1,494 results
All reviewsrailway linerace coursecity centrescrambled egg and beanswhite horserefurbished roombudget hotelfree breakfastfree car parkexcellent locationthird floorthe sofa bedyogurtwould stay againfive minute walkshort stayno air con
Reviewed June 10, 2018 via mobile

Unfortunately due to no response to my complaint back on 6/4/18 I feel the need to name and shame this hotel!!

We booked here with my two adult children and their boyfriends hoping this hotel would be good, unfortunately it wasn't! My husband and I were given a room which had a adjoining room. Once we arrived all we could hear was a man next door shouting on his phone, this went on for what seemed like a lifetime.
My husband went down to speak to the receptionist to see if we could get moved. He came back and said we had been given a room at the end of the corridor, this pleased me and we moved our belongings.
Wish we hasn't bothered!!!! The room had a filthy fusty smell, the curtains were hanging off, and the shower cubicle was mouldy and dirty!
We was only staying there one night and at this point I didn't and couldn't be bothered to stand complaining again wasting my night away.

When we checked out my husband was going to tell them about our room but there were a lot of guests checking out and didn't feel he wanted to have a slanging match in front of everyone, so we thought we would make a complaint to the manager on their website. This was made back in April, and still I am yet to hear anything!

I think it's absolutely disgusting that my complaint has not been dealt with, and I certainly won't be recommending this hotel to anyone. I come to Chester at least twice a year and stopped in far superior hotels for the same money! One word......shameful!!!

Stayed: June 2018, traveled with family
Lucy H, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2018

Dear Sem W

Thank you for review. Please accept my apologies for the issues you experienced during your stay with us. We are in the process of refurbishing all of our rooms, and only have a small portion left to do.

I'm sorry that you did not receive a response to your complaint, I have checked back and we don't appear to have received it here at the hotel via the website that you have stated. If you would like to contact the hotel direct on hotelreservations@chester-races.com we can respond and look into your complaint further.

Kind regards
Lucy

Reviewed June 7, 2018

I had made a mistake on my booking. I phoned the hotel and fortunately for me I spoke the Angela, who is a most delightful and kind lady. She quickly amended my booking and did not make a drama out of a crisis. I wish all hotel staff could be as proactive and helpful as that good lady. Thank you Angela!

• Stayed: June 2018, traveled solo

Thank you for your review!

Thank you also for your kind comments about Angela, I will pass your comments on to her.

Reviewed June 7, 2018

we booked for 2 nights. We booked a 'quiet room', 'away from lift'. We have used Holiday Inns for over 15 years and had no problem booking quiet rooms online. Why then did Chester put us in the room nearest to the Railway Line less than 50', and when questioned said' you need to ask for a room away from the railway line in the future'.
We booked a double room, in the past all over UK and abroad this has meant a double bed, and in some cases 2 double beds. Not Chester, twin beds, double beds cost more we were told.
Obviously membership of IHG and an IHG card means nothing.
other than the toilet not having been flushed, the room itself was tidy. Lacked air conditioning, but there was a fan, we couldn't open the windows because of the trains. Yes they stopped at 11pm but started at 3am again.
Sadly not the best stay in a holiday Inn.
It is close to the city centre, there is free hot and cold drinks in the lobby and the staff are friendly.

Room Tip: rooms away from the lifts are close to the railway line. rooms at the front of the hotel overlook a busy road
  • Stayed: May 2018, traveled as a couple

Dear JackieHx

I'm sorry that your requests on your room were not met, and that you were given a twin room and not a double that you would have liked.

We do try our best to meet all guest requests, however this is not always possible.

We also value our IHG Rewards Club guest along with all of our other guests too.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind regards

Lucy

Reviewed June 4, 2018 via mobile

Upon arrival, the receptionist was lovely and really informative. The bedroom was nice, tidy and well kept. Cons were the soap dispenser was empty and there was mould in the shower. Also the breakfast was inedible and trust me I really needed a decent breakfast after the night before sausages were rock hard and had a horrible aftertaste, the bacon was hard and the toaster took an age to even heat the bread... was a bit gutted and had to have breakfast elsewhere. I would stay here again but I wouldn't bother paying the extra for a breakfast.

Stayed: June 2018, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bethany M

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy our breakfast, it doesn't sound like our usual high standard - our bacon and sausages are sourced locally from a local butcher, and normally get great reviews.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future to stay in one of our newly refurbished rooms.

Reviewed June 2, 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights at the end of May.
The room had just been refurbished and was very comfortable. The staff were friendly and the breakfast was good.
The room had a great view of the race track, but we were a day late to see the horses.
The only negative was the room was very hot as the window didn’t open much and there’s no a/c, but the fan did an ok job.. it was during the hot humid thundery weather and having lived in Chester for 3 years I know it probably not worth air conditioning for a few days of sunshine!!

Stayed: May 2018, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future