See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 23, 2011

We arrived at Frogg Manor to an extremely cluttered and dirty reception area and no-one there. After ringing the bell and shouting through to the kitchen several times we were finally able to check in. Things didn't get any better when we opened the door to our room. It was old fashioned and dirty with lots of old dusty books, cuddly toys and radios. The wallpaper in the bathroom was filthy and the hand held shower didn't work as it was impossible to find the right temperature - either freezing cold or scalding. Furthermore, for the price we were paying, a cooked breakfast should be included in the cost but there's a premium for anything other than cereal and toast. The hotel is in serious need of an update and a thorough clean and as a result it's vastly over-priced. I wouldn't stay here again if I was paid to do so.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Gillian S
Reviewed August 19, 2011

For a family birthday, we thought, that it would be good fun to visit this, " quirky " hotel. As we drove up to the hotel, my heart sank, the building was extremely neglected. The reception was very messy, with boxes every where, our rooms, which were suites, were very unkempt to say the least but we didn't let it dampen our excitement of a night, of good food and dancing, which we weren't disappointed by, the food was lovely although the service was so bad it was laughable........ with a few glasses of wine! We did dance until the small hours but as the wine haze wore off and we went down for our "chill out lunch" the following day, we had time to look around our hotel, it was filthy, dead flies, dirty carpets in fact every where we looked was covered in dirt and looked like it hadn't been cleaned for years, this is no exaggeration. The food, regurgitated from the night before, the condiments were unrecognizable as to what they once were. We payed our five star hotel price and left. This place may have been "quirky" in its hay day but now its just very over priced with rude staff and filthy from its froggy top to bottom.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank christinepoynton
Reviewed July 25, 2011

This hotel is like no other I have ever stayed, it is very very different. I think it has had its day in relation to quality, it is very run down, the owners are friendly but excentric to say the least. It is best described as "The Real Faulty Towers" with a lot of "The Adams Family" style household. Only go here if you like things a bit weird and you are not at all fussy.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank trav97
Reviewed June 12, 2011

For a stay with a distinct difference , impeccable manners , bespoke service , its like you have been transported to the 1930's (for all the good reasons).
John Sykes and his beautiful partner are delightful hosts and the other staff are lovely too.
Of all the hotels I have ever stayed in this one isd the most unique and enjoyable.
The party nights (Fri & Sat) are legendary....give them a try please....and the gourmet food...can still taste the tender steak I last had...
I have applied many times for the role of Entertainments Manager...if only :-)

Room Tip: just ask John...maybe try haggling...he is a gent.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Colin1957_10
Reviewed February 5, 2011

I was excited and looking forward to a lovely evening with family and friends. We arrived at 8pm for our 8pm booking which we had booked well in advance. After a minute or so waiting to been shown to a seat or to the bar we were greeted with a warm welcome and shown up to the bar for drinks. We sat in the bar for about 30mins and enjoyed our drinks while reading the menu and then ordered our food. The carpet was very dirty but I didn't pass judgment and was generally enjoying taking in the eccentric decor and atmosphere even if it was a little over the top. We were then left waiting for a further 45mins (maybe longer) to be seated at our table which was far too long but forgivable. Sitting down at the table the glasses were very dirty and hadn't been polished at all. There was broken glass on the table and on a side plate also not good and this left a poor impression. We actually had to ask for the broken glass to be removed and a new side plate to be sourced! The food was mostly good but nothing special which would of been fine had the service not been poor and if the prices had reasonable and if the place had actually been cleaned in the past 2weeks. When the mains were about to be served a scruffy looking chief appeared and explained that he could only served half the meals at once for logistical reasons. OK fine I thought no big deal. But it was only a table of 8 so it shouldn't of been a stretch at £42 a head (plus supplements and drinks) to serve all the food at once. Very unprofessional. The chief asked us to start as soon as we received our food so it didn't get cold. He then whether by chance or not managed to serve all 4 men first leaving the 4 ladies patiently waiting (including the birthday girl) while we ate ours. Anyone who knows anything about restaurant service and basic manors knows it is always ladies first! Call me old fashioned but that is how they do it all top quality restaurants across the world. Also for the price I would of expected the waiters and waitresses to pour wine but instead it's help yourself. The deserts were distinctly average.. Not bad but not good. The strawberrys in the frambois soupe were out of season and tough and bitter. The asparagus with the mains also out of season was tough and did not taste fresh. Also served with a carrot plainly boiled with nothing added. Fair enough it's not in season but surely a good chief works around the seasons to provide the best food for what is fresh and available at the time. To the cheifs credit the mash was seasoned well and the meat was tasty although too rare when I asked for medium rare. After the meal we retired upstairs to the lounge where it was a "help yourself" to coffee service which kept running out. Ok not a big deal but after a distinctly average meal it seems plain lazy to not table serve coffee. They were however happy to serve petit fours straight to the table without asking or explaining that they would be added on to the bill should we eat them... Very sneaky... I don't miss a trick! After entertaining a small dog in a jacket and a slightly drunk woman I can only presume was the owner we left disappointed and let down. It was not one major issue I had with this place but lots of little things that added up to make a poor service and what felt like a sort of take it or leave it lazy attitude to the general approach to customer service. The only way I can describe it is average and working in the industry it is sad to see such a lack of enthusiasm and attention to detail. Dirty carpets and dirt glasses is just plain laziness and this place does not deserve the custom it gets. As a customer I felt neither pampered or cared for which dampened the mood of the occasion. For all the eccentric decor there wasn't an ounce of magic from the staff or the food. The owner is apparently very arrogant and there is a sign saying something like " do not send food back it will be not tolerated"... Ok a funny joke if your food is genuinely top notch but this was seriously average. I think the chief/owner needs a reality check.. Your not Raymond Blanc! Maybe some people will like it here but after eating top notch grub from chiefs who have worked in michelin starred in restaurants in London who now cook up North I can say there is food 10times better in Cheshire at a similar price. I wont spill the beans on where you should be going but take some time to search around and you can find much better places out there. This places is punching above it weight and is well over priced for the standard of food and service. It's more a dressed up pub dinner than a smart evening meal and the prices should reflect that. £10 for a Hendrix gin and tonic and £42 a head plus £12 on top of that for a steak!... outrageous! You wouldn't pay that in London!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family