“Another visit”

Gateway to Wales Hotel
Ranked #34 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

This was our second stay at days hotel in Chester and again we were very happy. From the minute we walked in till the minute we left, the staff couldn't do enough for us, we arrived and had a couple of drinks in the bar, which were brought to our table. Very chilled and relaxed atmosphere. We decided to make use of the health suite (pool, sauna etc) very clean and relaxed:)
Our room again was clean, comfy bed with a good sized tele, condiments, tea coffee etc.
After a nice hot shower, we went to the restaurant for a meal, the food and service was second to none. There were bits that could do with a lick of paint or a deep clean in some carpets, but Overall we have stayed at some other hotels nearby, paying twice the price and not received the same service as what we have done in days hotel. Big thanks to all staff and highly reccomended:)

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank cocosmurf
Grahame C, Hotel Manager at Gateway to Wales Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at our hotel, Days Hotel Chester North. I am pleased your stay was what you have come to expect from us, i will ensure to pass your comments onto all of our team who are pleased to receive all our guests’ comments.

Once again thanks you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you again at the Days Hotel Chester North in the near future.

Kindest Regards
Grahame Carrington | Hotel Manager

Reviewed May 19, 2013

We booked this hotel for a night out in Chester and would not recommend this hotel to anyone.This hotel is dirty although it is called Days in Chester north it is in fact in Wales and approx 8miles from Chester. The carpets are dirty and stained and the decor dated in the corridors.
Although cheap I think it is misleading advetising and should be Days Hotel North Wales.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank roger h
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We held our daughter's wedding here last weekend and had a wonderful day. Everything from start to finish was fantastic, the food, attention to detail, service, everyone enjoyed themselves. The staff couldn't do enough for us. They made sure that my daughter had exactly the day she wanted and will remember forever. Many thanks to Kaylee and Grahame for ensuring that the day ran so smoothly.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Me and my partner came here for my birthday and we stayed for 2 nights.. The hotel from the outside looks abit dated, however inside is slightly better. When we arrived, we was given our room key- we had booked a double room and the room we had got given was a twin- so we had to go down to reception and get this changed without any problems, the woman on the reception desk was on the phone but eventually we got it changed. The room itself isn't too bad, the double bed is rather comfortable and there was black out blinds and also black out curtains which I thought was really good. There were stains on the carpet itself, and there was writing on the wall in a different coloured paint - surely this should have been painted over in the correct colour to match the wall. There are condiments provided - milk, sugar, coffee and tea along with a kettle and two cups, I felt that there wasn't enough milk for the amount of condiments there was so we had to go to the reception for more milk- this wasn't a problem and we got more. The room itself was spacious and was generally clean, a maid came in on our second day and changed the bed, made it up, cleaned the room and gave us fresh towels which I thought was quite good.. the only things that I could fault the room for is that the television wasn't in the centre of the wall to match up where the bed was which was rather annoying. The (rather small) bathroom wasn't that bad, was clean and quite modern with the tiling and the floor, the shower was powerful with many settings and was over a bath. The only problem was the shower curtain didn't keep the water from the shower out from going onto the floor so it was eventually soaked and we had to use towels to clean it up. Only fault was when we first arrived and used the bathroom to put our shampoo etc, there was two pubic hairs around the sink which wasn't pleasant..... apart from that it wasn't too bad. The facilities that the hotel offers are adequate- the decor around the swimming pool is rather dated, could do with getting refurbished but I guess it isn't the decor you look at, you go to swim. The swimming pool itself is ok - not deep enough for diving though and it isn't a full length swimming pool which is a shame. The jacuzzi is lovely and relaxing, however it could do with a clean around the sides as there are 'tide' marks and grime which put me off going in for a long time. The gym is situated upstairs and is fantastic; it has weights, treadmills, bikes, rowing machines, free-weights and machine weights..also an exercise ball and a water drinks machine. It isn't a fancy gym but does the job if you wish to go for an hour or so. The sauna and steam room are both great, slightly small but both good enough for what you use them for. The hotel itself is situated just outside of chester with a pub across the road and Amantola curry house literally a two minute walk which was very nice. It isn't far from Chester city centre and even though it is right next to a busy road there was no noise coming through our windows at night or even during the day - unless we had our window open. We cannot comment on the breakfast or the meals they serve as we didn't try them - reception staff told us that if we wanted breakfast it would be £7.50 per person, per night, which we thought was abit over priced to say some cafes in the centre were offering a full english for £5. Myself and my partner thought it was a decent hotel, with good facilities and the staff were friendly and helpful, it might be a short drive from Chester city centre but wasn't any hassle getting there. We would stay again here but it's a shame breakfast wasn't included.

A little tip - for anyone going in the city centre and want car parking, do not pay £4 for an hour etc, go onto Tesco car park and it is only £1.50 an hour. Car parking on the little car parks that are dotted around are free after 3pm also.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alfisrah
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We attended my sons wedding at this hotel, can honestly say it was a really good day, the staff couldn't do enough for them, they were friendly and efficient, the hotel itself is lovely, the food was fantastic, but the carpets were a disgrace, they were filthfy which unfortunately detracts from the good service and general ambience of the hotel, Yes its on the A55 but they don;t hid the fact there is only so much you can do about noise, Woudl recommend the breakfast its plentiful and really tasty

Overall we had a really good time

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank welshwizard_8
Reviewed April 25, 2013

The promo shots of this hotel I swear have been taken at a completely different hotel.

Floors were not clean in the room, there were tiles hanging off the wall in the bathroom.

The corridors were grubby and there was a pungent bad smell in the reception area.

I booked this hotel last minute as my usual hotel in chester was fully booked. This hotel is 5 miles north of Chester. It is not in Chester at all!.

Best thing about this hotel was it's decent free wifi connection. I won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SnuffleBadger
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I never usually write reviews but feel its necessary in this instance. Having booked two rooms for myself and family to stay at at Days Hotel Chester North for two nights. It's safe to say I would never stay there again.
READ THIS BEFORE YOU BOOK!

After an initial hiccup with check in- the man couldn't find our booking (This could be because he was too busy moaning to a colleague about some issue or other) we took the given directions along the corridor to our rooms. Frankly it was pretty scary! The carpet was full of stains, the walls were dirty, the paint work was chipping off the doors and the glass panels were filthy!
I know the corridors are communal areas and are excessively used but surely they give a guest a first impression about where they are staying so you can imagine my apprehension about the rooms.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the bedrooms were 'better'.
The reasonably clean and the beds were comfy.
I decided as I had to stay there for two nights that I'd try to overlook the smell of urine that hit me as i walked in the door coming from the bathroom and perhaps the concussion i received from the shower curtain pole falling as i touched it and hitting me on the head helped me to tolerate the hairs that floated to the surface of the water as I ran a bath, the ill fitting flooring, the mould around the bath area and floor and the stains on the door. Gross!

Cable tv- joke!!! We had about 5 channels only!

After a very long and busy day we settled in bed to sleep for the second night at about midnight to be awoken at 1am by loud shouting, swearing laughing and slamming doors along the corridor and directly outside our room. The drunken revellers finally gave up around 4:30am!!!!
The staff did apologise about not letting us know there was a party staying that night which clearly meant they knew it was likely to be an 'unsettled' evening! Frankly this wasn't really good enough when you have an early start for a long drive home.

The steam room and sauna were great, the pool and jacuzzi were battered around the edges!

The food was tasty except what I planned to eat from the menu on the website wasn't available as they'd changed the menu but hadn't bothered to update the site one!

Stupidly I believed the 4star rating that flashed up on the trip advisor traveller rating on the booking site. Since coming home I now see that it only actually achieves a 3star hotel rating. Suitable I suppose.
I will definitely stick to Travelodges or Premier Inns in future!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family