Pied Bull Inn
$94
$84
$117
$114
Chester House Guest House(Chester)(Great Value!)
$86
$76
Priceline
$95
$92
Orbitz.com
$181
  • Restaurant
All reviewsmicro brewerythe pubbrewery tourdisco lightsfour postercity centre pubolde worldegreat beermarket car parkbeer gardenfull englishfor sunday lunchlots of charactertwin roomshower headmy partnergreat shower
Reviewed February 18, 2013

It's a B&B that charges about £50 for a basic double. That's £25 each for any idiots complaining about a lack of luxury you can't stay in a YMCA for that! The bed was comfortable & there was a Corby Trouser Press which I actually needed for the first time in my life (Hows that for luxury). It is an odd little place but its welcoming and friendly, You would expect to pay £8 in a pub for a breakfast like this so consider the stay in a room works down to about £17 if you exclude the breakfast. It is ASTOUNDING value for money and if ever I'm after a cheeky little cheap break I'll stay here again in a Heartbeat. Centrally Located.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank David F
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We just dropped in for a lunchtime meal and found the bar very pleasant as were the staff.
Nice fish and chips and excellent locally brewed beer - but pay for drinks at the bar and then you can exclaim at the high cost of a glass of lemonade @ £2.95 ..... Surely a lemonade should be cheaper than a pint !

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ron c
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Joan and I chose the Pied Bull for its situation, history and the fact that it has its own brewery. We weren't disappointed by any of these and there were plusses too in the friendly staff and hearty meals.
We arrived by train on Friday night in the midst of a snowstorm which only added to the look of the building and city. The twin room, sans ghosts, was comfortable and clean, the shower almost too powerful. We ate in the bar, and I sampled the real ales on offer, Joan had the wine. The room was almost too warm and I had to turn the heating down during the night. The next morning after the full english we walked the city walls, saw the cathedral and Grosvenor Museum and had a beer in the Boot Inn in Eastgate Street, then sampled the many shops.
Friends drove over from Oswestry and after drinks in the Ship Inn it was back to the Pied Bull for dinner and more drinks of course.
A good night's sleep and a visit to the military museum and finally the train back home to Upminster.
All in all a perfect weekend, seems we should have had one of rooms 6,7 or 8 if we'd wanted a ghostly experience.

Room Tip: A haunted room 6,7 or 8
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank essexdelboy
Reviewed January 31, 2013

One way systems and pedestrian precincts make it difficult to find, but it was worth the effort. The Pied Bull is a really a characterful 'Pub that does rooms ! '
At the price we paid, under £45 for a double room through Bookings.com for Tuesday night in January, including a substantial breakfast it was a gift.
Staff were very helpful and friendly, room was adequate for one night, bathroom was fine.
Parking is a 100 metre walk to multi story which is free from 3 pm till 7 am, and then not expensive after that.
The pub was reasonably busy for a Tuesday, again with friendly staff. Pub prices were similar to London prices. I tried the home brewed beers and found them 'interesting'
We had a late dinner (9.30) at a restaurant within 50 metres 'Chez Jules' that was outstanding.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My friend just recently visited me from Lancaster and I decided to take her on a dinner/drinks night out in Chester. I found the Pied Bull online for a great price and after looking at the pictures of the rooms it looked to have more character than a regular hotel. That is exactly what it turned out to be. Winding corridors and old timey furnishing kind of reminded me of something from Ghost Hunters. Basic room but clean and enough to sleep and shower. Staff were friendly and helpful, even carrying our bags up to our rooms personally. It is located right in the centre of town so it made our night more enjoyable and convenient, especially on these cold winter nights. Would recommend The Pied Bull for something different, for character and location but do not expect luxury.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends