“Convenient hotel location”

Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Abergele
“Convenient hotel location”
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

We staid here for one night with friends. Great location hotel clean very good value for money. Paid £85 for the room which included breakfast which was really good value for money.
Down side
Our room was located under the air con unit so we had a very noisy night & a poor nights sleep. Next time we stay here I will book a room not on top floor.

• Stayed April 2013
Scoullar, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, I am thrilled you found us very good value for money.

Please accept my apologies for the noise caused by our air conditioning unit situated on the roof, unfortunately this does affect three rooms. We do ensure that it is turned off between 10pm and 7am.

We hope to see you again soon.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
East Anglia, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Modern hotel about ten minutes (uphill) walk from the main shopping area of Chester that has many restaurants, note there is no lunch or evening restaurant on site but there are two restuarants on the racecourse and if you book at the hotel there is a 10% discount and they will send a horse and trap to collect you. Rooms clean and modern, free car park. Reception area has 24 hour free tea and coffee from machines and is spacious and airy with lots of glass. Breakfast was continental plus sausages, scrambled eggs and baked beans, plenty of choice. There is a railway line near the hotel but very little noise in the room we were in.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LesGUk
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your time with us at The Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

I am delighted you have enjoyed your stay and rated us 4 star, I am confident many future users will find your review helpful.

I would like to thank your kind comments and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kilmarnock, Scotland
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Great location in a truly lovely town. Clean, comfortable hotel and good staff. Only downer was the breakfast. Very poor choice. Dodgy looking sausages, scrambled egg and beans was the choice. Where is the black pudding, hash browns, decent sausage, bacon, fried eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes etc etc

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Scoullar, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear Guest

I am delighted to read you enjoyed you time with us and your kind comments will also be fedback to the team who I am sure will be thrilled.

I am disappointed to hear you felt the breakfast had a poor choice, as a Holiday Inn Express we are limited to what we can offer for breakfast however I feel we do offer a great continental breakfast with hot offering of scrambled eggs, sausages and baked beans. We ensure we used the highest quality items using branded items, locally sourced sausages and free range eggs. Our breakfast is also advertised on all booking channels.

I appreciate your comments and hope to see you again soon.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2013

this hotel is conveniently situated for the lovely town of Chester. We only had a flying visit on route from Wales to Scotland but we will go back and book for a longer stay. Free parking a big bonus.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JuneR64
Scoullar, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time out to review your recent stay with us, i'm delighted to hear you enjoyed your time and we hope to see you again the the near future where you can enjoy more time with us

Operations manager
Wimborne Minster, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I have stayed at a Holiday Inn before and vowed I would not use the chain again......more fool me for doing so. The room was small with no wardrobe only a 'hanging space', a ventilator above the window could not be shut so I had the sound of whistling wind all night. The TV would not receive BBC 1 or 2 so I missed an interesting programme that I wanted to see. The hotel is also adjacent to a busy noisy rail line.To top it all there was only Luke warm water for the morning shower and shave! I have written about the Inedible Holiday Inn breakfast at another location so at least I avoided this. The staff are functional and seem to be scripted with no real interest in giving you a warm welcome, they give the air that they also would rather be somewhere else. This chain has a formula but it all so very wrong. Twice bitten means I will not be back again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Steve W,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am deeply sorry for the issues you had with your room accommodations and any inconvenience you may have experience with the outside noise. I understand the discomfort this has caused you. I would also like to apologize for the service you received that did not live up to your expectations. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and guest services are superior and strive to be the best hotel around. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed in a family room for one night. Lovely view over the racecourse and a bonus of free parking. Room was fine and bed was comfortable. Reception staff were lovely and directed us to the new affiliated restaurant at the racecourse The White Horse which was excellent. There was even a golf buggy available to take us from the hotel to the restaurant! Breakfast was very good with plenty of choice. Would stay again when in Chester.

Room Tip: Ask for view of racecourse
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank netstore123
Dear guest

Thank you taking the time out to review your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Express, Chester race course, I am delighted to hear you enjoy your time with us and thank you for your kind comments regarding staff, I will pass this on to our team.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our new restaurant at the Race course, and your breakfast with us in the morning.

Once again thank you for taking your time out to review your stay and we hope to see you again in the near future

Operation manager
rishton
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night on Easter Monday. We arrived early and was told the room was not available which was quite ok, so parked the car on the excellent free car park (a bonus in Chester) and went for a walk. On return we were given the keys to our room and our first thoughts were they could have given them to us previously, as the first thing on entering was the terrible sewage smell coming from the bathroom, we then noticed half eaten crisps littering the couch in the room coupled with peanuts embedded in the dust under the bed, obviously left by the previous guests. Water was still in the kettle which was sat on a worktop that had obviously not been wiped down from probably several previous occupants as it was covered in several layers of dust. We should have demanded another room then but as it was only for 1 night we got on with it but the smell from the bathroom kept my wife awake most of the night!
We visit Chester quite regularly for short breaks and used this hotel last year with no problems, yes it is quite reasonably priced compared to other hotels but what price cleanliness!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review of The Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

Please accept my sincere apologies regarding the housekeeping problems you found on arrival. I can assure you this is not our usual standard nor is this acceptable. I have passed your comments on to the Head Housekeeper who assures me the relevant action will be taken. Under no circumstances should a guest check in to a dirty room and will be investigating this further personally.

I have recently been in touch regarding the problems experienced and look forward to welcoming you back to Chester soon; I am keen to ensure that we provide you with the true experience we have to offer at the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

I would like to thank you for bringing this matter to my attention.