extra items, we feel that they are opportunists and if they think they can get away with it they will do, what a pity more fool them.

Alcester, United Kingdom
“Good feed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

This is a cool place, reasonably priced with really nice food. We went late on a Saturday night and shared nachos to start (which were excellent), I had the curried goat while my girlfriend had belly pork. The portions were big and we both felt very content after we'd eaten. Really tasty.

My only gripe with the place is that we didn't feel particularly welcome when we first arrived as one member of staff was more keen on moaning at another for not doing enough work rather than serving us. Hardly a cheery welcome. That being said he probably did have a point. She wasn't particularly interested in working - busy talking with some people at the bar instead - and she also left our drinks sitting at the bar while she continued said conversation. It was only a minor blip but something we picked up on and as it was our first impressions of the place it stuck. Our waitress once we were seated was excellent and really attentive.

Definitely recommend this place but don't expect a 5 star welcome!

• Visited January 2014
Alcester, United Kingdom
“Belly Full of tasty food, but remember service is as important!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

My fiance and I have just returned from a lovely weekend in Chester. We passed Belly Full on our way to the train station and it looked really nice inside so we made a mental note to return there for our evening meal.

Now, I recently heard something on a TV advert for some cheffy programme that said: "service is as important - if not more important - than the food itself". Having eaten at Belly Full, I completely agree. You see, while the food itself was really very delicious, the service was hit and miss and despite that I really enjoyed my meal, I couldn't help but feel on edge throughout our visit.

When we entered the restaurant, we went up to the bar and waited to be acknowledged by a member of staff. This took a few minutes, as a barman (presumably the supervisor) was in the middle of giving one of his barmaids a telling off for wandering away from the bar. Sorry, but I don't think it's very professional to do this in front of customers!

We were eventually shown to a table (that was not dressed and ready for us, despite the fact we had booked and were on time) and ordered drinks from a very nice, chatty young girl. She gave our order to the barmaid and resumed her duties singlehandedly serving the other customers in the fairly busy dining area. The barmaid who had been told off poured the drinks, but - resolutely doing exactly as her manager had told her to do - stayed glued to the bar, and didn't tell the waitress they were there either. Consequently, our drinks were left sitting on the bar for about 10 minutes until we had to guiltily interrupt our waitress and ask her to bring them over.

This complaint may sound a little petty, but I mention it because quite a few other reviews have also highlighted this problem with drinks staying on the bar for far longer than they should have. In fact, another couple experienced the same on the very same night we were there. It's not a big restaurant at all so I don't understand the manager's insistence that bar staff should stay on the bar and waiting staff should stay on the tables. If the waiting staff are busy, the bar staff could very easily bring drinks over to the tables in a matter of seconds if necessary!

A couple of other niggly things regarding the service...A couple at a table next to us complained when their main courses were brought out to them while they were still eating their starters. The chef himself came out to them to apologise and they ended up all having a jolly good laugh together, but still - it isn't hard to coordinate orders, surely? It also kind of annoyed me that our food was delivered before we had any cutlery to eat with, so again we were left waiting with our food going cold while the waitress went to find knives and forks.

Before I start sounding like a grumpy old woman, I should end on a positive note. Despite the rather disorganised service, the food, as mentioned, was absolutely delicious. We shared a huge and very tasty plate of Carribean nachos for two, and then instantly regretted the decision to have a starter when our main courses came up - a massive helping of curry goat with rice 'n' peas for my partner, and for me, the biggest two fat slabs of Jerk belly pork I have ever seen - even the waitress joked that the chef must have been in a good mood!

I wish I could give a rating of 3.5 for this restaurant - 3 seems a little too mean, but given the service I don't think I can realistically give 4 stars. All in all, if you want to try Caribbean food, then Belly Full is a great place to do it - just don't have high expectations for the service as although mostly friendly, it's disorganised, and I suspect, not brilliantly managed.

• Visited January 2014