“very poor - stay elsewhere”
Review of Pied Bull Inn

Pied Bull Inn
Ranked #11 of 76 Chester B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 9, 2011

Only stay at the Pied Bull if your standards are as low as theirs.

Apart from being an interesting building in good location, there are no positives. The service was terrible, the room a shabby dissapointment, the price a rip-off and it was obvious that nobody cared.

From check-in by a poor kid with no training, to paying more that the rate being hawked outside because we had booked, to paying another ten pounds to park in an uncovered, unsecured yard with the bins and waiting over half an hour for breakfast when in a hurry, the whole experience was a low-grade rip-off.

The place promotes itself on the historic building and a panelled room with four-poster bed, but unless you pay even more for that, you get a tired room near the kitchen extractors and treatment that veers from obsessively drachonian (signing a H&S and guest behaviour policy, paying in advance and the number of notes in the room folder about what you can't do and when and the punishment for not returning their precious TV remote control) to low-grade ignoring (see yourself up to your room, wait at the bar, wait for breakfast when you have explained that you are in a hurry).

As is too often the case, the place and what it offers are oversold and the delivery so far from adequate that it is a joke. Don't stay there, they won't care.

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Riley088

Reviewed March 23, 2011

Did not stay overnight here so can not comment on that. But did have meal and drinks.young lad serving was very friendly, helpful and professional. Meal was lovely, best we had eaten in Chester having arrived 4 days earlier.great selection of real ales , will visit next time in Chester definitely !!

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank imp3095
Reviewed February 8, 2011

I did not stay at this hotel just dropped in for a drink one Saturday evening quite early.My order at the bar was 'a dry white wine and a house red please, small size'. This came to £7.00...fine so far...Thirty minutes later I returned to the bar for a further drink and ordered it in exactly the same way as the first time only this time to a different member of staff.This time it came to £7.45.When I queried this I was spoken to in a most patronising way that they serve different reds and this was a Merlot.I explained that at no time had I asked for a specific wine Just a house red and a dry white.Thinking I'm not getting anywhere with this I returned to my seat.A few moments later a man appeared at my shoulder and butted straight into a conversation my wfe and I were having.He said 'I am the landlord-you've upset my staff drink your drink and leave-you are not welcome here and don't come back'.This shocked us a great deal,I have never been asked to leave any establishment before.Reading a number of reviews on here it seems my experience at this pub is not on its own.If this man was the landlord I can assume his name to be Carl J Scourfield, that is the name above the front door.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank jangeo1
Reviewed December 25, 2010

We stayed at the Pied Bull earlier in December and had a great time.
Positives:
Location - central, easy to get to/from
Room Size - very impressive with Sky TV
Great breakfast the next morning
Leaving bags behind the counter
Negatives:
Not the most friendliest staff behind the counters
Freezing cold rooms...but they did help up to rectify this.
Would recommend still!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 20, 2010

I stayed at the hotel with my Mum and two friends for our annual Xmas shopping / drinking weekend and had a lovely stay. The staff were friendlly and helpful, the room clean and warm and the breakfast delicious. All round great value for money in a fabulous location !!! Looking forward to booking for next year.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank bikerbigbird
Reviewed December 15, 2010

The room was a basic 1 star affair and nothing like the olde wordle ones as shown on the website , they also took £100 off my debit card because I had a small cut and it came off on an old bedsheet , they charged £10 for parking when parking was free across the road - Its a family business - and so they call the shots

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank nsaul
Reviewed December 14, 2010

Found The Pied Bull disappointing but probably because we stayed on a Sunday night.
Waitress disappeared never to return to take our main courses away; by the time we went to the bar to order a desert, told that no-one was in the kitchen (approx 21:15hrs). No decaff coffee available.
The worst aspect was eating in the restaurant area very close to drinkers, many of whom used many F & C words with my wife only a few feet away as we were eating. No member of staff seemed bothered by loud swearing and it put us off considerably. Would not consider returning.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple