“Poor Stay”

Ranked #31 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Newport Isle of Wight
“Poor Stay”
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Very poor value, know it is a budget hotel but should still be clean, our room very close too motorway so constant road noise even with double glazing, also curtains too short for window so light from outside invades room. Bathroom is very poor, mould on bath tiles and floor, desperately in need of refurbishment. bed very uncomfortable and moves away from wall so pillows disappear down back, also television is way too high on wall cannot watch without getting a sore neck! Normally use Premier inns and this is nowhere near there standard. Didn't use the restaurant as a very noisy wedding was going on. Did catch local bus into chester which was well worth the visit and found nice restaurant there. Woken up in middle of night by noisy guests 3am and then again at 5am.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TraceyYeates
Grahame C, Hotel Manager at Gateway to Wales Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

I would like to express my apologise and if you would like to discuss your recent stay please do not hesitate in contacting me at the hotel.

Grahame Carrington | Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Flintshire
Reviewed September 6, 2013

A one night stay given as a birthday gift to my husband with evening meal and breakfast.
No complaints whatsoever. We had a lovely room, a fab swimming pool with Gym free of charge. Wonderful food and we shall go again. Highly recommend this Hotel. Freely admit I am not easy to please, but I really could not fault this Hotel in anyway. We booked it by reading reviews . I hope my review will encourage others to go there. The park and ride bus stopped outside entrance every 10 mins to go into Chester which we did during the afternoon which was really nice and did not need to take the car for once.
Well done Days you deserve 5 stars
Mrs Stock

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

2 Thank Iris S
Thank you Mrs Stock for your kind comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel, We look forward to welcome your back to our hotel soon.

Chester UK
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night whilst attending a wedding party. From the excellent service from Anne-Marie at check in, a beautiful lunch and the rooms. I can't fault anything. Room was modern and clean. Free wifi throughout the hotel was a bonus. Didn't use the leisure facilities this time, but have used them before when a member at the gym, they are brilliant. The sauna and steam room are very relaxing. Only thing I would say is more parking spaces could be found somewhere.. I was lucky we arrived early and were able to have a pick of spaces, but those wedding guests arriving later to stay/or just for the evening were going around the car park looking for spaces.. Maybe they could do something with that plot of land next to the hotel?

I would definitely return again, for £46 a night, it was a bargain. I've paid more than that for a travelodge stay in September!

Anne-Marie at the reception desk/restaurant was superb. Extremely friendly and chatty (not like a robot like you can find in some hotels) but remaining professional.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TCDSTE
Thank you for taking the time in leaving a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel and We hope to welcome your back to our hotel soon.

Pwllheli, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Thank you once again for a warm welcome and excellent service. Our room was as clean as usual, the evening meal was delicious and good value. Perhaps you could leave menus in the guest rooms, I am sure more people would be tempted to use the restaurant then. I enjoyed the leisure suite, my only comment wold be a few missing tiles at the edge of the pool, but I am sure you have that in hand for repair. Overall excellent value, our favourite thing is that the hotel staff are always so pleasant and helpful. it really does make a difference, and is consistently good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back of the hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lynseyshols
Thank you for taking the time in leaving a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel and we hope to welcome your back to our hotel soon.

UK
Reviewed August 5, 2013

The room was nothing like the pictures on their website. Low quality bed and walls covered in stains and/or attempts to cover stains with none matching paint. The bathroom floor was wet on arrival and the bathroom smelt of damp and mold thoughtout the stay. The room was ground floor and cars parked literally 2 foot from the window ! The curtains had to be shut all the time we were in the room as people could see in and there were no blinds or net curtains just a thick pair. Such a shame to have to shut them on a sunny evening. We used the pool which was very shabby with filth around it and around the drains by the pool. Sides of the pool were all chipped. We asked what the locker system was and were told 50p was required but when we got in it was a padlock needed that the hotel receptionist knew nothing about and there were no gym staff so we had to take our things by the pool. The location is far out of chester £12+ in a taxi and by a busy road. Maybe if you got a nicer room it would be better ! The smell of damp was awful and I would not stay again !

• Stayed August 2013
Grahame C, Manager at Gateway to Wales Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2013

Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and we will utilise your response by continuing to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be.

Grahame Carrington | Hotel Manager

Travelers are raving about these Chester hotels

Chester
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Hotel is good value, basic but adequate. My only complaint is that they allocated my room to someone else who came in whilst I was in the shower. As a female traveling alone this was disturbing and no one even bothered to phone the room to apologise. Only when I went down later and mentioned it did the girl say that she was sorry. If I had not mentioned it they certainly wasn't going to!. Breakfast was good and the lady at reception when I checked out was most helpful and friendly

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Grahame C, Hotel Manager at Gateway to Wales Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2013

Please accept my personal and sincere apologise for the disturbance you received whilst staying at our hotel, following your comments we have reviewed our procedures in the hotel and will endeavour to insure this does not happen again in the future. I would also like to apologise for the team not contacting you directly to apologise for the mistake on allocation of your room.

Leamington Spa, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here on several occasions while on business and have never had any complaints. Whilst the hotel may need a touch of paint here and there in the corridors it is a busy place and the walls will get scuffed because of the volume of traffic and the hotel in generally clean. I've only eaten here a couple of times but the food is good and breakfast is always spot on.

The rooms are great with a very comfy bed and lots of space - you should not feel cramped in them unless you are used to sleeping in an aircraft hanger!

I mainly use this hotel because I get Days Inn loyalty points but this is definitely one of the better Days Inn Hotels. There is also a pool, spa and gym which is free for guests and the pool is actually a decent temperature. My only gripe here is that a lot of the lockers in the men's changing rooms don't have working locks but that's only a minor complaint. There is also free wi-fi in all rooms (but the one's furthest from reception do have a weak signal)

I've always found the staff to be very friendly and helpful so no complaints there.

I have given this a 4* review overall but have given 5* for value as you do get a lot for your money.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Mike M
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at our hotel, Days Hotel Chester North.

We are pleased that your stay was again a good stay. I am pleased to stay since your last visit to our hotel we have a lot of areas decorated and also had new carpets laid throughout the hotel, i am sure you will be very pleased with our improvements on your next visit to us.

Once again thanks you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you again at the Days Hotel Chester North in the near future.