“Great Hotel to stay at in Chester!!!”

Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse
Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Walking distance to to rail station, good pubs, dinning, shopping and Cathedral. Very friendly staff. Check out is at 11 but we slept in and ask if we could stay for just one more hour, which they were fine with when we asked, and no extra charge. Felt very safe and Rooms are good size. There is vending machines as well as FREE juices, water and hot beverages (tea, hot chocolate, cappuccino etc) so you can drink all you’ll like:)

Go to the Fat Cat down the street! Very nice place to eat, and there Strawberry daiquiris are so good!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelingbug27
Scoullar, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us. It is always good to read our guests opinions and great to hear we are meeting them.

Once again thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you to the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse in the future.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse

Reviewed August 21, 2011

We spent an overnight here between family visits. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom clean with full soap dispensers, and the double glazing kept out all noise from the nearby railway line. We knew HIE breakfasts to be generous but were not expecting cooked sausages, scrambled eggs or baked beans, which were an added bonus. It was good to see butter and yogurt being stored in fridges and not left out on the countertop as happens in many hotels and guesthouses.

Check-in and check-out were quick and efficient. The friendliness of Lucy (H) and Emma (H) (there are currently THREE Emmas!) combined with their warm welcome, made our stay a good one.

There were two large parties of school age, one American, one Russian, staying at the same time, and whose behaviour was excellent ... the hotel being big enough to accommodate them without disturbing other guests, and able to process both groups plus individuals like ourselves at breakfast without undue delay , uncleared tables or lack of table space. Well done to the youngsters, their accompanying adults and especially the HIE front of house and breakfast teams who worked hard to make sure that everyone was treated with the same courtesy and efficiency.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Scoullar, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

I am thrilled to read you enjoyed your stay. I feel it is important to read every review and use it as a learning tool to ensure that we make the changes needed whilst maintaining the things our guests love.

I am sure your positive comments will boost the team’s morale even higher. Thank you for also mentioning the staff names they will be so pleased to have been remembered. I think it is great to see our guests not only remember the hotel but also walk away with memories of our staff. Your comments will be passed on to the individuals who I am sure will also be thrilled.

Once again I am glad you enjoyed your stay and would love to welcome to the hotel again in the future. Should you require accommodation in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed August 19, 2011

Spent three nights here after our long flight from the states. Very tired upon arrival, and very early for check-in, however, the very friendly lady at check in found us a good (upgraded) room. Excellent front desk attitudes. The daily breakfast was very good and filling. Room was very large and comfortable. City tour bus stopped for us right outside the front of the hotel..Parking very available. Paid in advance (pre-purchase) and got a very good price for our room. Would recommend this hotel and will return ourselves if ever we returned.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

I am glad you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

Firstly may I thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

We are keen to read all reviews and use them as learning tools to enhance our guest’s stay in the future. It is a great help to receive both constructive criticism and positive comments to ensure the correct changes are made and the things people love are kept.

Should you require accommodation in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly as I would love to be able to welcome back to the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

Reviewed August 15, 2011

I have stayed here both on a stag do and for business. It is excellent value. the rooms are basic in some senses but very nice (i had a widescreen telly). there is a late bar, self service breakfast. It also has a great position for accessing Chester.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Nascot10

Dear Guest

I am delighted to read you love this hotel and have stayed on a number of occasions for different reasons and enjoyed your stay with us.

I am sure a lot of future guests will find your review helpful and show that the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse can accommodate every guest's needs.

Reviewed August 11, 2011

We stayed here for a short break and were not disappointed. We paid £50 per night and that included a more than adequte breakfast. I know it`s not a full english, but we were more than satisfied to have sausages and scrambled egg, together with yoghurt, cereal and fruit, especially as other "budget" chains do not include this! Rooms were clean and well decorated, parking was free and plentiful, and the location is excellent! Ok, it`s not the Ritz, but for a bargain break it was more than adequate

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank march78

Dear Guest

I am glad to read you enjoyed your stay and breakfast we have actually recently improved our breakfast with the additions of baked beans, cheese portions and bread rolls. Unfortunately due to brand standards we are unable to offer full English breakfast unlike our sister brand Holiday Inn.

Thank you for your positive comments regarding the hotel and should you ever need accommodation in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed August 9, 2011

Hotel is located near famous Chester Racecourse, actually attached to it and just few minute walk from the Old Town centre and city walls.

I have arrived to Chester quite early in the morning and because of the weather I wanted to check-in early. Unfortunately hotel was full the night before, so no rooms were ready earlier. I appreciate Richards (receptionist) help with that matter anyway. He kindly offered to keep my bags and I could return later. Check-in was quick, efficient and hassle-free. Because I was Priority Club member they tried to upgrade my room to Racecourse view room, but I actually wanted to take anything what was available. I've got a room #324 with street view and...

I was quite surprise with the room decor. I actually prefer more these new HIE colours with blue/gray/white/green elements. That one looked older than actually was, but that might be done because of the local specification - Chester is old... Lobby and reception area is very modern and like completely different style. Anyway, room was spacious enough, but smaller than other HIE "double bed and sofa bed". Room was clean and fresh, but without air-condition. That was quite big problem during the night, because I had to have window open and it was too noisy. Not only cars (I didn't expect not to hear them, obviously hotel is located near busy road) but drunk people going home at early hours and screaming on each other. Of course this is not hotel's fault, but some kind of fan or a/c would be good. I have stayed in few HIE hotels and always loved my bed there - this time I hated that. I don't know why, but I didn't sleep well and I didn't find bed comfortable.

Free Wi-Fi Internet Access is in the room and in all public areas - connection was fast and constant.

Bathroom was OK in size, quite basic. Hm... How to say that... It wasn't dirty or something, but I would pay a little bit more attention to the bathroom cleanness (some spots/marks on the mirror and other small things).

Buffet breakfast was included as always in HIE rates. It is quite simple, but good enough to start your day. Coffee and hot chocolate is absolutely perfect. Staff was present and attentive all time. Even if some kids broke plates they showed up immediately to check is everything OK everybody and to clean the mess they (kids) made. Well done.

As I mentioned before, hotel staff really knows how to deal with guests and their loyal clients (Priority Club). They offer 10% discount on drinks and food purchased in the hotel. My points were allocated just few days after check-out.
Overall I would score this hotel 4-. I didn't like room colours, bed and noise, but all these could be very personal, so my assessment needs to be objective. I think this is good hotel with great staff and convenient location.

Room Tip: Ask for room from Racecourse site - I'm sure it's much quieter!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at The Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

I am keen to read every review whether they are positive or constructive criticism as I believe each review should be used a learning tool to enhance our guest's experience in the future.

I appreciate your comments and have passed them on to the team who I am sure will also find your comments useful.

Thank you for you kind comments and I hope to welcome you to Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse in the future.

Should you need any further information please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed August 1, 2011

my husband and i have just returned from spending a 3 night break combining it with the races, the hotel is lovely as was the staff and location,the breakfast was more than ample. our room was facing the racecourse providing a great view. there was a terraced area outside the hotel, which was lovely to sit on after breakfast reading your free newspaper.. the only negative i could possibly come up with was i couldnt find any info on the website about what was provided in the room, so we went armed with everything but the kitchen sink. there was a kettle, tea and coffee making facilities there was soap, shower gel and cap shampoo and towels and hairdryer. thanx to all the staff for making our stay memorable. teresa and roy

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tawaring
Scoullar, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2011

Dear Guest

I am always keen to read all reviews especially when they are positive. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you choose to stay with us again soon.

We use every review as a tool to enhance our guest's experience and make the relevant changes where necessary. Your positive comments will be passed onto the team which I am sure they too will be thrilled with.

Once again thank you for taken the time to review your recent stay.

Should you need any assistance booking your next trip please do not hesitate to contact me directly.