“Not given chance to try the restaurant”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chester
Frogg Manor Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #35 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Toulouse, France
“Not given chance to try the restaurant”
Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

Tried to make a reservation fir 6 people to celebrate friends recent wedding and spoke to an extremely rude man who refused to take my booking after I explained I had a tastecard. The website says Saturdays are the only day exempt from this offer (I wanted a Sunday booking). He gave me no reason other than 'can't accept that booking'.
I was very disappointed with this attitude and cannot recommend the restaurant as I wasn't given the opportunity to try it out.

Stayed August 2012
6 Thank EE1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Just back from a one night stay with Dinner at Frogg Manor. Having stayed here a year or so ago with colleagues from work I thought it would be a real treat for my husbands birthday.I also thought I would be adding to the many positive reviews for this establishment.
We stayed in the Bronte room which was as a little more worn than I thought it would be there were lots of dead insects in the lights and on the window sills. However the room was comfortable. Although there were a few other guests dining we were the only guests staying over. I cant say we were blown away by the food in the restaurant. The starter was quite differant to how it was described on the menu (Mushrooms) the main course was average but vegetables were not hot.. After dinner we retired to the lounge for coffee I asked for drinks from the bar only to be told they had run out? I was told having had a large party in the previous night there was no Bailey's or Amaretto left. The owners and staff were sat in the bar with the door closed we felt quite awkward and so soon went off to bed. Breakfast was ok but again nothing special we were not even wished a goodbye but simply told to leave the keys in the back of the door were we had found them.
I don't think this hotel offers good value for money and will not be staying here again!!!
I think they need to spend some time and money on this place if its to survive.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank L M
Conwy, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2012

You have to go, Great dood, first class company. What a laugh. The Tree House is great fun.
Do yourself a favour and go have some fun, you'll be glad you did.

Market Drayton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant! Having driven past the hotel so many times, we finally took the plunge and booked a room and dinner for my birthday treat. And what a treat it was... The hotel itself is an extension of John's personality - highly individual and up for anything. The food was exquisite, beautifully presented and right up there with the best I've ever eaten. The evening's entertainment - music, conversation and hilariously good company - was both unexpected and delightful. I can highly recommend Frogg Manor to anyone wanting an extraordinarily amazing experience.

Room Tip: We'll definitely book the Tree House next time - it looks like something out of a children's...
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2012

My partner wanted to visit as we have driven passed many times so we decided what the heck and we were so pleased we have. If you want a relaxing yet somewhat surreal experience Frogg Manor is the place. John is an amazingly eccentric character but he makes you feel very welcome in his home. The food although a little expensive is worth every penny we dined like kings on saturday night. A big thank you to John and his staff and we will see you again soon!!!

1 Thank julesandlee
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I could feel everyone in the car thinking "what have you done?" as we drove up to the hotel, and quite frankly, I was in two minds whether to just turn around and head for the safety of a sterile, boil in the bag Italian chain restaurant in nearby Chester .I am so glad I didn't! Eccentric? yes, odd? yes, enjoyable? yes, food? superb! Not everyone's cup of tea, but an experience well worth the effort and a thoroughly enjoyable evening. We will certainly return!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Dalestreet
liverpool
Reviewed May 26, 2012

On arriving at the Frogg manor, we were met by John, the owner, i can honestly say i have never met anyone like him before. At first we all thought he was quite rude in his manner, but the more we spoke to him, it was just his way. We actually found him and his wife Charlie a lovely couple. Yes ,very eccecntric, and you either like or dont like him. We actually took to them both. We stayed for one night and i can honestly say i have never had an experience like it in any other hotel, and i have stayed in a lot. The hotel reminds you of a museum with lots of memorebelia around. The beds were the comfiest ive ever slept in.The llnen was fresh and the towels were white and soft.

We didnt eat in the resturant as John had had an operation and was feeling a bit rough, but on our return he still managed to put a disco on for us . There was 5 of us at the disco which was funny but John and Chalie had great music and made us feel totally at home.I would only go and stay her if you are open minded, because you will have really weird experience, in a nice way though.

I would definatly return and would look forward to seein John and Cahrlie again. Thankyou Frogg Manner for a wonderful but unusual stay.

Room Tip: dont book a room at the front of the hotel, its a main road and very noisy.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends