“A stay here should be on your bucket list”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chester
Frogg Manor Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #35 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“A stay here should be on your bucket list”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

What can I say this is without the quirkiest place I’ve ever been, having seen it advertised on late rooms at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon at a bargain price we took a quick look at the website http://www.froggmanorhotel.co.uk and decided to give it a go and booked to stay that very evening. As we pulled up outside my initial thoughts were OMG! what have I done and they didn’t improve as I stepped though the big red door in to the reception area which was chaotic to say the least, We were greeted by the owner were payment was agreed and shown to our room the Sherlock Holmes Suite quite possibly the strangest room I’ve ever slept in but instantly comfortable and weirdly wonderful. We quickly unpacked and went to check out the bar. There does not seem to be anywhere that does not have something weird a wonderfully strange to look at from wooded African carved frogs to cuddly stuffed animals in masks. Every room is packed with different things to draw your attention and the 30s and 40s music being played just somehow make this place a wonderful experience that I would highly recommend but be warned you will need an open mind and if you’re looking for a super clean dust free controlled environment that the travel lodges and big chain hotels pitch on TV then The Frog Manor Hotel is not for you. We also booked to Eat in the hotel restaurant and although it is quite pricey the food was amazing both my wife and I had the Fillet Dipped in Crushed Black Peppercorns as a main cooked to perfection it melted in the mouth, I had the Steamed Black Pudding “Winston Churchill Style” and my wife the Salmon in filo pasty which she told me was amazing, told me as I didn’t even get the chance of a taste as she enjoyed it so much, and then a fantastic cheese board and a glass of port all of which was exceptional. We then returned to the comfort of the lounge with roaring fire and comfy chairs for more after diner drinks before going on to the Bar and Dance floor with big video screen and a great selection of music from the 70’ & 80’ where were rocked the night away to the early hours, breakfast was pre ordered the night before for a time that was acceptable to us in this case 10am most acceptable. The entire experience of the Frog Manor Hotel & Restaurant was brilliant and we look forward to a return later in the year when budget will allow.

Room Tip: Look at there webiste every room is different and amazing.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank soscom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
PJSmart
Reviewed January 27, 2012

We are fortunate enough to live fairly close to Frogg Manor, and have enjoyed the hospitality three times so far, and EACH time, the food has been excellent, and I can't stress enough...excellent. If you like steak, particularly steak that is always cooked exactly as you order it, and is so tender there is no need for a steak knife, you'll enjoy yourself here.

The rest of the experience really does depend on whether you 'get it' or not, and how open minded you are about what constitutes a good night out. Yes, the décor could be classed as shabby, but could equally as well (and possibly more fittingly) be described as cosy. It's shabby, quirky, some might say quintessentially English.

The last visit (two days ago) I took a fairly open minded couple of American friends, and they adored it, because of the stereotypical view of 'Olde England'. The owner/chef John went out of his way, in all manner of ways, to make our evening pleasant, and he succeeded.

To quote my American friend, 'that is not only the best meal I have ever eaten in England, it may just be in the top three or four meals I have ever eaten anywhere'.

If you want a spotless, soulless gin palace - please don't go. If you want a unique atmosphere, and stunning food, knock yourself out.

Room Tip: The tree house, just book the tree house.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank PJSmart
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2012

A heavenly review - literally! I treated my husband to a stay in the Guinevere Suite (Tree House) for his birthday. What an experience! The sumptuosly furnished suite took our breath away. When you have finished admiring all the nooks and crannies and beautiful decor. had your fill of the huge widescreen T.V. and other entertainment features, you can lie on the huge bed, switch off the lights and be transported to Heaven via the solar system projector which literally turns the ceiling into the milky way - wow!!! If it hadn't been for the lure of John's wonderful food and the chance to dance into the wee small hours, we could happily have spent all our time in the tree house. Another unforgettable experience from our favourite hotel. Thanks,
John!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2012

We have been several times and it is consistent to say the least. Food is good - quite normal but served with a portion of "mad". Not quite sure how to put my finger on it. I do not protest or complain, and I would not want it to change. You sit there wondering who all the other customers are. A one off that must be tried. An annual occasion for me. We have stayed in the log cabin in the garden. Over priced and pretty shabby but again, you sort of expect it. We will be back!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Smallcar
The City of Aston!
Reviewed January 4, 2012

In 2010 I had Christmas lunch here with a family group of around 12. We had a wonderful day. Looked after and fed like lords, and happy to a man. Christmas Day at Frogg Manor is not cheap, but it isn't wherever you may go.
It was good enough for us to feel we had to do it again in 2011 - and we didn't regret it. If you have problems with eccentricity, then you should not go, but if you value real character you have to try it!

Room Tip: See the website. You will not be disappointed. They have some celebrity regulars!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2011

This place is fantastic, the rooms and decoration are charming, funny and exciting. Its a real treat to come to this place. The food is lovely - some dishes are excellent while others are well worth the money. The owner is very hands on and gives you a lot of time - he is full of stories and has a great sense of humour. As for people complaining about dust, grime and cob webs - and the accompanying photos - its not claiming to be 5 star luxury so get over it. I have stayed in some of the best hotels in the UK and never right reviews but feel so strongly about this I felt I had to. To conclude, go there if you want fun, good food, antique / boutique looking bedrooms and lounge areas - if you want a Holiday Inn, clinical looking atmosphere if robot acting staff do not. I loved it and will be staying there and eating there as often as I can! Well done Frogg Manor!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Ben S
Liverpool
Reviewed November 19, 2011

Like some reviews state - you either “get it” or you don’t. Like the owner would say himself “not for all tastes”. If you are after 5 star pristine surroundings then you need to look for ‘the norm’ with ‘stepford’ staff - elsewhere!

We love it and experience the eccentric madness and relaxation at least 3 times a year - Valentines is a must and we always book in for birthdays/anniversaries etc.

Saturdays with the disco are good and midweek you can enjoy the same food in a quieter setting with lots of special offers. Food is wonderful and we have only experienced fabulous meals on every single occasion. You don’t have to spend a fortune on drinks as the house wines are just fine.

Quirky, eccentric, 30’s amazing place with lots of character and 'frogs'. We find John and Charlee are lovely friendly people, a very nice couple who will welcome you not just to the ‘Manor’ but into their home.

The ‘chocolate mint froggs’ with coffee in the lounge in front of a wonderful log fire are mmmmmmm. Can’t wait for the next time. Enjoy.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple