“Don't spill your drink whatever you do!!!!”
Review of Cheshire Cat Hotel

and 1 more site!
Cheshire Cat Hotel
Ranked #25 of 79 Chester B&B and Inns
wolverhampton
“Don't spill your drink whatever you do!!!!”
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

We didnt stop for anything to eat in the end as although it all looks really fancy the atmosphere - in my opinion - was not at all welcoming and the waiting staff were not at all friendly.

I accidentally knocked my drink over when we sat down to look at the menu (a total accident, I am a grown woman and am aware of how to behave in public however it was an ACCIDENT and I only really drenched myself in diet Pepsi not anyone else!). The waiter came over and I asked for a cloth (to wipe it up myself I must add) and he looked and behaved as though I had just spat out their over priced steak at the other guests!!! I would not go here again and I'm just so glad I didn't have my children with me as I can just imagine how the waiter would have nearly fainted if they started chewing on the ice served with the drinks!!!!

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2013

we stayed in a hotel just down the road from the Cheshire cat, little did we know how nice the pub was. With these new phones you can"browse" the area around you and the Cheshire Cat was shown as being half a mile away from where we were stopping.
A nice walk later reveals a lovely building away from the main road and opposite the canal, step inside and you are greeted with an open fire, plenty of seating and a nice selection of beers,we sampled the bitter "bomber" produced by Thwaites brewery "Very nice".
We booked a table for a meal that night simply on the strength of looking at the menu and we we not dissappointed, we are now in the process of booking a few nights stay in the very near future.

Malcolm & Brenda

1 Thank Malcolm S
Porthcawl, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed for a Thursday and Friday night in April. The reason for our stay was attending a wedding at the nearby Rowton Hall Hotel. We were allocated room 3 (the Cow and Calf) in main building. There are only 5 rooms in the main building all accessed via narrow winding stairs, the rest are in stables/annex at the rear. Our room was big and left very airy with 3 windows and high ceilings. My only complaint is the A41 runs passed the hotel, and as our room didn't have double glazing, I was disturbed during the night by traffic noice. I suspect the stable/annex rooms next to the canal are considerably quieter.

We decided to have an evening meal in the bar. There was a good selection of food and drinks to be had, all reasonably priced. The bar area is cosy divided into smaller "rooms" with a variety of seating - table and chairs plus comfy sofa's etc and open fires. Breakfast is taken in a large bright and airy room at the far end of the bar. We chose to pre book the optional cooked breatfast. We weren't offered a choice (different ways of cooking eggs?) but what we had was very good.

All the staff were happy courteous and helpful. The our room was comfortable and clean. The Cheshire Cat was perfect base for our trip.

Room Tip: If your used to busy roads, request a room out of the main building.
Birmingham
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in April, Friday and Saturday, and absolutely loved it! The food was very well priced and tasty. There is a wide choice where you can choose from some very well done traditional favourites to a more 'upmarket' choice, if that is your thing. The room was very well presented and was clean and comfortable. We especially liked the separation of the ensuite bathroom to the main bedroom and the quirky named room. We stayed in room 5 - The Hedgehog.

The location of the Inn is superb! It is approximately a 10 minute drive to Chester Zoo and is a stone's throw away from the park and ride - which is ideal for getting into the city. I would highly recommend this hotel as the place to stay in Chester, and should we visit Chester again I would definately stay here.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Nice location next to a canal, clean serviceable rooms. Good pub restaurant adjacent, perfect for business or weekend away. If planning a trip to Cheshire Oaks or to look around Chester, then I would recommend the Cheshire Cat.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I stayed here over the Easter weekend and would happily stay here again. Excellent location ...minutes from the motorway and Chester but no disturbance from roads. Beautiful location in terms of scenery with the adjacent Shroppie ( Shropshire Union Canal). My room, in the block that is due to be refurbished, was great. I had plenty of room, very clean, proper bath, very comfortable bed but radiators a bit noisy. Also TV was not really usable as the sound quality was distorted but this was not an issue for me. Suspect the room could suffer from noise in the summer as the bar tables are right by the bedroom windows.
Breakfast was a bit disappointing as I had cooked breakfast - dietary restrictions made the " continental" breakfast a non- starter. The sausages were tasteless and very fatty and the tomatoes were not very nice. The bacon was great though and the staff cheerful and chatty ... good bright start to the day.
I ate here each of my four evenings - generally the food was great but the risotto was disappointing. The chocolate trio of desserts was delicious. Staff were great but message to Vintage Inns ... drop the feedback cards being given with the bill, with the servers name ... felt like I was comparing them against each other and that if one waiter was serving I could not ask another for something. Put the cards on the table and leave it to the diner ... we can always ask for a a superstar's name

Would have been nice to be able to settle single bill for my meals at the end of my stay rather than paying each evening ... restaurant and accommodation not fully joined up ... but again, not a big issue

will definitely stay again ... especially as only12 minutes from Chester Zoo

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Wirral, Merseyside
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We’ve been to this pub quite a few times now and the food has always been very nice as well as very friendly service. The last few times that we have been it’s been pretty cold outside and it is really nice to sit by one of the fires in the pub. There are a few different rooms to choose from to have your meal or just a drink, which is good as it makes a change trying a different room each time we visit. They have a good variety of food to choose from and the desserts are very nice, especially the sticky toffee pudding..

This time I had their homemade beef burger with fries. It was really nice and tasty and the condiments that they have to choose from make it even better. The burger comes with cheese, bacon, lettuce and tomato and it’s really filling. My partner had the fish and chips with mushy peas with tartar sauce on the side which looked like another good hearty meal and so definitely worth the price, which is very reasonable.

On previous occasions we have had the sandwiches which are another good choice and also their hunters chicken and have also had homemade chicken pie which was a special of the day which was another good dish.

Lovely place to go to and I can imagine when the summer comes it’s going to be really popular as there is lots of outdoor seating. After all of the food you have eaten there is a long canal for you to walk along to burn off all of those calories!! I haven’t done it yet but I think you can actually walk into Chester from the pub along the canal.

Definitely recommend a visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple